Critique my 300 Win Mag build

Robobiss

Lil-Rokslider
This, why anyone would start a build with a brake and not a can today is beyond my comprehension. I'm to the point where I walk off the range if someone shows up with a brake. And I certainly won't hunt with someone using one. Way too easy to get caught up in the moment and end up mildly concussed with hearing damage.
I’m with you here. Won’t even be near one being shot. Even being next to something like a 6.8western with a brake feels like you’re getting socked in the face with every shot.

Miserable.

BDWMT

FNG
300 WM, 20” barrel, and a brake sounds brutally loud just reading it.

300 WM, 20” barrel, and a brake sounds brutally loud just reading it.

Well, I can tell you that a .338 Sherman Mega at 21" with a brake is. It only took me 5 shots to just put it away until my can cleared.

I haven't shot my 21.5" 300WM without a suppressor, so I can't comment on how it is without, but I bet it is bad.

OP
N
After careful consideration I have changed the direction of this project. I've spent the last several days researching cartridges. I've decided to put my fear of the ammo availability away and try the 6.5 PRC. I've got a Zermatt Origin on order and I'm now looking into barrels. I'm thinking a stainless steel barrel might be better than carbon especially if I can get the weight similar. Anyone have resources on barrel contours?

Your 308 sounds like a great option for bear and elk at medium ranges, especially in a light rifle. I do understand the desire for something different though:)

For a short barrel build, I'd really recommend 300wsm instead of 300wm. I'd highly recommend the Defiance anTi short action, 20" Carbon6 or Proof, and a nice stock like a Manners.

After careful consideration I have changed the direction of this project. I've spent the last several days researching cartridges. I've decided to put my fear of the ammo availability away and try the 6.5 PRC. I've got a Zermatt Origin on order and I'm now looking into barrels. I'm thinking a stainless steel barrel might be better than carbon especially if I can get the weight similar. Anyone have resources on barrel contours?

A straight taper .750" is a good contour. PVA and Preferred both make them. A Bartlein 3B will give you more than enough meat at 20-22" to get a good threading/shoulder. Of course with these contours you will need to flute to remove weight.

Some manufacturers will do a sporter contour with a flare at the end so that you can thread 5/8"-24 with a shoulder.

These are all for use with a suppressor. If you are not going to go with a can and just want to do a brake, a Bartlein 2B is a really good contour.

Not sure about resources but if you're ordering a prefit for an Origin, then PVA might be a good place to do it. He's one of the only well known builders I know of that does hunting weight steel prefits. I haven't tried one out yet but I will eventually.

OP
N
A straight taper .750" is a good contour. PVA and Preferred both make them. A Bartlein 3B will give you more than enough meat at 20-22" to get a good threading/shoulder. Of course with these contours you will need to flute to remove weight.

Some manufacturers will do a sporter contour with a flare at the end so that you can thread 5/8"-24 with a shoulder.

These are all for use with a suppressor. If you are not going to go with a can and just want to do a brake, a Bartlein 2B is a really good contour.
Any insight on barrel weights? I'm hoping to keep this rifle pretty light. I will go carbon if need be to keep overall weight down. I'm finding it hard to find estimated weights on pre-fit barrels.

SloppyJ

WKR
Nothing wrong with building your own. I've built two off of an origin and have no regrets.

I think you're way overkill on the cartridge but if you're dead set on it, there's no reason, not even factory ammo availability, to go with a 300wm over a 300prc. One of my origins is in 300prc with a 22" proof barrel. Getting 3100fps with TTSXs and 2860 with 215 Bergers. That's only with 30 shots on it so it will speed up a bit.

With that said, if you really want to practice long range, that cartridge isn't for you. For 600 and in there's nothing wrong with your .308. But I get where you're at. I've been there too.

Think about skipping the magnum 30cal and purchasing a very high quality suppressor. You want to prioritize length and weight with suppression performance. I'd recommend the AB Raptor 8 or a Silencerco Scythe.

With the extra money you have left over, buy reloading equipment and start teaching yourself. It's a very rewarding hobby and you end up with ammo that's MUCH higher quality and tailored to your specific goals.

Or hell, do all of the above and build a 6.5prc.

Here's some origin pronz for you to help you make a bad decision.

