Considering Switching to Full Synthetic Oil

JEck

WKR
My wife drives a 2008 4.7L Sequoia and I drive a 2008 5.7L Tundra. I’m getting tired of changing oil every 5000 miles with running the synthetic blend oil. I’ve thought about switching to the full synthetic stuff that says it can protect for 10,000+ miles, but have heard contrasting opinions in the older vehicles. I used it in her previous car which was a 2016 with no issues. What’s everyone else doing?

Tmac

WKR
Synthetic blend in our 05 4.7 liter Sequoia for the last 15 ish years. Still keep to 5k oci as most of its use was city driving, aka meets severe use criteria.

I thought the 5.7 liter Tundra engine always recommended 0w -20 full synthetic? Regardless, I use it in my 19 5.7 liter Tundra and also do 5k oci’s due to a combo of city and off road driving meeting severe use criteria.

WCB

WKR
I run full synthetic in my and my wife's vehicles. 2022 Silverado 1500 and 2023 Traverse. No issues... I don't think I've gone 10,000 on it but I know I've gone 8500ish. Normally more towards 7500ish. Only 70K on my vehicle and 30K on my wife's but no issue thus far... Did the exact same on my last 2017 Silverado and her 2017 equinox both ran to about 120k no issues.

Suburbs driving...almost no sitting in traffic or city driving. Lots of long trips in my truck and a few a year on my wife's vehicles.

Uneducated guys are stuck in the past. With the new synthetics, 7500 no problem or atleast once a year.

My last vehicle was a Ram 2500 6.4l gasser. I used synthetic and changed my oil every 7500-10k. Sold it at 165,000 miles with no ill effects. My new diesel is recommended at 7500 as well and that is where I'll try and stick around.

OP
JEck

JEck

WKR
I thought the 5.7 liter Tundra engine always recommended 0w -20 full synthetic? Regardless, I use it in my 19 5.7 liter Tundra and also do 5k oci’s due to a combo of city and off road driving meeting severe use criteria.
Manual says use either 5w-20 or 0w-20 depending on temps. I’ve been running Castrol High Mileage synthetic blend in it as I’ve got a tick over 150k miles currently

One of the biggest lies that oil companies have perpetuated is that you have to change your oil every 5000 miles.

Oil itself doesn't really wear out unless it is overheated. The main reason it needs to be changed is if it gets contaminated.

If you change your air filter and oil filter every time you change your oil, you should be able to get around 15K of life out of a synthetic blend and 20K+ out of a full synthetic.

Edit to add: Don't cheap out on the filters either.

2muchhp

WKR
Had a friend who did a study with a bunch of oils and filters. There was no filter that was good past 7,000 miles.
With that, no matter what oil, I don't go past 5,000. At that interval, synthetic is a waste of money. Safe the cash for more oil changes, not expensive oil at longer intervals.

pst503

FNG
I run full synthetic in all of our vehicles, including my motorcycle.
Vehicles get fluid changes at 7500ish miles with new filters.
My bike is a hard usage, high temp, case. I follow manufacturers recommended intervals until warranty runs out.

Tmac

WKR
Manual says use either 5w-20 or 0w-20 depending on temps. I’ve been running Castrol High Mileage synthetic blend in it as I’ve got a tick over 150k miles currently
Same stuff we run in the 05 Sequoia, but I think it calls for 5w-30.

All oils are not created equal, just because it is synthetic doesn’t mean it’s a good oil, also some cases, a semi synthetic or mineral oil can outlive a synthetic with the right additives. I am a reliability consultant in the lube industry, specifically high quality oils and greases along with lube systems. A good quality oil can easily run 10k and I have seen testing on over the road rigs in Alaska, about the worst conditions a truck can see, going over 60k between oil changes on specific quality oils with a good additive package, while doing filter changes every 10k. I personally go over 10k on my car and truck with no hesitation with the oil I am using.

Newer vehicles with engine clearance needs or high temp/low temp issues would be the only reason in my mind to go with a full synthetic. Synthetics don’t carry additives as well as mineral oils. Yes, the oil doesn’t break down as fast as a mineral but the additives are really what do all the wear protection. If it isn’t calling for a full syn in something like a 0w-20, 5w-20 or 5w-30 I would suggest going with a quality semi synthetic with a good additive package. If it calls for a 10w30 or 15w-40 I would only suggest a semi syn or a mineral oil with a robust additive package.

Edit: I should also add, full synthetics are not bad, I should have said the right syn with the right additive package if they are calling for a full syn, which most newer vehicles are. A cheap full syn from tractor supply might only get you 5k, a good syn oil with a good additive package can easily go over 10k. Just research that it is a good additive package in any oil you plan to run it ver 10k or better yet, get an oil test done with the oil you are using at 10k and see how it is holding up. Test will cost you about $30 and you might find you can go 15k or 20k and get a baseline. Might save yourself hundreds in oil thru a year.

Last edited:
6.7 Cummins - (With complete hysterectomy)
Full synthetic
Every 10k

Last edited:
Full synthetic
6.7 powerstroke
Every 5k

After doing some research on diesels specifically I decided to keep intervals at 5k due to oil degradation over the amount of time it takes for me to get to 10k. My truck sits a lot due to having a work vehicle I drive during the week. Wife drives in rush hour traffic so hers get full synthetic and 5k as well.

Do all oil changes myself and run full synthetic in my 2016 Duramax 2500. Ran it in my 2007 1500 GMC gasser before that. The sensor will let you know when it’s time to change. It varies by how much you tow and other driving habits, but generally I don’t go to zero any sooner than 8000 miles.

My wife drives a 2008 4.7L Sequoia and I drive a 2008 5.7L Tundra. I’m getting tired of changing oil every 5000 miles with running the synthetic blend oil. I’ve thought about switching to the full synthetic stuff that says it can protect for 10,000+ miles, but have heard contrasting opinions in the older vehicles. I used it in her previous car which was a 2016 with no issues. What’s everyone else doing?
Send your oil off to Blackstone and get it tested. Their reports can give you insight on how long you can actually run your oil.

2006 4.7 Tundra with 185k.

Toyota recommends a full synthetic 0W-20 oil, changes at 5k intervals for your year. You can buy 10 quarts of synthetic oil from Costco for $35. OEM oil filters are about $6 per.

I guess it’s up to you if it’s worth an extra $40 per year for two oil changes versus one (assuming 10k miles per year).

If I were going to go longer I would have the oil tested and still change the filter at 5k. At that point, there is little value to me in not changing the oil while I’m down there.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Kirkland full synthetic oil at Costco seems to test very well and it’s dirt cheap when it’s on sale. No real reason to go past 5k other than the 30 minute it takes to change the oil.