Colorado taxidermist

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have recent experience with Adventures Wildlife Studio out of Colorado? He has 3 bucks and a hide of mine and is making me nervous with his lack of communication and not updating or sharing his new address. He keeps dragging me along and telling me he’ll touch bases every two weeks but will only text me after not answering my calls and me leaving messages and texts. He’s had the big buck (shoulder mount) for 18 months, and a really nice super mass buck(European) for a year. Any help would be appreciated.

18 months is a long time but I've heard some of the busier taxidermy studios are at least a year or more for shoulder mounts these days. Was it his idea or yours to update you every 2 weeks? That seems excessive in my experience with taxis. I'll maybe touch base with them after 6 months or so to see how it's going if I haven't heard anything from them.

JoeB

Lil-Rokslider
did he actually tell you he would touch base every two weeks? If I did that for each of my taxidermy customers I would never get any work done and out the door. Did he give any ideas as to turn around time when dropped off? most taxidermist that are any good at all are running a year to a year and a half turn around times. If he send his capes out to be tanned that could be one of the hangups. Im waiting a bit over a year now on a zebra skin that I wanted to be working on by now but its still at the tannery. Unfortunatly there are too many that think taxidermy is a great money maker and after they get in too deep they run out of steam and work quality and quantity slipps off tremendously. Or there's the possibility that he is having some personal family or health issues.

rjschill

FNG
I think you will get your animals back and be happy with the work, but it will be frustrating until you do.

I took my moose there September 2021 and was told March/April of 2022 for completion… I got my mount back June 2023.

Communication was non existent. I was really patient and called every 6 months or so and was always told the same… it’s next to be done. The most frustrating was when I got a call in March 2023 for final payment and it would be done in 30 days. 30 turned to 60 to 90.

I will say it was during Covid which I think had a factor, but it was still kind of unbelievable and at a point I thought something happened to it and they weren’t telling me.

The mount did turn out great though so that was kind of the saving grace.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like a long time to me, but there could be all kinds of reasons for not having it yet (as some have posted above).

Maybe swing by the shop to have a chat?

OP
DeerCatcherUT/CO

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
18 months is a long time but I've heard some of the busier taxidermy studios are at least a year or more for shoulder mounts these days. Was it his idea or yours to update you every 2 weeks? That seems excessive in my experience with taxis. I'll maybe touch base with them after 6 months or so to see how it's going if I haven't heard anything from them.
I’ve just been trying to contact him every two weeks because he said it would be done about a month and a half ago, and since I have no way of seeing him in person since he moved shops, it’s my only way of making sure he didn’t ghost me