Colorado Cow Moose Hunt ‘24

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
After I got all the meat, hide and head (yes head - have to submit it for registration) to the truck, I headed to the local town to get the meat to the meat locker for cooling down.

With the high temps, there was no way I could get it cooled down in time.

Once I dropped off the meat, I went to the small city park and fleshed and salted the hide. :)

IMG_4258.jpegIMG_4256.jpeg

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
After that I went to the local community center and took a shower for $5. It had been a week!

Then I went back to camp and had a whiskey. Maybe 2.

Yesterday I broke down camp and went back to the local town and picked up the meat, registered the moose at the CPW office where they took an incisor tooth and a tissue sample for DNA.

The I drove 2 hours home and took the quarters to my processor.

The 4 quarters weighed 180lbs. I weighed the loose meat here at home and that was 30lbs.
Similar size to my 5pt bull elk I killed earlier this year.

She wasn’t a super big cow. I’ll get the tooth data in a couple months. I’m guessing she was probably 3 years old.

Thank for reading.

Next up is my Wyoming Buck tag - Nov1

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I’ll get the tooth data in a couple months.
Thanks for the reminder. I checked on my daughter's cow moose from last year before I went hunting in Sept and they still didn't have the tooth age data up. Just checked it and it's up for '23.......it says 8 years old under the cementum column and 8-9 years estimate under the other.

Congratulations on the moose! The meat is well worth the money.......as a resident, LOL.

Pro953

WKR
I had never seen mule tape. You use it instead of paracord? I hate how paracord digs into some trees during bear hangs. I wonder if this would work better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
I had never seen mule tape. You use it instead of paracord? I hate how paracord digs into some trees during bear hangs. I wonder if this would work better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still use paracord in certain situations. Especially if I need short lengths of something to tie.

But you can’t beat mule tape for pulling or heavy use.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
I should add, mule tape is mostly used by electricians to pull large wire through conduits.

If you know an electrician, he may have some used stuff kicking around.