Coyote, Deer, Elk, Bear Rifle

Hey all,

I'm fairly new to the site but wanted to ask a question specifically about a new rifle setup for hunting coyotes, deer, elk, ect in the Western US mostly. I am looking for a setup that is lightweight, and capable of shooting factory ammunition. I want to have the capability of shooting coyotes at distance (300 plus yards) in the wind of Wyoming but also capable of hunting big game.

I have a 16-inch BCM AR 223 suppressed shooting the 55 grain Vmax currently for coyotes. Considering a 22 arc AR Upper or a factory Tikka bolt gun in 223, 243, or 6.5cm. Wish Tikka had a 6mm Creedmoor.

For big game, I'm currently shooting a factory Tikka superlite 308 with 168 ELD-M's (Rokstok coming) suppressed. It seems I could rebarrel to a 6mm creed or purchase a 243 or 6.5. Appreciate the feedback!

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
Why not keep the .308? Better yet where are you looking to keep your impact velocity at?

OP
S
Why not keep the .308? Better yet where are you looking to keep your impact velocity at?
Definitely keeping the 308. Wanting to reduce recoil. Looking for impact velocities on big game at 1700-1800 minimum. Recoil is a challenge for me being able to spot hits with shooting the lighter factory Tikka T3x superlite 308 with 168’s. Hoping the Rokstok improves the ability to spot hits and/or reduce some recoil.

Maybe I should just ask what rifle cartridge (not what bullet) would someone with experience recommend to hunt both coyotes and big game. My limited experience seems to point to a 6 creed, 243, 6.5. I cannot hunt big game in Colorado with a .224 caliber.

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely keeping the 308. Wanting to reduce recoil. Looking for impact velocities on big game at 1700-1800 minimum. Recoil is a challenge for me being able to spot hits with shooting the lighter factory Tikka T3x superlite 308 with 168’s. Hoping the Rokstok improves the ability to spot hits and/or reduce some recoil.

Maybe I should just ask what rifle cartridge (not what bullet) would someone with experience recommend to hunt both coyotes and big game. My limited experience seems to point to a 6 creed, 243, 6.5. I cannot hunt big game in Colorado with a .224 caliber.
Let me say this before the obvious incoming. Tikka T3x lite or superlite in 6.5 Creedmoor shooting a 147 ELDM that will get you to 6-700 depending on your barrel.

Sadler

WKR
I’d get a second barrel for your tikka in a 6 creed cut down to 16-18”. Mine is 16” and was shooting factory 108 ELDMs at 2680-2700. I started reloading the 109 ELDMs for it and am now around 2900fps and will be taking it to Wyoming in October. I haven’t shot any coyote with it but I cant imagine it’s nice on hide.

Duh

WKR
I don’t think you’ll go wrong with 243 or 6.5 creed.

You trying to save fur for coyotes or just shoot them? If not saving fur and only wanting to shoot one load (assuming factory ammo) just go 6.5 creed. Your shots will be within 300 yards if your calling coyotes, most of the time. You’ll have time to dial if a little further.

If you’re hand loading I’d go with 243 and shoot 103-108 bullets.

OP
S

Maybe I should just ask what rifle cartridge (not what bullet) would someone with experience recommend to hunt both coyotes and big game. My limited experience seems to point to a 6 creed, 243, 6.5. I cannot hunt big game in Colorado with a .224 caliber

You trying to save fur for coyotes or just shoot them? If not saving fur and only wanting to shoot one load (assuming factory ammo) just go 6.5 creed. Your shots will be within 300 yards if your calling coyotes, most of the time. You’ll have time to dial if a little further.

Not interested in saving fur at this time unless the market changed. Thanks!

OP
S

Thanks.

thanks!

OP
S
Once you get a 6 Creed, I doubt you'll ever want to shoot the 308 again. I'd sell the 308 barrel and get a 6 Creed barrel.
Any quality Tikka prefit you’d recommend with a reasonable turnaround time. I’ve looked at PBB and Criterion. I haven’t heard back from Criterion but PBB seems to be about 10-12 weeks. Thanks!

gtriple

WKR
Any quality Tikka prefit you’d recommend with a reasonable turnaround time. I’ve looked at PBB and Criterion. I haven’t heard back from Criterion but PBB seems to be about 10-12 weeks. Thanks!

Or do a blank and send it to a Smith to get cut to a pre-fit.

I have experience with 6.5 creedmoor, browning rifles and bergaras, specifically the B14, and I think they’re a great lightweight gun. They have a great price point too so you can spend some money on a scope. Regardless of what you hear, any caliber will do the job. At that point it’s just about BC and how confident you are with the set up. But from my experience, and I live in Wyoming, even in standard winds, the 6.5 is amazing at bucking wind even out to distances over 600. I haven’t shot anything with it smaller than a mule deer, so I can’t say anything about varmint.
The other aspect with 6.5 creedmoor is you can shoot and get back on target a lot quicker than you could a 308(depending on your position). That would make it a great choice for coyotes.
If you have anymore questions I can go down a rabbit hole offline.

OP
S
I have experience with 6.5 creedmoor, browning rifles and bergaras, specifically the B14, and I think they’re a great lightweight gun. They have a great price point too so you can spend some money on a scope. Regardless of what you hear, any caliber will do the job. At that point it’s just about BC and how confident you are with the set up. But from my experience, and I live in Wyoming, even in standard winds, the 6.5 is amazing at bucking wind even out to distances over 600. I haven’t shot anything with it smaller than a mule deer, so I can’t say anything about varmint.
The other aspect with 6.5 creedmoor is you can shoot and get back on target a lot quicker than you could a 308(depending on your position). That would make it a great choice for coyotes.
If you have anymore questions I can go down a rabbit hole offline.
Thanks Sean appreciate it.

VuduDoc

FNG
It’s been said but I’ll throw in my vote.
1. You already have 2 setups that are adequate for whatever you’d like to do, but if you’re looking to consolidate for various reasons (less recoil, longer range of lethality, etc) then:
2. If you want a one and done. Tikka in .243 or 6.5.
3. If you’re a tinkerer, rebarrel .308 to 6 creed and ride off into the sunset my man.

OP
S
It’s been said but I’ll throw in my vote.
1. You already have 2 setups that are adequate for whatever you’d like to do, but if you’re looking to consolidate for various reasons (less recoil, longer range of lethality, etc) then:
2. If you want a one and done. Tikka in .243 or 6.5.
3. If you’re a tinkerer, rebarrel .308 to 6 creed and ride off into the sunset my man.
Thanks. I’m very budget conscious so just trying to make the best decision on a cartridge I can hunt the mentioned game/coyotes with all year long without making changes. I’m a big fan of simplicity and training with one system to maximize your skill set.