Cold Plunges?

*zap*

WKR
My goal was 90 seconds and I believe I made it about 20 seconds before I got out and was immediately very very disappointed in myself.
I feel like I could have easily done 90 seconds or a few minutes if I could have gotten my breath under control. I’m gonna keep at it every morning, but does anyone have any tips to getting your breathing under control??
breath deep and slow....

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
I do the 180° dry sauna for 20 before every workout (pretty much daily and some days 2x) then as cold as possible shower for 90 seconds or so (let water hit my head/face and then slowly turn so it hits all my upper body). That combo has been very good for me...then 20 in the sauna after workout. Without the shower for sauna and then workout I was kinda flat for the workout...

Mag_7s

WKR
I did a quick search on here and didn’t find much discussion so I’m curious, does anyone do regular ice baths/cold water plunges?
I initially wanted to try it just to help with mental toughness and willpower but the more I read about it there seems to be a lot more benefits. From reduced inflammation to improved circulation and even improved fat burning.
I tried it for the first time this morning at 5:15am. It was 21° outside and I had to use my kids toy shovel to chop the thin layer of ice off the stock tank I set up in the back yard. I was calm, cool and collected when I sat down in the tank but my lung’s immediately went into panic mode of short, rapid breathing. I tried to slow my breath down but to no avail, probably had something to do with the immediate shock of the cold and having never done it before. My goal was 90 seconds and I believe I made it about 20 seconds before I got out and was immediately very very disappointed in myself.
I feel like I could have easily done 90 seconds or a few minutes if I could have gotten my breath under control. I’m gonna keep at it every morning, but does anyone have any tips to getting your breathing under control??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I was going through swift water/rescue training we were taught to splash water on our face before we got in to help control hyperventilating.

OP
khart_6882
When I was going through swift water/rescue training we were taught to splash water on our face before we got in to help control hyperventilating.

Thanks guys. Got the breathing figured out by basically starting with my lungs full. Once I’ve gotten shoulder deep in the water just focusing on slow exhales. Gotten now to where I’m doing 4 minutes daily and it’s going fantastic

Braaap

WKR
If you like and if allowed I can add some links to each item. Nothing is really secured hose or wire wise since I’m renting right now and plan to set it up permanent when I move.

- spa pump to circulate water. The temp prob is tied to it…. It sits on the bottom

- pond liner paint but I’m sure any pool paint will work

- temp regulator set at a 3 degree dead band to kick the freezer on and off and regulate at 33 degrees

- ozone generator set on a timer to come on 30 mins a day. I’d say not to skimp and spend the 200-250 on a good one. I went cheap the first time and water got nasty. Stays perfect now.

- GFCI surge protector but always unplug before hoping in.

View attachment 534235
Links would be great!

Trybendr

FNG
Links would be great!
Sorry for the delay man work has been crazy!

- pump to circulate water

- ozone generator ( don’t skimp here )

- epoxy paint to line the inside

- Temperature regulator

For sealing the seams I just used a waterproof caulking. Can’t remember the brand but just whatever’s at your local hardware store. I did 2 rounds of it and kept applying the paint in coats until I was out.

Some material to reference

bozeman

WKR
I've been cold plunging 3 - 4 days/week since Oct as the weather got colder in our pool outside.......I am now getting water temps above 55°F, so went and built a DIY deep freeze cold plunge. Inaugural plunge was this AM with water temp at 47°F.....will bring it down 2 degrees per week to get to 35°F........I was in for 4 minutes this AM.......well worth it for me!

Braaap

WKR
I've been cold plunging 3 - 4 days/week since Oct as the weather got colder in our pool outside.......I am now getting water temps above 55°F, so went and built a DIY deep freeze cold plunge. Inaugural plunge was this AM with water temp at 47°F.....will bring it down 2 degrees per week to get to 35°F........I was in for 4 minutes this AM.......well worth it for me!
Not including the cost of the freezer how much did you spend?

bozeman

WKR
inkbird on amazon- $30, step stool $15, aquarium water circulator $19.

the plan is to take 2 gallons out per week and put 2 gallons in (total is 21 gallons). 1/2 cup of peroxide to keep the water clean.

Last edited:
Ever since I fell out of my boat and went under water in the Susquehanna river in late goose season I have tried to stay as far away from cold water as possible. Lol

bozeman

WKR
Yes, sauna is good as well. I do that 3x / week. 25 mins/3min cold shower, 15 mins/3 min cold shower……cold plunge in the AMs

Romans828

FNG
You guys are way tougher than me.

