Colorado 3rd Season...big buck or bust!

Spent the morning not far from the truck glassing some new country. Saw around 25 does and 5 small bucks. Turned out there was a 4 wheeler road not far so this spot wasn't secluded but it could have potential after this storm hits. This is my recovery day. Really just trying to find multiple spots that are fairly easy to get to where there are does that I can hit this last weekend if needed.

Tonight I'm going to the spot that I went on day 1 (with the big 3 pt and bear)

Alright buddy, thanks for taking us along. Been waiting to hear from you.
Here is an awesome forecast from NOAA for above 8,000 feet in your area; This is the kind of weather I've done pretty good in! I'd love to be hunting this weekend down there. Glad you are.

Today Mostly sunny, with a high near 55. Southwest wind 5 to 15 mph.

Tonight A chance of rain and snow before 4am, then a chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33. South wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.Friday A chance of rain and snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 45. Breezy, with a south southwest wind 10 to 15 mph increasing to 15 to 20 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Friday Night Occasional rain and snow showers, becoming all snow after 2am. Low around 24. South southwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Saturday Snow with areas of blowing snow. High near 31. West southwest wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.Saturday Night Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 14. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Veterans Day A 40 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 24.

Look at those highs! They drop over 30 degrees in the next few days. The high on Saturday doesn't even get to freezing and Sunday only gets to 24 degrees. Those does will be stocking up on groceries and your chances of catching a good buck around them just went way up. This is the best thing that could've happened for you, IMHO.

Sweet. This should get interesting. Just got a local weather warning that 8-16 inches above 11k feet thru sat night. This is what I needed.

Good deer hunting mixed in with a little survival mode. I can't wait!

Productive day...found a new spot with lots of does, got permission to cross a key piece of private that land locks public (great spot that I hunted last year but now it will save an hour hike), and ate a cheese burger the size of my head.
Now pirched on a hillside about 800 Ft up and a mile from the truck glasssing some oakbrush and quakies

big storm coming r way vandal!!

Vandal, this big storm coming our way is gonna make something happen. Can't wait to see what that is ..... robby, thanks for the helpful tips. I tried an area today based off what u said and I found a big buck with about 20 does. He's about 26 wide with big backs and good fronts (no eyeguards though). Know where alot of does r hanging out now, just waiting for the storm to roll through.

Not big storm yet. It rained and snowed some and now its partly sunny. Going to re group and hit the backside in a few hours.

Saw 8 bucks and about 25 does this morning. Biggest was the 170 buck I had on video...he's now dead. I watched a guy shoot him. Saw a couple new 4 pts but not over 165.

Putting all my chips on this ridge for the rest of the hunt there is some hunting pressure but its thick, in a migration corridor, and there's at least 40 does on the front and back.

Hunt that ridge, but make sure you're still glassing all the country in 4 mile circle. Sounds like the bulk of the storm is tonight into Saturday...

Well guys I don't even know what to type...sorry this has been such a long uneventful hunt. I have no good pics or video's to share at this point. This hunt is tough. It's a marathon and right now I'm at mile 21.

Raining right now and I'm sure it is snowing up high. When I wake up if there's not much snow and cloud line is high I might abandon my plan and go higher where I saw that big, heavy 3x4. After today I really doubt there is a big buck on that ridge...well at least within a sqaure mile. One could show up any time but unless I get some snow that probably won't happen.

Hey man!
Good to hear from you. No worries, we're not bored. As you've heard me say, trophy buck hunting can be pretty boring...
but we love it 'cause it can all change on a dime.

That rain should change to snow and don't forget, the bucks are moving more now than at any other time of the fall. Where one is not today, he could be tomorrow. Just keep watching likely areas. The best two days are ahead of you. High of 20 on Sunday.

In 1996, we got a storm down there like this when I was hunting and came close to killing a 35" buck at 11:00 am chasing does around in the oakbrush. Of course I missed, but learned that day that anything can happen in a good area during the rut.

Hey man!
Good to hear from you. No worries, we're not bored. As you've heard me say, trophy buck hunting can be pretty boring...
but we love it 'cause it can all change on a dime.

That rain should change to snow and don't forget, the bucks are moving more now than at any other time of the fall. Where one is not today, he could be tomorrow. Just keep watching likely areas. The best two days are ahead of you. High of 20 on Sunday.

In 1996, we got a storm down there like this when I was hunting and came close to killing a 35" buck at 11:00 am chasing does around in the oakbrush. Of course I missed, but learned that day that anything can happen in a good area during the rut.

I would agree anything can happen, but the more I hear from robby it seems there are A LOT of misses! ;)
Shoot straight!

3 inches and snowing hard. Maybe 200 yard visibility. Going to slowly walk the top of the ridge

a3d
there have been ALOT of misses over the years. No excuses except one: big deer rarely give you much time to make a shot.

Go Vandal!

Back