Colorado state trust land

Ucsdryder

WKR
Riddle me this…

Colorado closes some of its state trust land that it leases out. I believe that land is leased mainly to farmers and rancher…but then those farmers and ranchers lease that state land to outfitters. I’d be really curious to know how much ranchers and farmers are leasing this land for vs subleasing it to ranchers.

Why wouldn’t the state lease grazing/farming rights only? Why give full control to a private individual and let them sublease it?

WTFJohn

WKR
Riddle me this…

Colorado closes some of its state trust land that it leases out. I believe that land is leased mainly to farmers and rancher…but then those farmers and ranchers lease that state land to outfitters. I’d be really curious to know how much ranchers and farmers are leasing this land for vs subleasing it to ranchers.

Why wouldn’t the state lease grazing/farming rights only? Why give full control to a private individual and let them sublease it?

Recreational (hunting) rights and grazing rights can be & are separated on some (maybe all, not sure) state trust lands.

The state land in our neighborhood has posted signs that says no trespassing, but right in the middle of forest service property. I’ve never seen anyone or anything but deer and elk use it.

State trust lands are managed by a State Board of Commissioners whose primary purpose is to generate income to fund schools throughout the great state of Colorado. Secondary recreational opportunities are at the discretion of the State School Board in consult with CPW. Things are getting better though as more and more Trust Lands are opening up to hunting and fishing.

Last edited:
OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
State trust lands are managed by a State Board of Commissioners whose primary purpose is to generate income to fund schools throughout the great state of Colorado. Secondary recreational opportunities are at the the discretion of the State School Board in consult with CPW. Things are getting better though as more and more Trust Lands are opening up to hunting and fishing.
Slippery slope of course. Sell it all or lease it all and maximize profits. Lease it to outfitters to lock up and pretty soon we’re talking like Utah.

Slippery slope of course. Sell it all or lease it all and maximize profits. Lease it to outfitters to lock up and pretty soon we’re talking like Utah.
If you are a CO resident contact your State rep and voice you're opinion. Nebraska is alot like CO with their Trust Lands. The Trust Land legal structure was establish way back when the State was being settled and a State Constitution drawn up. I'm a hunter so I feel the same way you do but the bottom line is Trust Lands are to fund schools not to make every recreationalist happy.

Last edited:
OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
If you are a CO resident contact your State rep and voice you're opinion. Nebraska is alot like CO with their Trust Lands. The Trust Land legal structure was establish way back when the State was being settled and a State Constitution drawn up. I'm a hunter so I feel the same way you do but the bottom line is Trust Lands are to fund schools not to make every recreationalist happy.
Good info. I appreciate it! I wonder if in the current climate if leading is the best way to fund schools. Lots of people looking to recreate that would be willing to pay for a trespass fee. A version of a parks pass or a pass to hunt.

Overdrive

WKR
A friend and I turned in a bid years ago for the Rec Lease on some Trust Land, the rancher was a real jerk about letting anyone on it to hunt, even though my friends property shared a mile of property line with it.

The state guy we were working with was excited to hopefully get more money for the lease cause the rancher only had the grazing lease. So we bid it at $8k a year for 1600 acres, we would divide the expense among guys that drew tags in the area that were family or friends with kids. Someone else in the state office notified the rancher about the Rec Lease bid, so he out bid us by $1 and got it (was supposed to be sealed bid) so we didn't get it but it cost the old SOB $8001 extra that year.

Anyone can bid for the leases if you want, I still have some friends that have Rec leases on state trust.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
A friend and I turned in a bid years ago for the Rec Lease on some Trust Land, the rancher was a real jerk about letting anyone on it to hunt, even though my friends property shared a mile of property line with it.

The state guy we were working with was excited to hopefully get more money for the lease cause the rancher only had the grazing lease. So we bid it at $8k a year for 1600 acres, we would divide the expense among guys that drew tags in the area that were family or friends with kids. Someone else in the state office notified the rancher about the Rec Lease bid, so he out bid us by $1 and got it (was supposed to be sealed bid) so we didn't get it but it cost the old SOB $8001 extra that year.

Anyone can bid for the leases if you want, I still have some friends that have Rec leases on state trust.
This property is leased by a big outfitter. I bet he pays big money for it. Wouldn’t be surprised if the LO is making money after leasing and subleasing.

pds794

FNG
I used to work for a ranch that had the grazing lease for a state land board property. It all depends on what the state's objectives are for each property. As Overdrive mentioned most ranchers only have the grazing lease, especially for large contiguous properties that will have multiple other lessees. The property I worked at had at least 5 separate lease holders for different resources. But some of the ranchers on smaller properties have the rec leases too. If you study Onx you'll notice quite a few CSLB sections surrounded by private property. That's always seemed a little odd to me. Funny how studying public land use can quickly lead to a history of the railroads.

