Mountain Rifle Build - Need a Barrel Rec

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
Chassis - MDT HNT26, black carbon, REM700 action, Short Action, Arca Rail ($1595)

Magazine - MDT Poly (~$50)

Action - Impact Precision Hunter Short Action NBK Hunter ($965)

Barrel - **NA** 20”

Trigger - Trigger Tech Rem700 Special ($210)

Scope - NF NX8 2.5-20 ($1700)
______
6.5PRC

143gr ELDX

Maybe HVLD
______

This is the lightweight build I’m putting together. Well.. light-ish weight. I know I could choose a different scope and get lighter, but I’m comfy with the ~9lb range. This will be suppressed as well. I’ve got a 7RM that I can use for heavier bodied critters, but I honestly feel completely comfortable with 6.5PRC inside of 500yds or so for nearly anything.

I’m struggling to find the right prefit barrel at 20”. Anyone have any recommendations? I can do carbon fiber or steel, it makes little difference to me.

I’d recommend Proof but I don’t believe they have 20” prefits for 6.5prc.

OP
L

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
I'd first recommend not getting a prefit and actually have a good gunsmith chamber it with your action in hand. But basically any barrel in #3 or 3B will be fine.
Why not get pre-fit? With tolerances as tight as they are in impact actions and prefit barrels, why pay a gunsmith to do what I can do with a couple of tools?

huntnful

WKR
If I was going to trust someone with a prefit, I would definitely trust TS customs. He has 20" benchmark carbons in stock also.

OP
L

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
If I was going to trust someone with a prefit, I would definitely trust TS customs. He has 20" benchmark carbons in stock also.

My man. That’s what I keep coming back to.

For that price point you could just buy a blank and have a gunsmith chamber it for you.

huntnful

WKR
Why not get pre-fit? With tolerances as tight as they are in impact actions and prefit barrels, why pay a gunsmith to do what I can do with a couple of tools?
You're not paying them any extra to tighten the barrel on. They can just do perfect work with the action in hand. And close to perfect work without. But definitely use a first class gunsmith if you're going that route.

Google search about Prefit disasters and you'll see that it isn't always a piece of cake if you go with the wrong smith.

OP
L

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
You're not paying them any extra to tighten the barrel on. They can just do perfect work with the action in hand. And close to perfect work without. But definitely use a first class gunsmith if you're going that route.

Google search about Prefit disasters and you'll see that it isn't always a piece of cake if you go with the wrong smith.
I’m admittedly not an expert here. I’ll do some research on prefit disasters, but can you give me the nutshell version in the meantime?

huntnful

WKR
Why put together a premium build and then get some barrel thats been cut with a reamer that cuts 100+ chambers with way less attention to detail to save $200 or something. The barrel, and more importantly, a perfect chamber, are the two most important things on the entire gun.

Okay, you guys are legit reffering to mass produced prefits to save a few bucks (which I don't recommend).

$1200 is the cost of a benchmark barrel and a chamber job with muzzle threads.
Everyone I know who uses prefits has been happy. (Anecdotal). Just pointing out that buying a “prefit” from TScustoms is just the same as paying a local smith except you’ll have the local guys quality assurance when it’s all out together.

OP
L

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
Okay, you guys are legit reffering to mass produced prefits to save a few bucks (which I don't recommend).

$1200 is the cost of a benchmark barrel and a chamber job with muzzle threads.
I guess I’m leaning toward convenience rather than cost- I can afford to do either. I’m building this based on recommendations from someone who knows far more about this stuff than I do, but I’m definitely open to learning more about it.

He seems pretty confident that there is little need to go through a gunsmith because tolerances are so tight in these higher end products. His reasoning made sense to me - I’m interested in what you’ve got to say though!

OP
L

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
Why put together a premium build and then get some barrel thats been cut with a reamer that cuts 100+ chambers with way less attention to detail to save $200 or something. The barrel, and more importantly, a perfect chamber, are the two most important things on the entire gun.
On the other side of the coin, why pay a gunsmith to do all the same work that a prefit takes care of that will still net a sub-moa build?

I could get a trash prefit from a reputable manufacturer, I suppose. And I could also get a good, reputable gunsmith who does less than stellar work on a barrel and action.

I guess my question is, what are the odds of either?

huntnful

WKR
I’m admittedly not an expert here. I’ll do some research on prefit disasters, but can you give me the nutshell version in the meantime?
Loose threads. Wrong Headspace. Wrong threads. Rough Chambers (extraction issues). Crooked Chambers.

TS or another very reputable gunsmith is your best bet at a "prefit". Which means they're cutting everything without YOUR actual action in hand. But you're not going to save any more. It'll just be the cost of the barrel, plus the cost of the smith work. These dudes have over $60-100k in machinery most of the times. My gunsmith takes meticulous care to make sure the barrel is PERFECTLY centered in the lathe before cutting the chamber. And then cuts the chamber within .001 guaranteed by using headspace guages and the action in hand the whole time. Probably a 4 hour process or so to set everything up and cut both ends of the barrel. I happily give him $400.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Preferred Barrels, you can spec out the barrel. A #3 contour with flutes is gonna be light, plenty stiff and take 5/8 threads. The #3 is like a heavy sporter. I have a #3 prefit at 21” for my 25 SST and it’s shooting great.

No need to go carbon fiber at 20”. You won’t really save much weight if any over my suggestion.