Cross country drive for elk...Mini-Van?

DWinVA

WKR
My cousin and I have a guided archery hunt booked this fall. We've been trying to decide on flying versus the 24 hour oneway drive and I think we've finally decided to drive. Neither one of us really have a good traveling vehicle and are looking at renting a mini-van and was wondering what other folks do. I know it wil handle our gear on the way out but if the stars align and we both kill elk will it handle our gear and both elk in coolers on the way home?

God Bless.

24 hours one way? wow

Ship your gear to guide; Take on the plane your bow/Gun and Optics. Fly..you will have much more time.

mt100gr.

WKR
A minivan will have the room for it, weight-wise I would say get the rental insurance and fill it up! It's gonna squat, but if the tires are good I think you'll be golden:) she may ride a bit rough as it will be pretty well bottomed out....

BSeals71

WKR
You could always ship your gear back home and use the space in your vehicle for antlers and meat in coolers. Gas prices are pretty cheap now but who knows what they will be in a few months.

I work for the airlines and can fly for free jump-seating; even checking free bags.
I figure the cost of driving out to CO & NM from SC (+1,700 miles one way) and having my own truck is still cheaper than compared to renting a car for several weeks.

I usually do rental cars for short three to four-day scouting trips.

Shrek

WKR
You say you don't have good traveling vehicles but what do you have ? I take old vehicles every year and do ok. This year when it got really cold my Ranger gave me fits but I may replace all the sensors and take it again. Spend the money you would be spending on a rental and put your vehicle in good shape.

Shrek

WKR
I also love the drive. I get off the interstate and see America. I also get to stop and meet people in person that I've met online and since I'm DIY I can change things up on a whim. I wouldn't trade my roadtrip for free airfare and shipping. It's part of getting out of my routine.

Bar

Banned
There's always a way to haul an elk if you try hard enough.

Arlee.jpg

Mosby

WKR
I think you need 150 quart coolers with ice for elk and I don't know if you could two of them in a mini van and if you did, not sure the shocks/suspension would support that much weight in the back end, if you got two elk. I would check on the weight capacity of the mini van before I take it. Take a couple of coolers over to the rental place and see if they fit and how much room is left. My hunting rig is a 2002 Suburban and a couple of coolers in that takes up quite a bit of room. A small U Haul trailer might be another option to take out and back, depending on what your other vehicles are. I am sure you will figure it out. Good luck.

Shrek

WKR
There's always a way to haul an elk if you try hard enough.

Arlee.jpg

That's just awesomeness right there ! The best picture I've see is the small car with an elk as big as the car strapped to the roof. I got to go Google now.

OP
DWinVA

DWinVA

WKR
Thanks for the information. We've done the math over and over and even renting a vehicle is cheaper for us combined than flying (especially if gas stays around $2.00). I like being in control and really don't like the idea of all the logistics and $$$ needed to get everything back home if we are successful. I drove cross country to the Grand Canyon a few years ago (actually in a rented mini-van) with my wife and didn't mind the drive but we did take more time than we would for this trip. My cousin has never seen the country so we are allowing that to be part of the adventure.

God Bless.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
My elk hunters bring two coolers per elk hunter and a quartered bull will fit. So you'd need 3-4 big coolers. My wife's minivan has a trailer hitch

OP
DWinVA

DWinVA

WKR
So I have one of the big white Igloo coolers from Wally World. Is that 150 quart? I'm not sure. Four of those would be a load in about anything, much less a mini-van. 300-400 pounds per elk less weight of the coolers?

God Bless.

jlivgren

FNG
My father in law just drove to Florida and back for less then $250. If time is not a crunch I would drive for sure.

Shrek

WKR
I have a couple of car rental places down the street and I see they offer pickups. If you're going to rent you might want to see about one.

ridgefire

WKR
I have a 165 quart cooler and can fit a whole elk in it so i think you would have enough room if you pack fairly light. I would try getting one with a rack on top to put the racks up there.

rayporter

WKR
there are options to hauling meat if you think outside the box.

a 48inch plastic tool box does wonders if you put some dry ice in and a few foam pads over it. dry ice is available during season.

i use a trailer and just put a tarp down and a closed cell pad down and wrap the meat with some dry ice inside. throw a pad over it and it will be frozen in 24 hours.

dont forget that you cant haul the bones through many states and the head has to be cleaned or boiled to legally take it through some states.

OP
DWinVA

DWinVA

WKR
Thanks for the heads up on the heads and bones. :D I've have never heard that. Will have to check out the states that are on our route home.

God Bless.