Colorado wolves released today

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm assuming a lot of decisions are being made based on studies such as this:

It states that in WY, ID, and MT where wolves are present - the elk population and hunter harvests have mainly increased.

I don't know what to make of this because everywhere I listen, and also the common sense meter tells me that both should decrease. How would the introduction of wolves NOT have an impact, I have no clue.

My point being is that it would be great to have some factual (not anecdotal) information to refute these studies. It's easy to have an emotional response but that won't get us very far unfortunately.
That's because elk populations in Idaho at least, have shifted to the urban/ag interface. They aren't killing more elk in the Frank, Selway, Clearwater, or Lolo as they were pre 95 wolf introduction.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

True North

FNG
Classified Approved
I wish I could say this is a good outcome, but I'm an elk hunter of the Yellowstone ecosystem and it is just sad what the wolves have done here. Good luck Colorado! What a voting shame.

HONEYBADGER

Lil-Rokslider
A couple things; 1- We are not helping ourselves with the comments to hypothetically do illegal things. We will never win over the undecided unless we have some scientific and intelligent talking points that aren’t buried in nonsense.
2- The sexual orientation of the governor of Colorado has nothing to do with this. These comments will be deleted.
3- Too much of the above will get this thread shut down as we don’t need negative press from it.

There are no undecideds. The lines have been drawn for several years now. This is just part of an all out war for our nation. There is no compromise with these people. They want you, your way of life, your values, and your family gone. Keep trying to play nice with them and that is exactly what will happen.

eldeuce

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for putting this up. I had an old timer in Hamilton in the early 90's tell me that the wolves in the Selway are not even the same species that existed in there at the turn of the century.
Yes, historically the wolves that were in the central Rockies (I'm talking long ago...) were smaller and didn't pack, unlike those that are now released. I'll look for the citation....

eldeuce

Lil-Rokslider
There are no undecideds. The lines have been drawn for several years now. This is just part of an all out war for our nation. There is no compromise with these people. They want you, your way of life, your values, and your family gone. Keep trying to play nice with them and that is exactly what will happen.
yeah, they do all their work incrementally. Just a LITTLE bit more... soon enough, it's all gone

cnelk

WKR
Here's a quick read [from a reliable 'Source'] .... interesting about who wasnt invited to the 'Release' and other little tidbits.

Last edited:

Jmort1754

WKR
So basically they reintroduce an apex predator that is not in its natural habitat and expect anything but a mess. When do we as hunters stand up to this? When do hunters say enough is enough?

mnhoundman

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t read all 10 pages, but all I want to say is good luck! (Coming from someone living in wolf country Minnesota..)
10-4, what a dam shame!!!!
The deer heards north of me have been cut way down, packs are getting bigger. Hounds getting run down and ripped to shreds, killed while running coyotes or bobcat. Ridiculous!

Last edited:

Cady Creek

Lil-Rokslider
Such a shame! We have them in Upper Michigan and with no management their population has exploded quickly. All everyone talks about anymore. I ran a dozen cams this summer/fall and had them on every single cam. They are a problem.

Attachments

• Mutts.jpg
    Mutts.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 81

Lawnboi

WKR
Reflections from #InstCon – John Stewart

Here's a quick read [from a reliable 'Source'] .... interesting about who wasnt invited to the 'Release' and other little tidbits.

Thanks for posting! This was from the article. This kind of collaboration builds a lot of trust:) ha!

From the article:

“Local media and representatives of that district, Senator Dylan Roberts and Representative Julie McCluskie, were not invited to the release, and were informed of the release after it had happened.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm assuming a lot of decisions are being made based on studies such as this:

It states that in WY, ID, and MT where wolves are present - the elk population and hunter harvests have mainly increased.

I don't know what to make of this because everywhere I listen, and also the common sense meter tells me that both should decrease. How would the introduction of wolves NOT have an impact, I have no clue.

My point being is that it would be great to have some factual (not anecdotal) information to refute these studies. It's easy to have an emotional response but that won't get us very far unfortunately.
Elk did decrease. Dramatically. As did moose and bighorn sheep. They are learning and adapting. Look up what happened to the Northern Yellowstone herd if it hasn't been scrubbed from the internet.

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
Isn’t the OR wolf population still listed as endangered through the ESA? How do you have enough wolves to give them away from an endangered population? USFW cleared that?

Looking at the CP&W employees and their outfits, anybody seeing an issue? Appearance is everything!

Bl704

WKR
I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm just asking for the source. If it's internet sleuthing then fine. If it's an anonymous insider then fine.

Why would they announce the location, given the vote was so close, some see their livelihood threatened and there are a vocal (minority) actually making mostly veiled threats.

Having said that, they did say they identified 5 or 10 potential release sites across Eagle, Grand and Summit counties. They may reuse the same sites. Above in the thread one site has already been identified within the range of a wandering wolf pack. And remaining sites won't be on federal lands...and there are a finite number of state owned/state land trust locations in those counties away from population centers...

/js

The wolves will establish their territories where they choose, not the experts.

Don't be surprised if ( a few years from now) they release the info that some traveled
a hundred miles overnight just checking out new territory.