Considering a 2020 tundra....

Hey guys wondering who can tell me about experience with Toyota tundra? I've always been a silverado or Sierra guy can't seem to find a decent deal on a full size crew and a local dealership has this truck on the lot just wondering if I jump into this truck is there anything in particular I should know about the 2020 tundra 5.7 liter good bad ????? Anything helps prices are nuts yes I know

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220804-231342_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220804-231342_Chrome.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 153

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2015 with the 5.7 and it has 150k on it and has been flawless. Ride is great. The 5.7 is a proven motor over many years. I would have no hesitations. I am not looking forward to the day this truck gets old and I have to switch to the twin turbo V6 or something else.

You simply cannot go wrong with a toyota these days. Especially if you can confirm regular maintenance. Take care of it and itll run you to 200k miles no problem. Youll be able to tow just about anything youd want and you will do it in style. Only downside is that mileage with gas prices today.

I have a 2008 with the 5.7 and 230k miles and it's running strong, love the truck, love the motor. I've considered upgrading to a newer model but can't justify it when mine is running so well and works perfectly.

Btaylor

WKR
Driving 2017 and have had no issues so far. But it's still just a bit shy of 75k. Had been riving Ram's for a long time and I much prefer this truck in every way except the mileage.

I’ve had 2. A 2014 and now a 2020. Both were exceptional trucks. Had almost 200k miles on the 14 and traded it for the 2020. They made a deal I couldn’t resist. (8600 off sticker and 18k on trade). The ‘14 was stock and I swapped the factory suspension and upper control arms on the ‘20. Did a 2.5” bilstein 6112 front suspension with 1/2” top hat spacer and 5160 rear shocks with 1” shackle. Looks great and rides better than stock. Swapped the 20’s for 18’s and running 33” bfg ko2’s. I was getting 19-20 mpg hwy stock 2020 and can get 17 with level/lift and tires if I baby it on the hwy.

They have super great torque and can tow A LOT! The torque in 4 wheel low is insane. The back seat folded up in the crewmax can haul a ton of gear. I put a gatortrax bed cover (Tri fold) on mine and it’s awesome. (The one that you can fold against the cab and stand up if needing max bed space. All I’ve driven since 2002 (when I got my drivers license) is Toyota. They are built great and will last forever if you take care of them and do the maintenance. The A/C will freeze you out and the heater will bake you and I’ve never had an issue with either except I had to replace the transmission on the ‘14 (completely my fault). If you put in 4 high you HAVE TO turn off limited slip AND traction control. If you don’t the traction control will work against the transmission if your spinning tires in loose mud. And what ever gear you’re in, will fail. Btw, Toyota warrantied the transmission and replaced it. Now that I know that, I’ve never had an issue but I also don’t dog my vehicles either.

Only complaints: mpg city sucks, but so do most vehicles. If you tow, you’ll take a drastic drop in mpg but again, same with most. The interior plastic scratches some what easy and will show so be careful with dragging stuff in and out of the truck. And the screen on the radio will at very rare times reset itself. Screen issues happened on both of my tundras and my friends 21 tundra. Other than that, I honestly can’t think of anything else I would complain about. Oh, one last thing. Most tundras will have a slight pull to the right when driving. It’s super minimal. If you’re on the hwy and let go of the steering wheel, you will usually have a slight drift to the right. If you take it somewhere that knows how to align tundras, they can resolve the issue but if you don’t keep the tires rotated every 5-7 thousand miles, it will come back but is resolved with tire rotation and never shows signs of uneven tire wear. Just one of those things about the tundra. It’s not an issue or mechanical, just a quirk. Mine is a daily driver and work truck. I put about 25k miles a year on mine. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one (5.7 liter). I’m keeping an eye on the new ones with the v6 turbo to see how they do over time. Toyota did away with the 5.7 v8. Personably, I like the looks of the 2020 more than the new ones.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have. I’m not a vehicle expert but I’ve always did maintenance on all my own trucks for the most part except oil changes on the tundras. It’s a messy job and have to have a special tool to get oil can off. But I changed starter twice on my Tacoma I had for 11 years, timing belts, serpentine belts, brakes, fuel filters, o2 sensors, suspension, etc.

Oh, if you ever warp the rotors, don’t buy new ones from a parts house. They all suck. Get the OEM from Toyota. They last wayyy longer than aftermarket. I’ve warped a few having to drive through high water in flood situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
Oh, if you ever warp the rotors, don’t buy new ones from a parts house. They all suck. Get the OEM from Toyota. They last wayyy longer than aftermarket. I’ve warped a few having to drive through high water in flood situations.

