Colorado Fishing Question

McCree

Lil-Rokslider
I'm headed out to CO in Sept for a unit 551 elk hunt. Unfortunately, due to unforeseen heath issues, my hunting partner can't make it. Rather than make the drive and hunt solo, I have another buddy tagging along. He isn't hunting but loves to fly fish. So, I'm looking for any input, guidance, and suggestions for fly fishing opportunities in the vicinity of unit 551. Thanks!

JDPAPA

FNG
Look up the town that is near where you are staying for fly shops.
If you are going at the front or end of your trip, that can give you some obvious flexibility on where to go. I primarily fish MT and WY but if you are anywhere near one of the many CO trout streams it will be worth a diversion. Call the fly shops and ask what is going on in the rivers, the honest ones won’t take your money. There are a couple in Missoula that are like that and will tell you straight out that the fishing is not good right now etc. So call more than one shop or outfitter and just ask about your timeframe and what options you could have. Typical rates for 2 on a float trip is anywhere from 575 to about 675 per day for two people/anglers.

KyleR1985

WKR
Gunni fly shop pointed me in the right direction several times.

I’ve been able to get on fish on the gunnison pretty much every time out the last several years. Admittedly never in September though as I was always hunting!

Have been wanting to catch the Kokanee run

Phaseolus

WKR
Tomichi creek along the west side of Monarch Pass can be quite good. The Gunnison River and The Taylor River can be world class too with a bit of driving. IMG_7788.jpeg

Atoka Man

FNG
I'm headed out to CO in Sept for a unit 551 elk hunt. Unfortunately, due to unforeseen heath issues, my hunting partner can't make it. Rather than make the drive and hunt solo, I have another buddy tagging along. He isn't hunting but loves to fly fish. So, I'm looking for any input, guidance, and suggestions for fly fishing opportunities in the vicinity of unit 551. Thanks!
Colorado resident here, not familiar with that area, but when I'm looking at a new area I check out the CPW fishing atlas. It gives you very basic information on what to expect in each fishing area. Includes lakes, creeks, and rivers, although not comprehensive. Give that a try.