Shed Hunting, Mule Deer Scout trip, and Fishing!

rbljack

WKR
We decided to take off for the weekend and try turkey hunting the MTN of New Mexico. Also had our 2 year old lab with us for the trip. Got to do some Turkey hunting and got close but couldn't get it done. The wind was rippin most of the weekend and calling was tough. Had one Tom on his way in, but we didn't set up in the right spot, and he hung up at 80 yards and wouldn't commit.

Then the dog got some mtn time and we shed hunt and put up a few cameras. No luck finding sheds. I forgot to bring an antler with me (for training), so I didnt really task the dog with searching for sheds. He has picked up some around the house and the backyard, but I didnt feel that it would be wise to ask him to search for hours and come up empty. Id rather have a "ringer" that I can drop every now and again for him to "find".

Also decided to drive around and look for a few new spots and strategies because my wife drew a deer tag for this fall. While driving around on the two track, literally drove over a spike Elk Shed. Luckily it didnt get into the tire and as it went under the truck....we were like" was that a shed?"lol

Most successful part of the weekend was the trout fishing. Did will on a few different flavors of powerbait, and also threw some flies behind a bubble (too windy for actual fly fishing). Didnt limit out on any one day, but caught a handful of fish each day. The wife got the largest which was an 18" fat rainbow. Not bad for a lake full of mostly "stockers".

Back