Compact Bino set up

Venator

Lil-Rokslider
Came across a few threads from the past, but my original thought was to go with a good compact bino. Primarily woods bow hunting for whitetail and turkey.
Top contenders are Swaro CL, Kowa Genises or the Mavens in the 8x 30-40mm
I’m not afraid to spend the money but want the most bang for my buck.
Is there any more I need to add to the list, have others done research and went one way or the other?

TN2shot07

WKR
I think the Swaros are going to be the best of the group but I’m not sure about 3x as good. You might also add the Zeiss 7x42’s to your possibles list.

I have the B3’s and I think the Mavens bat above their budget in this category.

OP
Venator

Venator

Lil-Rokslider
I think the Swaros are going to be the best of the group but I’m not sure about 3x as good. You might also add the Zeiss 7x42’s to your possibles list.

I have the B3’s and I think the Mavens bat above their budget in this category.
Thanks, I’ve read several other reviews that would mimic yours. That’s exactly what I wanted to hear, at $500 and on sale right now for a bit less, is there a 1000 difference with the CL. With mavens direct to consumer I’m a little hesitant to order without looking through.

TN2shot07

WKR
Thanks, I’ve read several other reviews that would mimic yours. That’s exactly what I wanted to hear, at $500 and on sale right now for a bit less, is there a 1000 difference with the CL. With mavens direct to consumer I’m a little hesitant to order without looking through.
I have a couple pairs of binos and 2 scopes from Maven, no issues so far. They do have a demo program if you want to try them first, you’d probably miss the sale pricing tho!

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Kowa and they are excellent. I also own Swaro El and NL, so I know what a good Bino is.

I don't know your budget, for me the swarovski 8x32 el sv is the answer.

For timber hunting deer and turkey they are unreal good. If you hunt big open country bigger glass is better.

The wow factor these give for there size are the best I've experienced yet. I have owned and currently own a lot of alpha glass.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I have B3 8x and think they are an awesome compact setup. I had some Zeiss SF 10x30 and didn’t care for them.

I use a RYO harness with them. It’s awesome for most things.

I swap for 12x50 ELs when I need to get more serious on hints.

Macintosh

WKR
I don't know your budget, for me the swarovski 8x32 el sv is the answer.

For timber hunting deer and turkey they are unreal good. If you hunt big open country bigger glass is better.

The wow factor these give for there size are the best I've experienced yet. I have owned and currently own a lot of alpha glass.
Looks like these are no longer available. Anyone know the current equivalent?

I have the Kowa and they are excellent. I also own Swaro El and NL, so I know what a good Bino is.
I would probably go with the kowa as well, I have some 8x30 slc, and of course they are a nice bino, but have not used the compact kowa genesis… I have compared the 10x42slc vs the 10.5x44 genesis and prefer sitting behind the kowa, I like them noticeably better… I don’t know how much of that is the extra .5x or extra 4mm objectives, but regardless, they outperform the slc

From what I know, I would buy the compact kowa over compact slc and feel comfortable I’m making the best choice.

Where the slc shines is in the complete package, size, weight, and image quality is what makes the slc a great choice.

If money were not an issue, the compact NL pures are a no brainer, the NL pures have thoroughly impressed me, even considering the very high expectations I had for them, they have exceeded my expectations, and are freakishly good optics… my next optic will be the 8x42 NL, I think it will be my favorite optic money can buy, and won’t go compact because I want to squeeze every bit of performance I can out of them, the extra size and weight are worth carrying to me, regardless of the great reviews of the compact version

Of all of the binos I have been able to use, the kowa genesis are the one bino that truly performs over its price point… there may be others, but they are the only ones I have personally sat behind

Hoodie

WKR
Not super well known with hunters, but Opticron is a brand with a few good 8x options that are pretty light. The Verano BGA VHD 8x32 is a good $500 option made in Japan. Good glare control, which is a thing a lot of 8x32 binos struggle with.

They've got a light 8x42 with field flatteners for $1k, but I haven't had my hands on it. Birders give it rave reviews though.

You can read up on them on birdforum.

4th_point

WKR
Primarily woods bow hunting for whitetail and turkey.

Is there any more I need to add to the list, have others done research and went one way or the other?
The 6.5x32mm Kowa is at the top of my list to try for that use, as a compact woods binoc. The FOV and DOF should be great.

For what it's worth, I used to own the Kowa 8x33. Great binoc but prefer a 42mm in 8x. Also had the 8x30 SLC.