Regarding the OP, to my knowledge, which could certainly be wrong, a rancher couldn't sublease the recreational hunting/fishing rights, unless they also held the rec lease. Even then I'm not sure that would be allowed.

For some reason that I do not recall, I have always been under the impression that outfitting was not permitted on state trust lands in Colorado.

I could be mistaken.

cnelk

WKR
For some reason that I do not recall, I have always been under the impression that outfitting was not permitted on state trust lands in Colorado.

I could be mistaken.
No outfitting if leased by the CPW

C. Prohibited Activities Except as otherwise provided in these regulations, the following provisions apply to all State Trust Lands leased by Colorado Parks and Wildlife:

1. It is unlawful for any person to enter, use or occupy any area or portion thereof for any purpose when posted against such entry, use or occupancy.
2. Motorized vehicle use is restricted to designated roads.
3. Littering is prohibited. All trash must be packed out by State Trust land users.
4. Camping and fires are prohibited, unless otherwise posted.
5. Where camping is permitted as posted, it is unlawful to leave a camp, pitched tent, shelter, motor vehicle, or trailer unattended for more than 48 hours, or to camp or to park a travel trailer or camper on any one State Trust Land Public Access Program property for more than 14 days in any 45-day period.
6. Access is by foot or horseback only, unless otherwise posted.

7. No outfitting or non-wildlife related public access is permitted.

8. Target practice or non-hunting-related shooting is prohibited.
9. It is unlawful to possess the following types of ammunition and/or firearms: tracer rounds, armor-piercing rounds, military hardened rounds with explosive or radioactive substances, .50 caliber BMG rounds, or fully automatic firearms.
10. It is unlawful to possess, store, or use hay, straw, or mulch which has not been certified as noxious weed free in accordance with the Weed Free Forage Crop Certification Act, Sections 35-27.5-101 to 108, C.R.S., or any other state or province participating in the Regional Certified Weed Free Forage Program. See Appendix A of this chapter. All materials so certified shall be clearly marked as such by the certifying state or province. Exempted from this prohibition are persons transporting such materials on Federal, State, or County roads that cross State Trust Lands leased by the Division, and hay produced on the property where it is being used.
11. Consumption of alcoholic beverages on lands and waters under the supervision, administration, and/or jurisdiction of the Division is permitted with the following exceptions: a. It shall be prohibited to consume alcoholic beverages on any archery or firearm range unless specifically authorized by a concession contract, cooperative agreement or special activities permit, and then only allowed in areas specifically designated by the contract, agreement, or permit. b. It shall be prohibited to sell and/or dispense alcoholic beverages on any lands and waters under the supervision, administration, and/or jurisdiction of the Division unless specifically authorized by a concession contract, cooperative agreement, or special activities permit, and then only allowed in areas specifically designated by the contract, agreement, or permit and the applicant party has obtained all appropriate licenses and permits to sell and/or dispense alcoholic beverages. c. It shall be prohibited to be present on any lands and waters under the supervision, administration, and/or jurisdiction of the Division when under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substance to the degree that may endanger oneself or another person, damage property or resources, or may cause unreasonable interference with another person’s enjoyment of any lands or waters under the supervision, administration, and/or jurisdiction of the Division.

Bluumoon

WKR

Mind pointing me in the right direction. I have a piece that I'd be interested in bidding on if I could find out how.

KBaird

FNG
After a three year push to open some STL’s I think they’re up to almost a million acres, out of roughly three, that’s accessible. Even though that’s probably largely the least desirable third of the available acres that’s a hell of a lot better than the zero acres Nebraska allows access on, that was mentioned in comparison.

Hnthrdr

WKR

Interesting, a buddy of mine started digging in on this and put a bid in supposedly sealed to get a small but killer stl spot for waterfowl… well magically the farmer that had the lease prior outbid him by a couple bucks. Definitely has the feel of a good ole boy system for sure.

It is weird how some of the spots get green lit for access and some are not. I think they could lease the grass to the ranchers and still keep them open for recreational opportunities, but that would mean some of the ranchers or land owner would lose a bunch of land they consider “theirs”