Contact Lenses - When Shooting a Bow

Y2JJ

FNG
Anyone else notice that when you look through your peep (on a compound bow) to your site with glasses on that your pins (multi-pin sight) are a jumbled mess? I have to shoot with my contacts in or I’m not shooting at all due to my poor vision.

jmav58

WKR
I started having that problem with my contacts so I went to a single pin. One annual eye exam later showed that I had astigmatism.

diyhntr

FNG
Yep, same problem here. I just use the contacts too. I’ve heard that an eye doctor can make a pair of glasses just for shooting a bow but have never asked about it.

No, I exclusively shoot with glasses. When the pins become a mess it means I am not turning my head far enough so I end up looking thru the glasses frame. If I turn my head correctly I see thru the lens thru the peep past the sights and to the target.

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
Yup. I will never forget when i bought my first high end multu pin slider sight. Took it home, installed it, drew it back and was like what the heck, this sight is broken, the pins are all uneven. Went back to the shop and the owner and some patrons were like, I have no idea what your talking about they look good to me. The owner said maybe it's your glasses. I was so irritated by them i walk out thinking they were crazy. Well lone and behold i went home, threw on my contacts, problem sold. I spoke about this with my dr. He said it had to do with the refracting of the lens due to how poor my vision is......-5.0.

OP
Y2JJ

Y2JJ

FNG
Yup. I will never forget when i bought my first high end multu pin slider sight. Took it home, installed it, drew it back and was like what the heck, this sight is broken, the pins are all uneven. Went back to the shop and the owner and some patrons were like, I have no idea what your talking about they look good to me. The owner said maybe it's your glasses. I was so irritated by them i walk out thinking they were crazy. Well lone and behold i went home, threw on my contacts, problem sold. I spoke about this with my dr. He said it had to do with the refracting of the lens due to how poor my vision is......-5.0.
I figured it was refraction like your Doc said. I have 4.25. It just sucks that I can’t shoot with contacts and glasses. I do see guys in my league shoot with glasses so apparently lesser prescriptions don’t mess with the sight picture. I’ll have to ask them this week. I should get lasik.

dukhunt

FNG
I figured it was refraction like your Doc said. I have 4.25. It just sucks that I can’t shoot with contacts and glasses. I do see guys in my league shoot with glasses so apparently lesser prescriptions don’t mess with the sight picture. I’ll have to ask them this week. I should get lasik.

I got lasik 8 years ago. Best $4000 I’ve ever spent on myself. I joke that it was my first high end optics purchase.

Billinsd

WKR
What dukhunt said. Got Lasik about 2 years ago, and it was less than $2k. Well worth it
Don't you need reading glasses to see up close after getting Laser surgery for near sightedness? I'm near sighted, need glasses to see far away. Up close I can easily read without reading glasses. I was told when I went for a consultation that I would need reading glasses to read after surgery. I decided I'd rather wear glasses to see far away instead of reading glasses to read up close. It would be fantastic to get surgery and not need any glasses anymore. Now if I was near sighted and far sighted, sure I would do surgery to correct for near sightedness. I was also told I could correct one eye to see far away and one to see close, but I did not want to do that.
Thanks
Bill

Last edited:

renagde

WKR
Unfortunately Lasik cannot fix near farsightedness. So while my vision is good now, there's still a good chance that I'll have to get reading glasses eventually.

OFFHNTN

WKR
Don't you need reading glasses to see up close after getting Laser surgery for near sightedness? I'm near sighted, need glasses to see far away. Up close I can easily read without reading glasses. I was told when I went for a consultation that I would need reading glasses to read after surgery. I decided I'd rather wear glasses to see far away instead of reading glasses to read up close. It would be fantastic to get surgery and not need any glasses anymore. Now if I was near sighted and far sighted, sure I would do surgery to correct for near sightedness. I was also told I could correct one eye to see far away and one to see close, but I did not want to do that.
Thanks
Bill

Yes and no. MOST won't need reading glasses (cheaters) for several years after surgery. I had Lasik about 14 years ago and just recently have noticed my near sightedness is getting bad. That could be an age thing too, but regardless, I will need cheaters soon. Lasik was by far the best money I have spent. It is so nice not to have to worry about contacts and the hassles with them.

I have the same issue with my glasses making my sight a mess but contacts are fine. With regard to Lasik I hate the idea of someone messing with my eyes period. I also can buy a hellish amount of contacts and solution for the several thousand dollar price tag. I have been using contacts for 35 years now.

renagde

WKR
Yes and no. MOST won't need reading glasses (cheaters) for several years after surgery. I had Lasik about 14 years ago and just recently have noticed my near sightedness is getting bad. That could be an age thing too, but regardless, I will need cheaters soon. Lasik was by far the best money I have spent. It is so nice not to have to worry about contacts and the hassles with them.

Right, it's not that Lasik increases your chance of having to get reading glasses. A lot of that is genetics, so if at some point you'll need readers, you'll need them regardless of whether you got Lasik or not.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have the same issue with my glasses making my sight a mess but contacts are fine. With regard to Lasik I hate the idea of someone messing with my eyes period. I also can buy a hellish amount of contacts and solution for the several thousand dollar price tag. I have been using contacts for 35 years now.
The Lasik procedure takes less time than what it takes you to take your contacts case out, take them out, prep them, and put them in your eyes. Then you walk out a few minutes later and it's done. No different than putting eye drops in, they put the numbing drops in, and then wait for the Dr to come in. It's actually pretty damn fast these days.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Anyone else notice that when you look through your peep (on a compound bow) to your site with glasses on that your pins (multi-pin sight) are a jumbled mess? I have to shoot with my contacts in or I’m not shooting at all due to my poor vision.
Have you tried a verifier or clarifier peep? The Specialty archery peeps will help with that effect also.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

had Lasik 23 yrs ago. right now creeping up on 50 yo and i am starting to lose my nearsightedness in dim light. in bright light there is no problems.