Colorado Wolf survey

gbflyer

WKR
There’s a good graphic representation of where the votes came from in the draft management plan. About what you’d expect. It’s interesting to read, smacks of CPW’s disdain for having to deal with this. My take away is that taxpayers will be paying for dead livestock, hunters will sacrifice antlerless elk tags, and the fine folks around some of your more famous ski towns are gonna get some of the first transplants.

Edited for addition of image:

9d2df12c9bf0bc1251fe04824eb41dab.jpg

b8c17f3c61b654c63370b992be4ae4a7.jpg

Last edited:

cnelk

WKR
Hmmmm.... do I see shades of green on the Western Slope???

I definitely wouldnt do business with them folks! ;)

Overdrive

WKR
doesn't mean we shouldn't try
Well good luck with it.

Pro wolf groups will not compromise and have better resources and more money in their back pocket to keep it shut down. Just do some research and see what threshold the CPW wanted to set before a hunt would be allowed and see how the Pro wolf crowd reacted to that number, they want 3 to 4 times the number CPW proposed. Even if there was a slim chance of a hunt, I 100% promise you CPW will hire "sharp shooters" to do the culling.

It will never happen in my lifetime, want to hunt a wolf? Go North to Wyoming. Don't even need a license in many areas of the state.

OP
Y
Well good luck with it.

Pro wolf groups will not compromise and have better resources and more money in their back pocket to keep it shut down. Just do some research and see what threshold the CPW wanted to set before a hunt would be allowed and see how the Pro wolf crowd reacted to that number, they want 3 to 4 times the number CPW proposed. Even if there was a slim chance of a hunt, I 100% promise you CPW will hire "sharp shooters" to do the culling.

It will never happen in my lifetime, want to hunt a wolf? Go North to Wyoming. Don't even need a license in many areas of the state.
And we shouldn't compromise either! We need to get a spine, stand up and quit feeling like we are always going to lose. That's the problem! I'm not going to lay down.

Overdrive

WKR
And we shouldn't compromise either! We need to get a spine, stand up and quit feeling like we are always going to lose. That's the problem! I'm not going to lay down.
Well I hope you can bring Millions of dollars, lawyers and federal judges to the fight.

Better head right to Washington, DC and get that pesky ESA removed too.

All the big talk I hear just isn't realistic, why? because hunters aren't professional protesters, they work in all different professions, most don't have the unlimited funds or time to protest 24/7. A hunter's image in the public eye isn't favorable, this plays on emotions which gets the votes to ban or approve a certain agenda. Hunter's are our own worst enemy at times, we (some) have provided the fuel for the anti hunting, pro wolf type groups, responding to wolf issue's with the commonly used "SSS" get's the emotional response these groups need to fund them. Posting up pictures of dead animals or video's of hunter's giving a high 5 after a kill, more fuel=more funding. I love hunting as much as the next guy but you'll be searching a long time to find pics or video's of any of my hunt's, unless you're a very close friend or family member.

I'm open to any Realistic conversation on hunting issue's, I've donated money, attended meetings and voiced my concern on many online surveys, and have yet to see where pro hunting groups or surveys have made a difference in Colorado.

OP
Y
  1. I'm pretty sure Hunting is one of the most expensive hobbies for the normal person. So I don't think we have a money problem.
  2. I have never posted SSS and most on here doesn't either.
  3. I have never posted pics of animals I have harvested and most on here doesn't either.
  4. Just because something didn't work out in the past is no excuse for me to give up. Change can happen.
  5. Us going back and forth is keep this thread on the top. To me that's a good thing.

Ive watched every wildlife commission meeting on this issue. Its clear to me that licensed hunting of wolves will not be included as a management tool anytime soon. While it is an emotional driven inversion of the north American model, Im not so sure it matters. Wolf populations are notoriously difficult to control by hunting, increasing tag allotments/season lengths and reduction in prices of tags in Wyoming and Idaho with little to no impact on wolf numbers suggests that wolf numbers are going to do what there going to do in this state. Trapping (while more effective in some regions) isnt even on the fringes of discussion. Wolf numbers have a carrying capacity that is modeled to be 700-1000 in CO. If the ecosystem can actually support that many, thats going to be the number.

JjamesIII

WKR

gbflyer

WKR
Ive watched every wildlife commission meeting on this issue. Its clear to me that licensed hunting of wolves will not be included as a management tool anytime soon. While it is an emotional driven inversion of the north American model, Im not so sure it matters. Wolf populations are notoriously difficult to control by hunting, increasing tag allotments/season lengths and reduction in prices of tags in Wyoming and Idaho with little to no impact on wolf numbers suggests that wolf numbers are going to do what there going to do in this state. Trapping (while more effective in some regions) isnt even on the fringes of discussion. Wolf numbers have a carrying capacity that is modeled to be 700-1000 in CO. If the ecosystem can actually support that many, thats going to be the number.

The only way to effectively control them is poisoning the dens, but anyone mentioning it might as well take it themselves.

JjamesIII

WKR
That’s how they originally took care of the wolves and grizzlies. Hunting them was a novelty, the old ranchers meant business. Those were the days before wildlife became political pets of the city folks.

It took blood red Idaho nearly 15 years to get its first wolf season. The animal groups are well funded and well conversed at pulling heart stings of the general public. Once you hit the agreed upon numbers, they will reneg and file a lawsuit to stop the hunt.

JjamesIII

WKR
It took blood red Idaho nearly 15 years to get its first wolf season. The animal groups are well funded and well conversed at pulling heart stings of the general public. Once you hit the agreed upon numbers, they will reneg and file a lawsuit to stop the hunt.
That’s exactly what I stated in their survey- I mentioned “ballot box biology” and leaving the target population objectives up to the experts, not the public pressure. It’s the standard operating procedure for the animal rights extremist in both the US and Canada. Tie it up in court while petitions are being signed.

That’s exactly what I stated in their survey- I mentioned “ballot box biology” and leaving the target population objectives up to the experts, not the public pressure. It’s the standard operating procedure for the animal rights extremist in both the US and Canada. Tie it up in court while petitions are being signed.
And the whole time its delayed, that population is exploding.