Colorado Wolf survey

sneaky

"DADDY"
Ive watched every wildlife commission meeting on this issue. Its clear to me that licensed hunting of wolves will not be included as a management tool anytime soon. While it is an emotional driven inversion of the north American model, Im not so sure it matters. Wolf populations are notoriously difficult to control by hunting, increasing tag allotments/season lengths and reduction in prices of tags in Wyoming and Idaho with little to no impact on wolf numbers suggests that wolf numbers are going to do what there going to do in this state. Trapping (while more effective in some regions) isnt even on the fringes of discussion. Wolf numbers have a carrying capacity that is modeled to be 700-1000 in CO. If the ecosystem can actually support that many, thats going to be the number.
CPW wants to manage for 250, the wolf groups want a minimum of 750. There will never be agreement on numbers, and Colorado banned foothold trapping statewide years ago. Wolves will do too well in Colorado

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CPW wants to manage for 250, the wolf groups want a minimum of 750. There will never be agreement on numbers, and Colorado banned foothold trapping statewide years ago. Wolves will do too well in Colorado

Man, it seems a few states may have went through this before. Must be Deja Vu.

I would like to see a poll here of how many roksliders submitted comments for this wolf survey. I have submitted 2 and may submit a couple more. May not help...but I wonder what would happen if they got say 20,000 or 100,000 aligned survey comments. I'll bet someone is paying some damn college classroom in Boulder or Fort Collins to repeatedly submit comments on their behalf.

OP
Y
I would like to see a poll here of how many roksliders submitted comments for this wolf survey. I have submitted 2 and may submit a couple more. May not help...but I wonder what would happen if they got say 20,000 or 100,000 aligned survey comments. I'll bet someone is paying some damn college classroom in Boulder or Fort Collins to repeatedly submit comments on their behalf.
I have and got a lot of my friends to submit as well. I have even posted on other forums. I agree with you we need to overwhelm them with support from hunters. I think 250 is plenty. It just goes to show you the pro wolfs have more of an agenda to say 750 min.

I have and got a lot of my friends to submit as well. I have even posted on other forums. I agree with you we need to overwhelm them with support from hunters. I think 250 is plenty. It just goes to show you the pro wolfs have more of an agenda to say 750 min.
Spoiler alert: They won’t be happy with 750 either. When you hit that threshold, (and you will faster than any one thinks) they will file a lawsuit and tie it up in court.

574mag

FNG
Filled it out, only takes a minute or two to at least try. And costs nothing. I agree with all those who said it probably won’t help, but I also agree we have to at least attempt. And it’s pretty painless to try. I’ve only been to Colorado once to hunt, but I’d like to go again someday. It just goes against the grain to lie down and just take it.

wytx

WKR
Colorado will not care what NRs say on that survey. Get your resident friends and hunters to chime in.
I suspect NR comments will get treated like they did in Wyoming on the WTF, ignored.

Cdpp880

WKR
I don’t understand why some hunting group doesn’t litigate the crap out of this plain like all the anti groups. It’s time we as Hunter start playing by their games. As crappy as it is, it has worked for them. That plain has enough holes in it to get an injunction to not release wolfs until further studies have been done.

750 good luck it will likely be double that with all the elk and deer they have to play with in Colorado and no method to stop the population explosion that likely will occur.
This is the absolute truth.

In WI we are overrun with the things. Everytime they actually manage to pull off a hunt, those opposed propose a new study to determine genetic diversity, etc, etc, etc, and it gets tied up in court for another 3 years; meanwhile their population is exploding exponentially.

And, of course, we've been through the ever increasing population "thresholds" game too many times to count. The last season we had, the harvest quota was reached within mere hours. Antis went absolutely crazy and claimed that over half the population was shot off, as if that was a more plausible explanation than the fact that the population estimate was absurdly low the first place. Post hunt there was still plenty of wolves running around, which was easy to see for those who spent any time in wolf country.

Sadly, it's ruined what was once very good public land deer hunting in the northern portion of the state. An average guy could have access to plenty of ground, hunt hard for the season, find enough area to be left alone, and have realistic expectations of bagging a nice buck. Those days are over for now, and I fear it's coming to CO soon.

As it is in a lot of states, the geographically small but population heavy urban areas are in control of policy, and those of us who occupy more rural settings have things that don't make sense for our areas unceremoniously rammed down our throats due to a fundamental lack of understanding.

Last edited:
Colorado will not care what NRs say on that survey. Get your resident friends and hunters to chime in.
I suspect NR comments will get treated like they did in Wyoming on the WTF, ignored.
If you buy a hunting licence in the state, you should have a vote; NR hunters have a vested interest in how gane is managed.

In the case of some western states, especially CO, NR hunters actually pay for the lion's share of game and non game management costs, so why shouldn't they get a vote?

Hnthrdr

WKR

I was looking at one of the CPW potential commissioners who works for earthgardians… on their front page one of their biggest accomplishments is banning foothold traps in Co, we are royally screwed

Deadfall

WKR
Holy moly this brings back memories... Good luck to you all. Some-day there will be hunts in colorado for wolves. However, that day is at-least 10 years from now.

UncleBone

WKR
Holy moly this brings back memories... Good luck to you all. Some-day there will be hunts in colorado for wolves. However, that day is at-least 10 years from now.
Yah, AT LEAST! I would say 15 to 20 years, or maybe it will take one extra generation of liberals to kill themselves off w sex changes and abortions. Maybe Ill be able to vote for a republican or at least libertarian governer here that will win. Or Ill just leave.

Deadfall

WKR
Yah, AT LEAST! I would say 15 to 20 years, or maybe it will take one extra generation of liberals to kill themselves off w sex changes and abortions. Maybe Ill be able to vote for a republican or at least libertarian governer here that will win. Or Ill just leave.
🤣. I hear that.some pretty good libertarian candidates around. Wish tgat group would gain traction