Custom rifle stocks?

Jdoc

Lil-Rokslider
So i have been to the far reaches of the internet looking for a ruger M77 tang safety mannlicher stock and have failed. Since i have not found one i have decided to go a different route and make one or have one made. Has anyone on here ever made their own carbon fiber stock before? Looking for some insight on if i should mold a block and mill it, mold the stock and inlet it, mold the stock and the inlet ect ect. If anyone has some advice, knows someone or just wants to help me with this cool project of merging the old with the new then let me know!

OP
Jdoc

Jdoc

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone at all have some insight? I will do this project blind but could use some pointers.

Alg22

FNG
I can share the little research I did. I have a 1970 Ruger M77 Tang 270 Win that I was looking for new stock.

Manners EH1 - buy blank and have local gunsmith do the inleting

Hello sir,
Unfortunately we are not inletting for Ruger actions at this time, we would be happy to sell you a Flat top EH1 stock if you have a gunsmith that is capable of inleting the Action area/ barrel contour and bottom metal.

Thank you
sales

MANNERS COMPOSITE STOCKS
1232 Swift Ave | N Kansas City MO 64116

Also check out Brown Precision, read somewhere they support M77 Tang.

Boyds has several laminate wood stocks for Ruger M77 Tang. You can use their website to customize.
I bought a Boyd's Featherweight Forest Camo $169 from R&S Precision Sports. It shipped right away. Getting ready to try it.

Adding response from McMillan who do make stock for Ruger M77 but requires gunsmith to do the inletting as well:

Thank you for your interest in McMillan Stocks.

Though we still offer stocks for RUGER MOD 77 rifles we stopped doing in letting for them here at McMillan. I have listed or recommended Dealer and Gunsmith Doug St. Arbor . Doug can help walk you through the purchase and installation of your rifle Into a McMillan stock. I have also copied him on this email so that he can assist you with your request as he may need additional information.

Doug St. Arbor

Saint Arbor Customs.

[email protected]

623-296-4017

Update: Rule out HS Precision. Got a response from them no support for Ruger M77 with tang safety.

Last edited:
OP
Jdoc

Jdoc

Lil-Rokslider
Yep i went down that same road and got the same response from the big names in the game. Also the only stocks that had to offer where standard ones and not full length.

How's it been going? I just hopped in the same boat picked up an m77 tang from a guy at work I want badly to get into a nice aftermarket stock. 7mm mag let's get this rolling again lol

LRI_Chad

FNG
So i have been to the far reaches of the internet looking for a ruger M77 tang safety mannlicher stock and have failed. Since i have not found one i have decided to go a different route and make one or have one made. Has anyone on here ever made their own carbon fiber stock before? Looking for some insight on if i should mold a block and mill it, mold the stock and inlet it, mold the stock and the inlet ect ect. If anyone has some advice, knows someone or just wants to help me with this cool project of merging the old with the new then let me know!

From the conventional standpoint:

Typically, you'd make your "plug" to ensure you have the desired shape. From there, if you're going to lay this up in glass or graphite, you'd either have a pair of cavity molds machined, or you could use your plug and cast the mold.

Once you get that far, it's a matter of sorting out the best strategy for cutting your fabric, wetting it (or use prepreg), and laying it up inside the mold. Last, a big inflatable "condom" to serve as a bladder for ensuring the matting follows the inside contour of the mold.

Mind you, none of this is trivial or cheap.

Good luck.

OP
Jdoc

Jdoc

Lil-Rokslider
So i personally spoke to the guys a macon and they said they have the tools to duplicate a stock even if it is a full length mannlicher stock. So i may go that way for a backup in case i really mess up my original when trying to make a mold with it. Link added. https://www.macongunstocks.com/services.html

Macintosh

WKR
Personally I’d go with wood on a mannlicher. Macon and many, many other gunmakers who make wood stocks can make one for you. The duplicated stock is a “semi inlet” usually and requires hand-fitting, final shaping, bedding, finishing and checkering. You might be able to find someone who can cut one close enough to be a drop-in needing only bedding, maybe not.
Its not cheap, but in the scheme of making a mold to make a carbon stock I bet its not so bad. You CAN do this yourself if you want, it just takes a lot of patience and time. Macon, or call Gene Similion (generally regarded as one of the best stock duplicators in the business), and they can steer you into a blank, a smith if you want, etc.

Wapiti1

WKR
As noted MPI is a good option. Or talk to Rick Steinhour at Extreme Rifle Works. He does some nice work with modifying MPI stocks.

I have made two composite stocks. One from a mold and the other I hand laid over a balsa/foam core. It's not difficult to do. Just messy, and takes some planning.

Jeremy