That said, it is really tough for me to find a way to do this in central AZ in the spring/summer! Plus my PEX water lines run through the hot attic so my water is never cold in the summer.

jeedo

FNG
I started with cold showers, i don't like building up to cold, i just like going in, for me that's part of growing that 'mental toughness'. Also doing concentrated breathwork outside of cold plunges/showers (almost like a meditation, just focusing on deep breathing) helped with doing it in the water and also just gave me a tool to chill during the day if something is stressing me out. After doing the above for a year or so I did some 2-3 minute cold plunges in the frozen lake and it was nbd, even enjoyable.

Seeknelk

WKR
Plunging your face under water right away actives something, anyway helps get the breathing under control.
Studies on cold therapy after weight training will reduce inflammation thus ALSO reducing hypertrophy or muscles gains so depending on your training and goals,the OPTIMAL time WHEN to ice bath varys.
Inflammation is required for certain recovery, but reducing it from long hikes and runs etc feels and seems awesome.
There is SOME research showing that heavy lifting right after cold therapy can have a major boost to test levels but that seems to be not very researched yet.
Huberman labs has a ton of data, videos etc in this vein.

OXN939

WKR
Thanks guys. Got the breathing figured out by basically starting with my lungs full. Once I’ve gotten shoulder deep in the water just focusing on slow exhales. Gotten now to where I’m doing 4 minutes daily and it’s going fantastic

Props for keeping this up to the point where it's becoming easier. Most people don't stick with it long enough to see that happen. There are a ton of very real benefits that are now pretty widely accepted within the medical community. Important to note that cold exposure is best avoided in the period immediately follow resistance training oriented towards hypertrophy.

I didn't take a warm shower from 2009 to 2013 in preparation for a former life I lived. It worked then, and I'm starting to incorporate it back in to my routine at least weekly now. The way it works your mind body connection is something very rarely experienced by participants in modern life.

Also started this winter and the biggest change I noticed was sleep quality, I watch it via my garmin watch and there was a substantial improvement. Cold tolerance has also improved, some evidence of fat loss, but the sleep benefit is far and away the most obvious benefit from my perspective.

Late to the party but I have some experience here that might be worth sharing.

This last fall, I bought a 14.8 cu Frigidaire chest freezer from Costco on sale, it has the controller to make it a refrigerator. Easy rationalizion for me as it will double as an elk aging refrigerator when successful or additional freezer space if needed.

I used the best silicone the local big box store had on the shelf and on hand Rv roofing tape to seal it.

Started daily dips for mental tempering and targeted 11 min per week as per the Huberman, ha ha. Spent 2 weeks to get from 40s to low 30s. Lots of ice in there makes you feel manly but quickly became an unnecessary hazard. Using the freezer to produce ice, it accumulates on the sides and can be sharp on the top. Beating it with a hammer is fun once.

I was mainly interested in two things.
1. mental health benefits.
2. Testosterone boosting

Did a blood draw Jan 1., total testosterone was 862.

90 days of cold exposures then tested again, 852 testosterone.

Although no testosterone benefits were found, I feel great and continue getting cold often.

It took some time to quantify what feels good and what changed. It’s totally subjective but I feel 10 years younger in terms of energy levels and mobility. My range of motion and fluidity in my joints improved significantly, especially shoulders. Maybe this is part of the anti inflammatory effects.

I don’t get cold after work outs as it can blunt the chemical signals from training. First thing in the morning or lunchtime if training later that day.
I take a few days off occasionally to reduce the cold adaptation.

Cold is kinda magic to me, big self regulating hammer, although sleep, real training and nutrition are more important to me.

OXN939

WKR
Also started this winter and the biggest change I noticed was sleep quality, I watch it via my garmin watch and there was a substantial improvement. Cold tolerance has also improved, some evidence of fat loss, but the sleep benefit is far and away the most obvious benefit from my perspective.

I have clinically diagnosed insomnia and notice the same. Great sleep after a few days of plungin

I have clinically diagnosed insomnia and notice the same. Great sleep after a few days of plungin
Does the timing of the plunge matter for your sleep quality? I have been using the cold plunge early morning and felt like it anchors the circadian rhythm like a morning run outside. I have been apprehensive about plunging late in the evening