CPW to relocate Copper Creek wolf pack

Poser

WKR
Where are they going to relocate these wolves to in the state where they aren't going to interact with livestock? Seems as if there's no reasonable way not to make this pack someone else's immediate problem short of possibly releasing them in Estes which would require approval from the NPS.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Where are they going to relocate these wolves to in the state where they aren't going to interact with livestock? Seems as if there's no reasonable way not to make this pack someone else's immediate problem short of possibly releasing them in Estes which would require approval from the NPS.
There’s been some chatter that the wuffs will be going to a sanctuary to start

tdhanses

WKR
Wouldn’t shock me if they are released next to it or within it, look at Yellowstone.

sndmn11

WKR
It's a bummer they won't share the new release location. I can see a rancher, hunter, birddog person shooting a big coyote and getting in trouble because they didn't know wolves were planted.

tdhanses

WKR
It's a bummer they won't share the new release location. I can see a rancher, hunter, birddog person shooting a big coyote and getting in trouble because they didn't know wolves were planted.
With the reintroduction one probably has to look over what they are shooting a little more then they used to.

WTFJohn

WKR
Will have to wait and see where the end up dumping them. I’m guessing Denver or Estes park is out of the question.

These are the only two regions in the state they can put wolves. It is land west of the divide, with mileage limits to state lines & the Mexican Gray Wolves (Faded red lines that bound N & W, arcing line to S). The state is going to have million dollar wolves by the time this is done, between livestock payouts and relocation/sanctuary fees. Good for the guys in Grand County, bad for sound wildlife management practices.

Screen Shot 2024-08-24 at 7.01.33 AM.png

I don't disagree that you could find yourself in that situation, but the odds are low (unless CPW does the same release style as before that got them in hot water- aka no local DWM involvement). The wolves in our area aren't as big as this one, but the difference in track size between a coyote and wolf is VERY obvious. As in, "Hey slow the truck down, look at that f***ing giant track!"

IMG_4373.jpeg

Wolf vs Coyote track, glove for scale in picture below.

Attachments

• IMG_3464.jpeg
    IMG_3464.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
With the reintroduction one probably has to look over what they are shooting a little more then they used to.
I've never seen a juvenile wolf, but I have seen big coyotes. I couldn't tell the difference in a split second and CPW has a history of not knowing either when they have been killed. I don't see an immediate shift in mindset by those in areas where wolves haven't been reported as being introduced to slam on the brakes when needing to stop an attack/depredation. The rancher in Rye/La Junta/Naturita/Gunnison/Evergreen who has only ever known shooting coyotes because wolves have never lived there shouldn't be in jeopardy over a program they don't know they are participating in. Same goes for the birddog person who intentionally chooses to hunt in non-wolf areas.

TurkeyReaper69

Lil-Rokslider
I say release at the corner of Colfax and Federal, could kill two birds with one stone. Dem voters get to see their pets, wolves clean up the vagrant population

WTFJohn

WKR
I've never seen a juvenile wolf, but I have seen big coyotes. I couldn't tell the difference in a split second and CPW has a history of not knowing either when they have been killed. I don't see an immediate shift in mindset by those in areas where wolves haven't been reported as being introduced to slam on the brakes when needing to stop an attack/depredation. The rancher in Rye/La Junta/Naturita/Gunnison/Evergreen who has only ever known shooting coyotes because wolves have never lived there shouldn't be in jeopardy over a program they don't know they are participating in. Same goes for the birddog person who intentionally chooses to hunt in non-wolf areas.

We had similar hurdles here (and still do). There were times during calving we were told no wolves in the area (aka free-for-all on coyotes under thermal/night vision), then the next day someone finds a fresh track or has a wolf on camera. It is definitely something to give you pause.

tdhanses

WKR
Even more reason to release them in Rocky Mountain National Park, it’s kind of a sanctuary.

sndmn11

WKR
Even more reason to release them in Rocky Mountain National Park, it’s kind of a sanctuary.
I don't think the pro-wolf crowd would ever want that to happen.

We had similar hurdles here (and still do). There were times during calving we were told no wolves in the area (aka free-for-all on coyotes under thermal/night vision), then the next day someone finds a fresh track or has a wolf on camera. It is definitely something to give you pause.

Precisely. I know I can find a sign telling me moose are in the area and how to tell the differences from an elk in 75% of the GMUs west of I25. I can find signs where I hunt telling the reader that one side of the road is OTC elk and the other side is a limited license. Regardless of how one feels about wolves in general, there is long standing precedent in practice to keep sportspeople notified what they need to be aware of where they are at.

Carr5vols

WKR
Little confused...here when we kill yotes they lay where they die don't even go look at them or nothing. Most of the time it is at longer distances..are hunters in colorado going over and checking the kill out taking pics etc. or am I missing something...if you never go over and check it you don't know what it is...is the state tracking them and then going to pull slugs and run ballistics etc? Just trying to understand how they could ever say who killed one.