CPW releases map of potential wolf reintroduction area

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were native before humans expatriated them.
Colorado originally had Mexican and Plains Grey Wolves, which are smaller wolves, about 60-100 lbs. They are introducing much larger Northern Grey Wolves, which are not what was here originally. Probably be good if they introduced an excise tax or two in the counties that voted for this, so they can pay for it. Maybe introduce them to RMNP first, so people can watch the first hand effects.

Last edited:

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
They were native before humans expatriated them.
Incorrect, the proper subspecies native to that part of Colorado is Youngi, long exterminated, they are introducing a subspecies that has never been present in this state.
don’t worry plenty of wolves get shot and few get caught.
either you work with nature or you work against it.
wolves get blamed for everything since before little red riding hood. 🤦‍♂️

You laughed at my comment above, I’m not sure why. The subspecies of wolf being introduced to that part of Colorado has never lived in the state until now.

49ereric

WKR
Incorrect, the proper subspecies native to that part of Colorado is Youngi, long exterminated, they are introducing a subspecies that has never been present in this state.

You laughed at my comment above, I’m not sure why. The subspecies of wolf being introduced to that part of Colorado has never lived in the state until now.
I laughed cuz wolves are native to North America and the subspecies is really immaterial in my opinion.
we have always had wolves here in Minnesota and saw my first one shot in 1975 but not by me and nor will I ever hunt wolves.

Hnthrdr

WKR
You’re comparing Alaska's landmass and population densities to Colorado? Lol.
Non residents that haven’t lived most of their lives in Co cannot even begin to grasp the population boom the last 30 years has seen along with that the recreation boom, there isn’t an inch of Co that doesn’t get backpacked, ultra marathoned through, hiked or mountain biked or hunted or fished in any more except for the most remote corners of the state, bought to see some human wolf conflicts first hand

While doing some research I ran into some wolf bios out of Missoula. I knew of local (native) timber wolves that existed west of where I was working and thought I would share. The native wolves were not pack wolves and fit into the local ecosystem.

After offering info I was informed that these new wolves were much more effective and would soon eradicate the native wolves.

Folks - if this isn't bucket biology I'm not sure what is.

49ereric

WKR
Non residents that haven’t lived most of their lives in Co cannot even begin to grasp the population boom the last 30 years has seen along with that the recreation boom, there isn’t an inch of Co that doesn’t get backpacked, ultra marathoned through, hiked or mountain biked or hunted or fished in any more except for the most remote corners of the state, bought to see some human wolf conflicts first hand
Co has a over tourist population problem seems a good way to raise non resident fees for hiking,biking,fishing and hunting. Gawkers fee as well.
more People cruising in northern Mn as well down the road and trails with all types of vehicles in the fall. 🤷‍♂️

That is quite kick in the shins you guys got. One doesn't have to look much farther than ID,MT or WY to see the history of how the introduction is going to affect you. There might be a few that will be killed by hunters on the down low, but not nearly enough to keep up with their reproduction. Enjoy your next few years in the field, because ungulate behavior is going to change dramatically.

parshal

WKR
I've live on the Front Range for 25 years and I still don't know who voted for this. As they said, it won't be long before they're in the western suburbs and out on the prairie. People think the lions can be bad.......

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
I laughed cuz wolves are native to North America and the subspecies is really immaterial in my opinion.
we have always had wolves here in Minnesota and saw my first one shot in 1975 but not by me and nor will I ever hunt wolves.
It's interesting that you say the subspecies is immaterial because the CPW/NPS is killing Cutthroat trout because it's the wrong sub-species for that drainage but when it comes to a canine it's ok to introduce a non-native subspecies.

49ereric

WKR
It's interesting that you say the subspecies is immaterial because the CPW/NPS is killing Cutthroat trout because it's the wrong sub-species for that drainage but when it comes to a canine it's ok to introduce a non-native subspeciess
It's interesting that you say the subspecies is immaterial because the CPW/NPS is killing Cutthroat trout because it's the wrong sub-species for that drainage but when it comes to a canine it's oka non-native su
fish and wolves are kinda different me tinks 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.