Critique my 300 Win Mag build

Hello!

I’m new to the forum. I’ve been lurking for a while but finally decided to ask a question. I’m planning a build for a mountain hunting rifle in 300 win mag. This will be my first bolt rifle build but I have built an AR in the past. This will mostly be used for spring bear and elk. I have a Weatherby 308 that I use for medium game. Goals are as follows:

1. Lightweight while still being shootable
2. As short of a barrel as possible for packing during long treks into the mountains
3. Ideally can shoot factory ammunition well as I don’t currently reload. I don’t have access to any ranges longer than 600 yds so I’m not too worried about real long distance stuff

Here is my planed build:

-Stiller Predator long action or Zermatt Origin long action. Any thoughts on either of these?
-Carbon six barrel in 20-22in barrel. Again any recommendations? I would love a 20in barrel but not sure if that would be pushing too short and getting picky on ammo. Planning on prefit.
-Rokstock
-Timmy Trigger
-Area 419 Hellfire Brake
-Glass yet to be decided but possibly Vortex Razor LHT

Any other thoughts or general recommendations?

Thank you!

I have an origin action and have no complaints. Feeds very well and is pretty smooth.

If you can I really recommend getting a suppressor instead of the brake. Especially since you’re already going with a short barrel.

I think most peoples critique will land on the cartridge choice and the LHT.

Since you’re shooting factory ammo a 300, 7, or 6.5 prc might even be a better choice due to availability and the latter 2 will have less recoil without limiting your range or terminal performance.

wnelson14

WKR
I like your stock choice.

Might want to look into how long dudes are waiting for carbon 6s before you dump big $ on a bedazzled McGowan.
Agree don’t do it, look at the Carbon six holiday sale thread. Ordered mine November 3rd ish was told in Feb, probably would be May but don’t count on it. Well it’s May 28th and I haven’t heard anything. Already bought a tikka instead of the build.

For your application I would recommend the following:

Rather than a 300WM, I would be building a 6.5 or 7 PRC, or a 30-06 or 280 (or AI).
Either of the actions you listed are good. I prefer a shorter bolt throw myself.
I would stick with a fluted steel barrel rather than carbon. They just aren’t worth the money. Especially if you aren’t going to suppress it.
21” barrel, regardless of chambering.

Mag_7s

WKR
For your brake choice, I would take a good look at Salmon River Solutions or MBMs offerings. I believe they have the best recoil reduction on the market.

I have tried a few carbon wrapped barrels, but my last few builds have gone back to fluted stainless barrels. I can get a stainless barrel lighter than a carbon barrel and it will still cost me less after the addition of fluting.

OP
N
I have looked into other chamberings. My main reasoning behind 300 win mag is just the ammo availability. I do like the PRC offerings but I'm concerned I might be in a situation where I can't find ammo. Convince me otherwise?

I have looked into other chamberings. My main reasoning behind 300 win mag is just the ammo availability. I do like the PRC offerings but I'm concerned I might be in a situation where I can't find ammo. Convince me otherwise?
Nothing wrong with a 300 WM if that's what you want. Some guys are simply moving to smaller cartridges to minimize recoil. Magnums work fine if you shoot them well.

Fireflyfishing

Lil-Rokslider
I have an Area 419 Hellfire I use on my 300 WSM. Calms it to somewhere in between .223 and .243. Very easy to shoot and I can see my impacts. Ear pro is a must however.

OP
N
Well you all got my head turning now once I looked at the 6.5 PRC and 7 PRC. I might just have to give one a try.

Any recommendations for steel barrel manufacturers? I would like to go prefit. But if I could find a stainless barrel that around the same weight as a carbon I would definitely consider that.

Well you all got my head turning now once I looked at the 6.5 PRC and 7 PRC. I might just have to give one a try.

Any recommendations for steel barrel manufacturers? I would like to go prefit. But if I could find a stainless barrel that around the same weight as a carbon I would definitely consider that.

PVA now has 0.680 and 0.750 no taper contours available for their prefits. I just got one of them with muzzle threads for less than the price of a carbon blank. At shorter lengths, the 0.750 contour will be about the same weight as a proof sendero. The 0.680 will obviously be lighter but wont have 0.100' shoulder for a muzzle device with 5/8" threads and you'd have to use 9/16" instead.

Marshfly

WKR
Skip the break and get a can...I shot my 300 winmag 1 time with a break and no ear pro. Quick shot on an antelope that popped up out of draw...break hasn't been on it since.
This, why anyone would start a build with a brake and not a can today is beyond my comprehension. I'm to the point where I walk off the range if someone shows up with a brake. And I certainly won't hunt with someone using one. Way too easy to get caught up in the moment and end up mildly concussed with hearing damage.

3. Ideally can shoot factory ammunition well as I don’t currently reload. I don’t have access to any ranges longer than 600 yds so I’m not too worried about real long distance stuff
You most definitely don't need a 300WM with this requirement and almost certainly would benefit from using a smaller cartridge like a 6.5PRC or 6CM for this application.
-Stiller Predator long action or Zermatt Origin long action. Any thoughts on either of these?
Stiller hasn't exactly kept up with the competition, it really doesn't need to be in anyone's running for a new build. Well reviewed long action options for R700 pattern actions would be the Zermatt Origin and ARC Coup De Grace if you want to stick around that pricepoint and have the option for prefits.
-Area 419 Hellfire Brake
Heavily consider ordering a suppressor if they're legal where you live.
-Glass yet to be decided but possibly Vortex Razor LHT
If that's your pricepoint then consider the Maven RS1.2 (MRAD should be in stock soon), Nightforce SHV F1 4-14x50, or Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44 FFP.

Robobiss

Lil-Rokslider
The ammunition question is easily solved buying a year or twos worth at a time. The PRC’s are here to stay. Save your brass, you will probably reload someday if you get into the long range thing even a little bit.

The old “what if I bring everything but forget ammunition and need to buy some at a hardware store in East bumbfuck?” Routine is a silly one. If you forget your bullets you probably have bigger problems than that going on. And then what are the chances that the dusty box of 300WM at the hardware store is what you have been shooting and are zerod with and have dope for? Probably slim.