Is getting a spotter at my budget a waste?

OP
allstajacket
I’ve had the Athlon for 4 seasons now and it has served me well. It has been a huge help on multiple elk hunts for me. I bought mine used for under $500. I did just send it in for warranty but for what I paid I’ve been happy with it. I’ve used it side by side with a swaro and the Kowa 553, which are both better, but the Athlon is very good for the price I think.

If you were starting fresh right now, knowing what you know, and you had $500, would you buy it again? Or save for another?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braaap

WKR
If you were starting fresh right now, knowing what you know, and you had $500, would you buy it again? Or save for another?

I would buy it now and use it this season and then sell it when I’m ready to upgrade. You’ll probably get a decent amount for it when you sell. For where I hunt a spotter is a must have. Maybe in other areas it’s not so consider that.

S-3 ranch

WKR
I love my leopold 30x60, light weight and compact
$200 when I got it, it’s been my favorite when pronghorn, mule deer, whitetail
sheep hunting
don’t let guys with deep pockets influence your decision
yeah a high dollar one is awesome on a OIL sheep hunting trip to take photos but I would rent one first before buying
IMG_0487.png

TX_Diver

WKR
Little bit in left field here... but for like $30 you can get the Aziak bino adapter to get your binos on a tripod. It won't replace a spotter but it's probably a better value than some of the "cheaper" spotters. Getting your binos that steady will be a huge help over hand holding them IMO.

I have seen so many comments on here when people are discussing "budget" optics, as far as binos and spotting scopes go. This all seems very clear to me, however, what isn't clear is where the line is drawn?

What is the "cheapest" binocular that is "acceptable?" Spotting scope?

I bought some Leupold BX-4's 10x42's, and honestly their quality is fantastic. I have yet to use them on a hunt, but they will be in my bino harness on my first western hunt later this year. (Montana Elk!)

I have a Slik Tripod, and Sirui head that I plan to use for glassing, and now I am thinking about adding a spotting scope to my pack. I will use it regularly at home at the range anyways (I am in need of one for this reason alone) and I think I'll enjoy using it on my Elk hunt.

I do NOT have the budget of some folks on here, and may be able to scrape together enough to get one of the two options I am currently considering:

Maven CS.1A

or

Athlon Ares UHD G2

Both 65mm, 15-45x.

I am concerned though when reading posts that makes it seem like anything under $1500 is a complete waste. I plan to be sitting and glassing for hours. Will either of these options allow me to do this comfortably?

I'd be grabbing the Maven used for ~$600, or the Athlon new for $529
Leaning toward the Athlon currently.

Any input will be very appreciated!
check out the carson spotting scope . My son has their binoculars and spotting scope and i was impressed. \i believe the spotting scope was 200.00 and similar for the binoculars.

I’ve seen the Kowa 553/554 new for $1300 (I just paid that) and used here and on EBay for $1100. That’s a hell of a lot of glass for that price.

Last edited:

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
try what will work better for you and ajust considering the budget you have or not ... still happy to use my bushnell elite 15-45x60 not a high end optic one but working for me.

Anybody should buy what they can afford. I started with mid range diamondback for 2 years. Then went high end diamond back for 2 years. Now I am using all swaro.

I like to see far far out so the great glass does help. But diamondback helped and I learned to use it accordingly at its limits.

TaperPin

WKR
There’s nothing wrong with an inexpensive spotting scope. Even if you upgrade, it can become a loaner, or just use it at the range. There’s always a use for it.

I was recently on the fence between the Athlon and the Maven. I ended up finding a used Maven spotter. Guys on here said the glass between the two are basically identical but the maven is lighter. So far I’ve really liked the Maven. I just can’t justify dropping 2-3k on a spotting scope. The glass quality is very unlikely to have a real world impact on my hunting success. Check out the classifieds on here.

Gone4Days

WKR
My binos are both Swaro. My spotter is the Athlon Ares G2. I dont rely on my spotter as much.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
I use my spotter quite a bit during the year for shooting and a few other things too. As time has gone on I think I would have spent less money on my first spotter and spent more money on a really good tripod. Since your binos can also use the tripod.

I arrowed 30 some CO elk plus successfully bow hunted them in OR and BC. I occasionally used a spotter, usually in NW CO in the "desert" units or hunting above timberline in CO.

My favorite spotter was a Leupold Gold Ring 20x50....a fixed power scope that weighted 18 ounces and fit great in the pack....passed it on to a young friend years ago.

Today I use my little Nikon ED50HD with a 13-30X zoom lens when elk hunting the more open country. My BC elk hunting is not very open and I've yet to use one of my spotters on an elk hunt here but there are places one would use one. I also have a Swaro ATM20-60x65HD that get used sheep, caribou, moose and deer hunting, but I don't ever take it bowhunting elk in the thicker stuff.

MT is a big state with a lot of varied elk terrain East to West. The type of country you hunt would dictate what scope to use...if any.

Good luck on your elk hunt!

TaperPin

WKR
I'd be grabbing the Maven used for ~$600, or the Athlon new for $529
Leaning toward the Athlon currently.
To get somewhat of an idea of what a good price is, searching eBay ”sold” listings is interesting. I see a bx-4 sold not that long ago for $500. I havent looked through a maven or athlon, and they may be great, but a bx-4 or gold ring are clear enough to not be hard on the eyes and are a lot of bang for the buck.

That used eBay 30x Leupold is a steal! That was my go-to backpacking glass for a decade - in mid priced optics it never seemed to give up anything to a heavier 15-45, which are often optimized for the middle magnification. The weight is minimal and they have a history of being durable. I’m amazed it hasn’t sold to someone just to be relisted at a higher price. If it’s still there in a week I’ll buy it as a loaner. The downside to this design is the magnification ring gets harder to turn with age as the sealing ring dries out - a necessary trip back to Leupold wouldn’t surprise me. It’s also only a straight through design which you either love or hate - angled eye pieces may be comfortable, but speed of acquisition is better for some.

OP
allstajacket
I arrowed 30 some CO elk plus successfully bow hunted them in OR and BC. I occasionally used a spotter, usually in NW CO in the "desert" units or hunting above timberline in CO.

My favorite spotter was a Leupold Gold Ring 20x50....a fixed power scope that weighted 18 ounces and fit great in the pack....passed it on to a young friend years ago.

Today I use my little Nikon ED50HD with a 13-30X zoom lens when elk hunting the more open country. My BC elk hunting is not very open and I've yet to use one of my spotters on an elk hunt here but there are places one would use one. I also have a Swaro ATM20-60x65HD that get used sheep, caribou, moose and deer hunting, but I don't ever take it bowhunting elk in the thicker stuff.

MT is a big state with a lot of varied elk terrain East to West. The type of country you hunt would dictate what scope to use...if any.

Good luck on your elk hunt!

I’ll be in south west MT, spot and stalk up high. I’m thinking above timber but not certain!