Colorado wolves released today

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
So what happens when the wolf's are found dead. Not to be a Smartass but I'm sure someone will eliminate them if given the chance right?. I can't imagine what the elk population will be like in several years. Based on stuff I've read about idaho I don't think it will be good
At some people, people are going to be frustrated enough to take matters into their own hands. I just hope they're discreet as to not make matters worse. I'm sure there's a way to get those gps collars off. Not that I would advocate for such things, of course.

1jeds

FNG
I'm assuming a lot of decisions are being made based on studies such as this:

It states that in WY, ID, and MT where wolves are present - the elk population and hunter harvests have mainly increased.

I don't know what to make of this because everywhere I listen, and also the common sense meter tells me that both should decrease. How would the introduction of wolves NOT have an impact, I have no clue.

My point being is that it would be great to have some factual (not anecdotal) information to refute these studies. It's easy to have an emotional response but that won't get us very far unfortunately.

Flyjunky

WKR

It states that in WY, ID, and MT where wolves are present - the elk population and hunter harvests have mainly increased.

I don't know what to make of this because everywhere I listen, and also the common sense meter tells me that both should decrease. How would the introduction of wolves NOT have an impact, I have no clue.

My point being is that it would be great to have some factual (not anecdotal) information to refute these studies. It's easy to have an emotional response but that won't get us very far unfortunately.
Agreed, but emotion is the whole reason by which these introductions are passed in the first place. Facts don't matter in today's world.

Elk harvest has increased, but mainly due to elk habits changing and an astronomical amount of antlerless tags for ag damage.. Historically places that did not or had not ever seen elk, now have crop depredation problems. The interior of Idaho such as FCW (where wolves were first introduced) and Selway/Bitteroot Wilderness that had good elk numbers are now way below objective. The elk numbers dipped in 2000-2010 but rebounded in different areas that didn't historically have elk. Moose have been impacted as well with many hunts being reduced or eliminated altogether.

Hnthrdr

WKR

I mean it’s easy to see what wolves did to elk in Yellowstone, I think they went from 20k down to 10 or so ( I need to get actual numbers on this) ID, Wyo, MT are all much larger, much less densely populated states, yes the elk populations are smaller than Co or so we are told, but Co has a much larger and much more active population, plus our roads and trails really cut the environment up ie give wolves easy ways to move around during winter months when normally they would be stuck in one basin or area . I’m not sure we will know what happens till it plays out before our eyes.

Man, it would have hilarious if someone had the cajones to post up with a suppressed AR and drop each one as it stepped out of the cage door.
There was lots of talk of folks threatening to do this with shotguns when they were let loose in Idaho. Release sights were absolutely secret.

Elk harvest has increased, but mainly due to elk habits changing and an astronomical amount of antlerless tags for ag damage.. Historically places that did not or had not ever seen elk, now have crop depredation problems. The interior of Idaho such as FCW (where wolves were first introduced) and Selway/Bitteroot Wilderness that had good elk numbers are now way below objective. The elk numbers dipped in 2000-2010 but rebounded in different areas that didn't historically have elk. Moose have been impacted as well with many hunts being reduced or eliminated altogether.

Thanks for putting this up. I had an old timer in Hamilton in the early 90's tell me that the wolves in the Selway are not even the same species that existed in there at the turn of the century.

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
Somebody should get near that release site and try to do some howling/calling while they are still wondering what is going on and where they are at...might be easier to call in for a little bit here.

You know....to take pictures of course.

Flyjunky

WKR
Somebody should get near that release site and try to do some howling/calling while they are still wondering what is going on and where they are at...might be easier to call in for a little bit here.

My rifle identifies as a wireless communication device, I think I'd be legal.

What was the release video ? Why not when you're hunting and see them just shoot or do they all have collars ?

There is someone watching those GPS trackers night and day right now and foreseeably for the next few years. Some little geek in a back room of a govt building somewhere whose sole job is to stare at a screen and collect a paycheck. Know that.

If those trackers stop moving or transmit a terminal signal, there will likely be a chopper in the air if there is enough daylight left to fly....be a shame one of those woofs died at night or in the late evening. They probably wouldn't be able to get out there to see what happened until the morning.

They really want these wolves to succeed. It's all part of the liberal plan to replace hunters from the equation.

Thanks for putting this up. I had an old timer in Hamilton in the early 90's tell me that the wolves in the Selway are not even the same species that existed in there at the turn of the century.
Out of curiosity, I looked up Idaho moose info. In 2010, there were 814 antlered tags and 197 antlerless tags.
In 2023, there were 514 antlered tags and 3 antlerless tags.

mi650

WKR
Sad day for Colorado.

While everyone is here, check out this article and thank JT Romatzke for his years of civil service. Shame that the governor and this state has railroaded a good wildlife manager for political interests. Say no to ballot box biology, time to start pushing back against the cat ban incoming. https://www.gjsentinel.com/news/rom...cle_6ea64b24-9b77-11ee-8eac-1f82d93a5596.html
We did that here years ago, and while it's better than the PETA and HSUS lunatics get their way, it really not all gravy. The DNR doesn't give a rats ass about what hunters want.

Wow. Those things are going to drop right into the gore range / green mountain reservoir area. I love coyote hunting up in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll let you know when I first spot them here. Should be soon depending on which they they want to push.