1000004351.jpg1000004185.jpg

Last edited:
Any insight on barrel weights? I'm hoping to keep this rifle pretty light. I will go carbon if need be to keep overall weight down. I'm finding it hard to find estimated weights on pre-fit barrels.
The .750 no taper contours are about the same weight as a proof sendero carbon at shorter lengths at least. Recently got one in 6 creed at 18” long that weighs 2lb 6.5 ounces. The .680 steel barrels will be lighter than most carbons.

Pac-nor has a barrel weight calculator that calculates barrel blank weight but doesn’t account for steel removed for barrel tennon threads, chamber, and muzzle threading.

Last edited:

A 20" fluted, straight taper .750" 6.5 or 30 caliber barrel will almost certainly be less than 3lbs. My spiral fluted 18" #4 contour (heavy sporter) Wilson barrel chambered in 7TCU weighed in at 2lbs 5 oz. That is the only barrel that I weighed before installing as weight of my hunting guns isn't something that I put too much thought into. It is either good or not. I cut ounces in my pack and around my waistline, not in my rifle. Of course I am not lugging a 15lb rifle around, but anything between 8-10 lbs is good for me. Another thing to keep in mind is that the lighter the rifle, the harder it is to keep steady when shooting, even off of a tripod. Having that extra 2lbs really makes a difference when it comes time to pull the trigger.

OP
N
Thanks again for all the help. I talked to preferred barrels and I think they will be the winner for my barrel choice. They have been very responsive to questions. They were able to give me estimates on weights.
As mentioned in this thread I think a suppressor is a good idea. When whitetail hunting in a saddle here in MN I don't like to wear ear protection so I can hear what's going on around me. In the past I've gone no hearing protection and been fine with the 1-2 shots a year out of my 308, but it sure would be nice to cut down on that noise.
Looking at a .750 taperless, is that enough shoulder for a suppressor if I'm running 5/8" threads? Suppressor recommendationst that don't hurt the wallet too much?

Suppressor recommendationst that don't hurt the wallet too much?
A suppressor is a lifetime purchase, you won't really be able to sell it, and you may wait 8-12 months for it unless you get lucky. It is just about the last area you want to try to go budget in. That said, there are a few known quantities for suppressors that people love.

Some variant of TBAC Magnus, they're kind of the gold standard for precision rifle suppressors.
Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-L (only suppressor with the same sound suppression as a TBAC Magnus, and less expensive)
Silencerco Scythe-Ti (guys seem to love it, there are some threads around here about it)
Abel Company Theorem (whichever length you like)

Dead Air has been going through some issues in the past year or two with their titanium cans and customer service, would avoid them.

Preferred makes good barrels.

.750” is more than enough for a good shoulder.

A very good budget can is the SilencerCo HarvesterEVO. They have been discontinued, so many people are blowing them out for pretty good prices.

Although I do have to question why you are going with a 300WM over your 308 for MN whitetails.

JSMITT6

FNG
Hello!

I’m new to the forum. I’ve been lurking for a while but finally decided to ask a question. I’m planning a build for a mountain hunting rifle in 300 win mag. This will be my first bolt rifle build but I have built an AR in the past. This will mostly be used for spring bear and elk. I have a Weatherby 308 that I use for medium game. Goals are as follows:

1. Lightweight while still being shootable
2. As short of a barrel as possible for packing during long treks into the mountains
3. Ideally can shoot factory ammunition well as I don’t currently reload. I don’t have access to any ranges longer than 600 yds so I’m not too worried about real long distance stuff

Here is my planed build:

-Stiller Predator long action or Zermatt Origin long action. Any thoughts on either of these?
-Carbon six barrel in 20-22in barrel. Again any recommendations? I would love a 20in barrel but not sure if that would be pushing too short and getting picky on ammo. Planning on prefit.
-Rokstock
-Timmy Trigger
-Area 419 Hellfire Brake
-Glass yet to be decided but possibly Vortex Razor LHT

Any other thoughts or general recommendations?

Thank you!
Haven’t shot a stiller action but have 3 origins. Absolutely love them

JSMITT6

FNG
Preferred makes good barrels.

.750” is more than enough for a good shoulder.

A very good budget can is the SilencerCo HarvesterEVO. They have been discontinued, so many people are blowing them out for pretty good prices.

Although I do have to question why you are going with a 300WM over your 308 for MN whitetails.
HarvesterEvo is a great can. I have one and it is a great hunting suppressor for the $$. I picked mine up for under $500