Very true. I am a Landcruiser guy and the OEM Toyota parts are worth the money.

Mpg sucks. Apart from that my two tundras have been exceptional. My only complaint had been they hadn’t updated them in a long time. Now that they have, their interior is better but it still feels like a notch down from ram and some others.

Do yourself a favor and buy it! Made the switch from a GMC Sierra after GM screwed me over on my extended warranty. I'll never go back to GM, and I absolutely love my 2019 crewmax. I live in ND and shopped around before buying. Ended up finding my truck in CO and flew down for $75 to drive it home. Ended up saving almost $10K off MSRP after all the rebates.

A good friend of mine just got a 2022 tundra. Crew cab, 6.5 foot bed I think, TRD off road for $51k. The thing is huge inside, and on the highway he says he’s getting 20mpg.

If I was in your shoes for another 8-9k I would be getting the brand new one.

Just something to consider if you haven’t already

The 5.7 tundras a great reliable rig

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
Picking up my 2022 tomorrow, it’s been a long wait. Good luck with your truck!
Congrats! Still waiting for one I want to come available. Finally put a deposit down a week or so ago. I dont want to settle so I imagine it will be another 4-6 months for me ha

Broomd

WKR
Picking up my 2022 tomorrow, it’s been a long wait. Good luck with your truck!
Kudos, post some pics and a review when you can.
I'm loving my 2020 SR5 these days. Haven't ruled out a 3rd gen when the bugs are finally resolved.

Trial153

WKR
Kudos, post some pics and a review when you can.
I'm loving my 2020 SR5 these days. Haven't ruled out a 3rd gen when the bugs are finally resolved.

Yea, I pick up and then it will be out next week having rock rails and bed liner sprayed in. I ordered a Diamondback cover and a set of Billy bars so hopefully that all gets here soon and I can get it all set up. Waiting on another extra rim which I ordered without seeing what the spare rim looks like. I was going to change out the tires but the Falken Wildpeak All-Terrains get really good reviews so I might as well run them and see how they do. I haven’t seen it yet as we been down at the shore the last few weeks. Going to drive home tonight and get it in the morning. I still am on the waiting list for a TRD Pro but they have no ETA for me and my dealer doesn’t have big allowance for the pro for this year. They treat me wonderful so didn’t go to bigger dealer and order one.
I may switch that order to a 2023 and see how things pan out. In the mean time I will be driving this..

1f6f224cbe5532436f931aa38597cd0b.jpg

427f61fdb07d51ed9f51eb7031e7dcf2.jpg

d77b61090823875e8e25bbf7d3d0cc28.jpg

Hey guys wondering who can tell me about experience with Toyota tundra? I've always been a silverado or Sierra guy can't seem to find a decent deal on a full size crew and a local dealership has this truck on the lot just wondering if I jump into this truck is there anything in particular I should know about the 2020 tundra 5.7 liter good bad ????? Anything helps prices are nuts yes I know
I have had an 08’ and currently we have a 21’, there is a lot to like, but the fuel economy is really bad, we average 13mpg, and it really doesn’t tow that well…

I still like it in the arena of 1/2 tons, I just don’t really like 1/2 tons, it’s taken me a few to realize that.

The tundra is comfortable and roomy, it’s very smooth and quiet, has good power, but the fuel economy kind of kills the appreciation I have for it…

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
Yea, I pick up and then it will be out next week having rock rails and bed liner sprayed in. I ordered a Diamondback cover and a set of Billy bars so hopefully that all gets here soon and I can get it all set up. Waiting on another extra rim which I ordered without seeing what the spare rim looks like. I was going to change out the tires but the Falken Wildpeak All-Terrains get really good reviews so I might as well run them and see how they do. I haven’t seen it yet as we been down at the shore the last few weeks. Going to drive home tonight and get it in the morning. I still am on the waiting list for a TRD Pro but they have no ETA for me and my dealer doesn’t have big allowance for the pro for this year. They treat me wonderful so didn’t go to bigger dealer and order one.
I may switch that order to a 2023 and see how things pan out. In the mean time I will be driving this..

1f6f224cbe5532436f931aa38597cd0b.jpg

427f61fdb07d51ed9f51eb7031e7dcf2.jpg

d77b61090823875e8e25bbf7d3d0cc28.jpg
Nice!! I have actually been offered two different black limited crewmax Tundras, but with the 6.5ft bed. A trd off-road and one non, but with all the bells and whistles. Really wanting lunar rock, army green, WCP, or silver though so had to say no to both. Let us know how you like it!