Comms/Radios?

ChrisAU

WKR
So this year our foursome will be splitting up every day from camp, we want a pair of radios that will be usuable when we are within a few mile of each other. We won't stray more than 5-6 miles apart I would guess, thats with both pairs going in a straight line from each other. Most likely be closer most of the time. We want to be able to check in with each other at regular periods, say every 3 hours or so. And radio if we need help. Looking at these, wondering what some here might use:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SLHM4JE/ref=sspa_dk_hqp_detail_aax_0?psc=1

DFloTN

FNG
We looked at radios for the same purpose and ended up going with goTennas instead. About the same range as radios and we were using phones for onX anyway so it's a small weight savings (if you don't count having to carry a power bank battery at least into camp). I like that it will keep trying to send until it gets the full message through when you're at the limit of the range. I don't have extensive experience with them yet and can't speak to durability, but seems to work so far. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but just another option to consider.

Note that to be compliant in using the higher power channels you need to apply for and secure a GMRS license from the FCC for each person. Reality is very few do this, but just offering full disclosure here. Radio communications is my day job, and I have been impressed with the Midlands - especially where the accessories are easily adapted and consistent across the models I have tested.

I am currently testing the exact radios you mention - so far they are comparable to the model I reviewed for the article above.

Much cheaper is an amateur radio license which costs only $13, requires passing a test, and then you can pick up a Chinese amateur radio on Amazon and have the same 5W+ output. The Midlands for the same price point are more durable than most of the cheaper amateur radios ($40) on Amazon. Higher end amateur radios ($100) are more durable than the Midlands.

Shoot me a PM if you want more details.

DFloTN

FNG
How far do the goTennas 's work in the mountains?

Can't say for sure in real mountains. I've only needed them out west to cover around 500 yards. They're more effective than the low-end motorola radios in the eastern "mountains". Probably like other consumer stuff... YMMV (greatly) depending on specific terrain, timber, etc. Sorry, I know that's not much help. Only had them about 18 months and they haven't gotten extensive use.

I use the cheap Chinese Baofeng radios. They work great, but they are line of sight. I do have some that are set up for hitting repeaters, which do significantly better, obviously. The line of sight can go miles and miles in open country, but drop down a canyon, around a mountain... and you lose the signal. Hitting a repeater does not necessarily solve those things though. I mean that if you are not in line of sight with the repeater or the broadcasting radio, you still are not going to get the signal. With that said, my radios do very will when not exactly in line of sight, but still not having a large mound of dirt and rock between the 2 radios. But in short, I'd put my money into a cheap Chinese HAM, it's what the CIA often does. Just keep in mind that some states do not allow radios when hunting.

Bbell12

WKR
Would love to hear what some of the rockslide experts think about the radios OP linked, am looking at roughly the same type of set up for our hunting party. Approximately the same range as OP but it will be pretty rough country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
Would love to hear what some of the rockslide experts think about the radios OP linked, am looking at roughly the same type of set up for our hunting party. Approximately the same range as OP but it will be pretty rough country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The truth? There basically junk especially in rough country. FRS frequency's are limited to .5 watts where as the GMRS frequency's can use up to 50 watts with a handheld usually maxing out at 5 watts. Trouble is with the bubble pack radio's that use both frequency's to keep in compliance the radio is usually a .5 watt unit. Your best bet is to purchase dedicated GMRS radio's the state they are transmitting at 5 watt's or go the HAM route and use 5 + watt radio's.

A buddy and I got our HAM ticket and were using radio's for a couple seasons and even then communications were spotty in mountainous terrain, eventually both of us went the InReach route and find we have a lot better communications. Currently most of the guys I hunt with run an InReach and a couple of us have 2 InReache's on the professional plan so we can loan them out if we're hunting with someone that dosen't have one.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Yeah I have an inreach mini and I'd love to talke my buddies into getting one and be done with the communication issue but I'm not sure its affordable for them. I know they'd be much safer with one. We'll be in rough terrain, but this years A & B plans have us in the same canyon just about 8-9 miles further north and 2k ft higher in Plan A. So we won't be opposing sides of mountains, but definitely could be in drainages that block line of sight obviously.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We've used some midland radios before, if there isn't a ridge between you then they seem to work pretty well, tall ridge and you're screwed. I got delayed one time hauling meat out while my buddies were still in a BIG bowl hunting, eventually due to the delay one of them came to the top of the ridge blocking us and could make contact with me and also still talk to our other guy a few miles back in the bowl (he was a manual repeater, lol).

Anozira

WKR
I don't know a a lot about radio frequencies but I was looking for a better radio for my elk hunt last year and stumbled on the MURS frequencies. They are higher powered than the cheap walmart family radios and don't require a HAM license. I bought two of the Dakota alert radios on amazon and was very impressed. (looks like the price has gone up since) Dakota Alert M538-HT The housing is cheap and plastic looking but they held up to snow and rain as well as being dropped in the mud several times. They range quite well in dense trees and even over a short draw or canyon. I can't comment on a max distance because we didn't split up that far. They are priced more expensive than the cheaper radio options but are worth it in my opinion. I will warn you though, they will only talk on the MURS frequencies. They will not link up to any other walkie talkies etc.

BluMtn

WKR
I have been running the Midlands for years and currently am running the 1050's now. If I was going to do something different I would probably go to the Garmin Rino, have some friends that have those and it makes it nice because of the GPS feature that shows were your friends location is. You can tell if they have bailed on you and are sitting back at camp.

Looking at radios and searched the forum. Saw this....fyi to OP, I'm pretty sure the x talker series is not dual power. You cannot put in regular batteries I'd the rechargeable pack dies. That's a no go for me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

$100 set of Cobras ran a full week on 1 set of batteries.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190825-185752_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190825-185752_Gallery.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 47
I have tried them all and have found that HAM radio's work the best. My friend and I have been using the Yaesu FT-60R with AMAZING results. With an earpiece, it is like talking to someone right next you. Super clear and the battery life at 5 watts is about a week long. You can program your own frequencies and then set code words in case you get interference, which is VERY rarely because so few people spend the day to complete a class, take the test and get their license.

I will never look back at all of the other options. Comms, especially out in the backcountry, is critical to security and safety. Why try to save a little bit of money when you have that important hunt going one, just once a year for most people.

Another advantage is learning how to use local repeaters. At that point, you can communicate with people sometimes hundreds of miles away. I tested a repeater in North Eastern Nevada and had a conversation with someone in Twin Falls, Idaho. Amazing technology out there.

Any can PM me for more details, including which equipment works best, which antenna, etc.

KJ7IFR

wildcat33

WKR
I’m trying the GMRS frequencies on a Baofeng f8hp this year. 8W power is a step up from the bubble pack radios without going full HAM.

Will report back how it goes.

wildcat33

WKR
How has it been going for you @wildcat33?

just got back. Pretty happy with the radios. Long lasting battery and clear transmission. We didn’t really stretch them out, so I’m still working out the limitations. Seems like if you are in a steep canyon and buddy is on other side of ridge next to you they don’t work. Line of sight is good for a few miles in thick stuff, at least. For day hunting distances I was satisfied.

In a busy city with buildings and trees on flat ground they will reach about a mile (wife and I tested them on a grocery run)

How far do the goTennas 's work in the mountains?
We ran goTenna's for a couple years and they did not work well for us for Archery Elk in WA in rugged and tree-filled terrain.

Couldn't message someone unless you had line of sight, at least in our experience.