Custom Tikka T3X Builds

Eagle

WKR
I currently have two Tikka T3X actions with a smith, one magnum, one standard, and he'll be building a 7 PRC and 6.5-284 off the actions. I plan to make these guns clones of one another so that I can hopefully transition back and forth seamlessly between them. Plans for the builds are below, and I'm looking for any other ideas on things I could do to the guns to reduce weight and maximize consistency and accuracy.

- Actions will be milled to include a "sheep port" and any other milling the smith is comfortable with to reduce weight
- Replace factory bolt shroud and handle with Lumley shroud and superlite handle
- Replace factory recoil lug with Lumley
- Spiral Flute Bolt
- Flute barrels as far as the smith is comfortable
- Barrel Contours will be Lilja 4 for the 7PRC and 3 for the 6.5-284 with flutes, 24"
- Thread Barrels for the smiths brake
- Rifles will be Bedded into Wildcat Composite Stocks with Microcell Pads
- Stocks will be modified by Wildcat Composites to remove the sling stud blocks
- Cerakote Actions and Barrels
- Talley extra low rings with Trijicon Credo 2.5-15X42 scopes

Finished weight with rings and scope should end up right at between 6.75-7.25lbs.

Last edited:

Macintosh

WKR
Well, if you want to save weight ditch the decelerator pad and use a microcell pad. Thats a quarter pound savings right there for $30.

I'd not want to aggressively flute an already light profiled barrel.

If you can specify barrels contours to the factory tikka profile, i'd look at the possibility of getting a little more meat on the muzzle for bigger threads than 1/2x28.

Single shot with 28 nosler is one thing, will you be able to eject it without pulling the bolt? I've not looked into this on T3s. Personally, if you're going for an ultralight rifle the juice don't seem worth the squeeze to do a 28 nosler over 7 PRC if you have to single load it.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

WKR
I'd not want to aggressively flute an already light profiled barrel.

If you can specify barrels contours to the factory tikka profile, i'd look at the possibility of getting a little more meat on the muzzle for bigger threads than 1/2x28.

Single shot with 28 nosler is one thing, will you be able to eject it without pulling the bolt? I've not looked into this on T3s. Personally, if you're going for an ultralight rifle the juice don't seem worth the squeeze to do a 28 nosler over 7 PRC if you have to single load it.
I don't think ejecting will be a concern, especially given the larger ejection port provided with milling. For the tikka, the actions are identical regardless of magnum or LA/SA, so the caliber decision is simply based around if we can make the 28 nosler work with the limited action/mag length for 195 eol's, if we can't, I'll probably pivot to a 7PRC, but I'll cross that bridge when/if it comes.

I don't think ejecting will be a concern, especially given the larger ejection port provided with milling. For the tikka, the actions are identical regardless of magnum or LA/SA, so the caliber decision is simply based around if we can make the 28 nosler work with the limited action/mag length for 195 eol's, if we can't, I'll probably pivot to a 7PRC, but I'll cross that bridge when/if it comes.

28 Nosler Case Length: 2.590"
195 EOL Nose Length: 0.874"
COAL with ogive seated at case mouth: 3.464" - too long for tikka factory style mag as far as I know.

Sounds like a lousy companion for an ultralight rifle with magazine/action length restrictions.

Also, 28 nosler is a fatter rebated rim case than 300wm and 7rm that tikka LA mags are designed for. PRC doesn't have the rebated rim and isn't as fat. I'm not aware if there is a factory style magazine that would work well (mountain tac?) or if you'd need to modify something.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

WKR
Wasn’t aware of it being a fatter rim, probably won’t work with the tikka mag bolt given that, so appreciate the heads up there. 7PRC is currently sounding like the best option.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Excited to see the end result. I’m considering the same to shed 3-4 oz for a few hundred $. But debating if it is worth it. Followed a few other threads here with folks doing the same and can’t seem to justify just yet….hoping to though.

ID_Matt

WKR
28 nosler with a pencil thin fluted barrel in a tikka sounds a bit wishful to me, at least for accuracy. 195 would be stuffed pretty deep in the case, and burning 85 grains of powder or whatever it is down a pencil barrel sounds like a lot of whip. Agree with the comments about the 7 PRC being a good option, but I would do it with the 180 class bullets. My gunsmith and I looked at the 7 PRC in a tikka action with mtn tactical mag and the 195 - it is tight. The 180's give much more breathing room.

As for rings, the Hawkins long range hybrids seem like they would be a good bet.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

WKR
28 nosler with a pencil thin fluted barrel in a tikka sounds a bit wishful to me, at least for accuracy. 195 would be stuffed pretty deep in the case, and burning 85 grains of powder or whatever it is down a pencil barrel sounds like a lot of whip. Agree with the comments about the 7 PRC being a good option, but I would do it with the 180 class bullets. My gunsmith and I looked at the 7 PRC in a tikka action with mtn tactical mag and the 195 - it is tight. The 180's give much more breathing room.

As for rings, the Hawkins long range hybrids seem like they would be a good bet.
Hawkins rings look great, another option that wasn’t available during my last build.

amassi

WKR
I almost suggested that as well, being a SAUM fan. However, I do think the 7 PRC will fit well with 180's and provide a bit more horsepower, as that is what it seems the goal is.
I reccomend the saum as it's the limit I'd want to shoot out of a tikka with a 24" braked barrel. The prc and 28 nosler would be hard passes.

Honestly if he wants a sheep capable 7mm in an ultralight tikka I think the 284 win is the answer.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

WKR
I reccomend the saum as it's the limit I'd want to shoot out of a tikka with a 24" braked barrel. The prc and 28 nosler would be hard passes.

Honestly if he wants a sheep capable 7mm in an ultralight tikka I think the 284 win is the answer.
Sheep would be covered by the 6.5-284 if I’m ever fortunate enough to hunt them. I’m leaving the final barrel contour up to the smith, but the goal is to go as light as makes sense for the cartridge.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

WKR

What contour 24" barrel would you feel comfortable with for a 7PRC? I may go up a size on contour just to ensure the barrels are adequate. The issue with the 284win is the 6.5-284 will essentially do the same. I had originally wanted to go 280ai, but again, the 6.5-284 covers that same territory with bullets that have higher BC's and SD's.

Last edited:

amassi

WKR
What contour 24" barrel would you feel comfortable with for a 7PRC? I may go up a size on contour just to ensure the barrels are adequate. The issue with the 284win is the 6.5-284 will essentially do the same. I had originally wanted to go 280ai, but again, the 6.5-284 covers that same territory with a bullets that have higher BC's and SD's.
Bartlein 3 as a minimum, I'd prefer a 3b.

2-Stix

WKR
I used all Mountain Tactical parts on both my Tikkas and I am happy with it. My .308 weighs 7#5oz with a Leupold vx3HD 3.5x10x40 empty mag and shoots 1/2" groups with factory Federal Barnes TSX 165 and my 7mmRM weights 8#7oz with a Leupold vx5HD 3x15x44 empty mag and shoots 5/8" groups with Federal Barnes TSX 160. My .308 we pretty dang light. I reach for it most of the time.