Colorado OTC Archery Elk Advice

Beastland

FNG
In a couple weeks I'm going to be headed to Colorado for and OTC archery elk hunt with a buddy of mine. This will be my first elk hunt and first time in Colorado and we have been planning this for a year now. Ive been doing all the research, going thru unit statistics and OnX info, but I thought Id come here for some additional info. Our original plan was to hunt somewhere between 42-43 all the way down to 74-75 along the divide and pack in deep. We were slowly narrowing down units last year but now between fires and other things, we are considering the Grand Junction 30-31 area. Anyone have any thoughts or advice? Not looking for honey holes just some extra info. I dont need trophy elk areas, just areas with good chances of elk and maybe less crowds.

43 has a lot of elk but it some rugged territory lots of elevation and blow down but I’ve gotten to some in elk in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not looking for honey holes just some extra info. I dont need trophy elk areas, just areas with good chances of elk and maybe less crowds.

Im pretty sure this is the same thing everyone is looking for.

Thanks for the response justinspicher, Im glad you went out of your way to tell me that. Next time just move along. Brett8133 thanks for the info. I did some more research yesterday and today on some other units and I think I have my starting point, but 43 is still in a backup plan.

Beastland,

You’re most welcome for the comment, but it’s the truth. There’s a lot of folks that come out west and want info and that’s the exact line they use. What do you expect?

I’m sure you spend time in your neck of the woods scouting just like the folks out here do and would probably not want to give up any info either, so don’t try to play innocent.

You, along with everyone else who wants info, should really think about what it is you want and what info you’re really going to get based on what you’re asking for.

Try asking more about terrain, weather patterns, water and feed availability and density of hunters in the area. Then maybe ask about trail systems, local guides and if there’s a nearby or local place to hang meat or get it processed.

Just simply stating that you want info on an area is pretty vague, and getting upset over a pretty vague answer is pointless.

If you want info on 74-75, put some thought into it and give me a shout, I live and work here and I’d be glad to help you, just like the numerous folks I’ve helped over the last few years.

Good luck with your season.

I give out info on what I know because I know my info is only gonna help get them closer, there feet on the ground and being there is what its gonna come down to. If you were willing to give some help you could have phrased that in a questuon like "what kind of info are you exactly looking for?" Instead you just gave a smart ass response. I get it, you know your area and dont want outsiders to come in, thats fine just dont respond. I put those things you quoted in there as a courtesy, it was a sign of respect thats all. You could have also just told me what you said in your last response the first time.

BTW, the whole point of this site and others like it is to share information, not look at everyones post comment stupid shit on it. Go to the comments section of yahoo news if you want to do that.

Wow.

Little secret bud. Asking for "areas with good chances of elk and maybe less crowds" IS asking for a "honey-hole". So, If you are going to ask that question then you need to be prepared for the answers you are going to get - without the attitude next time.

Good luck to you this Fall.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Wow. Nothing like a guy with 9 post laying into Justinspicher for no reason. Solid plan on getting people to help. A little decency and respect goes a long way. If you didn’t like his reply maybe you should just skip over it.

Yes, these forums are for helping people but to be totally honest you asked a ridiculous question. Your not the only one looking for less people and more elk, there is right around 50k people in the next few weeks looking for that exact spot. It’s Colorado OTC elk, not a OIL sheep tag where guys will be much more apt to give away info.

The Colorado elk statistics page can give you more info then your going to get here about elk and hunter numbers in the units your interested in.

For the record to all newbies....any low pressure hunting area holding elk in an OTC unit in Colorado is going to be considered a "honey hole" Any info posted online about these areas will definitely make them honey holes no more. You will have to find these places on your own if you want them to be productive. If you want specific information on drainages and trailheads Id call the biologist, you don't want that information available for the masses to read. Also remove the chip from your shoulder if you want any help from experienced folks.

Beastland, you probably are only looking for reassurance on your plan. It seems like you have done some homework. Although it may ease your mind, no matter what info ppl. on here give you it won't make you have a successful hunt. At this point, just pick a spot and go with it. Colorado has a lot of elk, and you can find places where there are no other hunters. Hunting pressure varies from week to week.
On the flip side, what if I posted on here that the border of unit 18 and 20 has really great elk hunting and never gets hunted? Also, it is best to walk south east of Rt. 34 into unit 20 and you will have a good chance at elk. If this was a "honey hole", it isn't anymore. Everyone on the internet can read that.
Don't be so defensive, just go hunt and learn the area. You will be surprised of the rewards. Good luck.
*Also, reconsider "packing in deep" until you learn an area and find elk.

Last edited:
Ok, obviously Im in the wrong here based on responses. So I will try this again. I do mean this in a polite way with no disrespect meant. Can anyone tell me about the overall drought conditions north vs south and fire conditions north vs south. Im talking about oct archery areas west of the divide. Im prepared to move around until I get into some elk but wanted to figure out which part of the state im headed to first. I have units in both areas that Ive picked out but without being able to be there, I cant get current conditions. Any other info your willing to share would be great, anything helps. As for honey holes, I guess Colorado is a little different than where I come.

If I was elk hunting and had the choice between a region that was dry or a region with normal moister I would pick the dry region. Animals should be more concentrated so once you find them you should be in a ton of them.

I’m no help on actual conditions, but I would think a lot of the otc hunters that are displaced by any fire closures will want to hunt the same general area they are familiar with. Since 74 has a good sized area closed to access I would expect a lot of those displaced hunters to be hunting close to that area. Which in turn would make the areas open in 74 slightly more crowded then normal. Same with the surrounding units. Some of the displaced hunters might hunt 75 instead.

Anyway I would just pick an area that has the type of terrain and vegitation you want to hunt and go for it.

In a couple weeks I'm going to be headed to Colorado for and OTC archery elk hunt with a buddy of mine. This will be my first elk hunt and first time in Colorado and we have been planning this for a year now. Ive been doing all the research, going thru unit statistics and OnX info, but I thought Id come here for some additional info. Our original plan was to hunt somewhere between 42-43 all the way down to 74-75 along the divide and pack in deep. We were slowly narrowing down units last year but now between fires and other things, we are considering the Grand Junction 30-31 area. Anyone have any thoughts or advice? Not looking for honey holes just some extra info. I dont need trophy elk areas, just areas with good chances of elk and maybe less crowds.

Not sure what packing in deep means to you, but elk are big animals. Be prepared to get one out. The terrain and how good of shape you are in need to be accounted for in order to get one out before it spoils.
Good luck on your hunt!

Look at it this way... whatever you choose and learn this year you can apply it to next year.
I've been living in CO for over 4 years and am yet to punch an elk tag and I assure you I'm still trying to find a public otc unit "with good chances of elk and maybe less crowds"
Wishful thinking I guess
Happy hunting

For the record, justinspicher has helped me a ton in the past. If you search the forum for not looking for honey holes I bet you get hundreds if not thousands of threads. OTC units are hit hard so finding areas with less pressure, let alone more elk is a challenge. I'd just suggest asking more pointed questions...what's the water situation on x mountain, is the fire from x year on x mountain producing much good feed etc. Hard to find someone to tell you a given area has a few elk with not many people chasing them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Back