Colorado hotel resort within 2.5 hours of Denver.

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I want to get away to the Rockies for a long weekend towards the end of summer for our anniversary. We love Montana and Wyoming but flying there from Atlanta or Chattanooga will eat up an entire day of travel each way. Flying into Denver is cheap and easy. Can some folks familiar with the area please give me a rundown of some nicer luxury hotels/resorts and towns in the mountains within a 2 to 2.5 hour drive of the Denver airport? We love the Broadmoor but it’s actually booked that weekend. I’m considering Breckinridge or Vail it I don’t even recognize any of the hotels in Breckinridge. I am open to all suggestions including other locations within a decently short drive of Denver. Thanks in advance.

Gotcha_

FNG
My wife and I want to get away to the Rockies for a long weekend towards the end of summer for our anniversary. We love Montana and Wyoming but flying there from Atlanta or Chattanooga will eat up an entire day of travel each way. Flying into Denver is cheap and easy. Can some folks familiar with the area please give me a rundown of some nicer luxury hotels/resorts and towns in the mountains within a 2 to 2.5 hour drive of the Denver airport? We love the Broadmoor but it’s actually booked that weekend. I’m considering Breckinridge or Vail it I don’t even recognize any of the hotels in Breckinridge. I am open to all suggestions including other locations within a decently short drive of Denver. Thanks in advance.
Buena Vista is nice, senic, and off the i70 corridor so not swamped with people in the summer.

Glenwood Springs is about 2.5 hrs in good traffic, longer on Friday going out and Sunday coming back.

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
Glenwood Springs is about 2.5 hrs in good traffic, longer on Friday going out and Sunday coming back.

You beat me to it. Lol!

blicero

Lil-Rokslider
Sonnenalp in Vail!

Seconded, took the family there for my wife and I's 10th anniversary. Kids still talk about Ludwig's breakfast five years later ("What was that really fancy hotel we stayed at with the breakfast? We should go there again").

Only caveat is Sunday traffic back towards Denver is brutal so if you end up staying anywhere along the I-170 corridor, suggest driving back to airport and flying home on a Monday.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another vote for https://maps.app.goo.gl/XeBU685aEwxvfpof8?g_st=com.google.maps.preview.copy
The town is very walkable, restaurants and shops are good. You’re not far off from many outdoor activities.

How late summer are you talking? The area is seasonal and a lot of shops/ restaurants have minimal hours or are closed. That doesn’t mean that it’s a ghost town just plan ahead.

In contrast to the broadmor I much prefer Sonnenalp. It’s a smaller atmosphere with similar amenities and level of service. Also when you’re at the Broadmore you’re not really close to anything offsite and yes there’s lots of attractions around Colorado Springs but it’s a city and doesn’t feel like a getaway. I’ve spent a lot of time at the Broadmore for my wife’s work and last year we went to a secondary work function at that place in Vail. Hotel wise it’s a draw but surrounding areas I give the nod to vail.

A little farther away but worth considering is Steamboat Springs. Don’t have a hotel recommendation but the town is a slower pace and less expensive than Vail. Probably the most relaxing.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seconded, took the family there for my wife and I's 10th anniversary. Kids still talk about Ludwig's breakfast five years later ("What was that really fancy hotel we stayed at with the breakfast? We should go there again").

Only caveat is Sunday traffic back towards Denver is brutal so if you end up staying anywhere along the I-170 corridor, suggest driving back to airport and flying home on a Monday.
Pro tip, wait until after 7pm. You’ll get back at the same time as if you left at 4pm.

We hosted our wedding welcome party at The Hythe in Vail last July. The staff were excellent and everyone staying there really enjoyed the hotel. The short walk into the village and restaurants would be great for anniversary dinner.

If you want a night in the mountains, head up to the cabins at Piney River Ranch just north of Vail on Red Sandstone Road. We had our wedding there and could not have had a better location. Absolutely amazing location on the edge of the Eagle Nest Wilderness and you are far away from the crowds. Bonus is very high chance of seeing moose around Piney lake by the cabins.