Cush Self Inflating Pad

JCook5003

FNG
So I know this has been covered but I couldn’t find an answer for exactly my train of thought. So figured I’d ask here.

I am new to backpack hunting but have been a fairly active backpacker before I had kids.

Most of my gear has been sold. Passed down or is just dated. So I’m trying to gear up for my first backcountry elk hunt this fall in CO.

My last pay was a Big Agnes QCore. I know lots of people speak highly of them. I wasn’t a fan. It was a good pad for inflatable but I never slept great.

I’m hoping to transition to a bag with built in pad sleeve. (BA, Seirra, zenBivy)

I’m thinking of picking up a self inflating foam pad. Maybe 3” thick. I know it’s going to be heavy and roll up big.

I’m willing to sacrifice ultra light weight to be really comfortable.

Anyone else carry a “large” foam pad and get a good nights sleep worth the extra weight?

Thoughts?

I'm a big fan of self inflating pads. I like and trust the thermarest brand, but I bought a Sea to Summit Comfort Plus self inflating pad and think it's great. I got the large size. It's big and heavy and I only use it for car camping, but if you are willing to pay the price for comfort it might be worth it for a primo nights sleep.

Nick992

Lil-Rokslider
I'm happy with my Alps inflatable pad. I grew up with therma rest, which are fine, but I like the extra air cushion height with the alps. I don't find the foam ones comfy enough to be worth the space.

OP
J

JCook5003

FNG
I'm a big fan of self inflating pads. I like and trust the thermarest brand, but I bought a Sea to Summit Comfort Plus self inflating pad and think it's great. I got the large size. It's big and heavy and I only use it for car camping, but if you are willing to pay the price for comfort it might be worth it for a primo nights sleep.

This is what I’m thinking. We plan to set up a base camp with a cabin tent and cots and hike in around 4 miles beyond that camp backpacking style. So I’ll really only need to carry it when setting and breaking camp. We have a solid plan and some guys who’ve been hunting this area for several years going with us.

Plan is to spike camp out from that base camp in potentially two or three areas over a 21 day hunt.

I know they are heavy and bulky. But I think I’m to the point I’m willing to strap one to my shelf on my frame pack and deal with it to be able to actually rest and recover at night.