Cold Plunges?

I did a quick search on here and didn’t find much discussion so I’m curious, does anyone do regular ice baths/cold water plunges?
I initially wanted to try it just to help with mental toughness and willpower but the more I read about it there seems to be a lot more benefits. From reduced inflammation to improved circulation and even improved fat burning.
I tried it for the first time this morning at 5:15am. It was 21° outside and I had to use my kids toy shovel to chop the thin layer of ice off the stock tank I set up in the back yard. I was calm, cool and collected when I sat down in the tank but my lung’s immediately went into panic mode of short, rapid breathing. I tried to slow my breath down but to no avail, probably had something to do with the immediate shock of the cold and having never done it before. My goal was 90 seconds and I believe I made it about 20 seconds before I got out and was immediately very very disappointed in myself.
I feel like I could have easily done 90 seconds or a few minutes if I could have gotten my breath under control. I’m gonna keep at it every morning, but does anyone have any tips to getting your breathing under control??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
khart_6882
I turn the shower to cold at the end.

It's an interesting thing to participate in.

I’ve been doing that for a while. Start it at luke warm and every few seconds turn it a little more to the cold until it’s as cold as it’ll go.

NB7

WKR
I started doing them a few months ago.
Keep it at because the more you do it the sooner your breathing control will improve. Then, as soon as you get your breath under control, the better you can handle time sitting in it. My first time or two I probably didn't regulate my breathing for 30-40 seconds. Now I can control it in about 10. Also, once you hit that 90 second mark, extended time comes easier. I try to hang out for about 5 mins now.
The feeling when you get out and for the next 5-10 minutes is a rush. I never get the "runner's high", but I would say it's akin to something like that. Feels great!

*Edit to add...I do mine in a bathtub with block ice (frozen water in milk jugs that I keep).
You're breaking ice in a stock tank outdoors at 21 degrees air temp, at 5:15 (in the dark?) ??!!
That's full viking! great job!

Last edited:
OP
khart_6882
Keep it at because the more you do it the sooner your breathing control will improve. Then, as soon as you get your breath under control, the better you can handle time sitting in it. My first time or two I probably didn't regulate my breathing for 30-40 seconds. Now I can control it in about 10. Also, once you hit that 90 second mark, extended time comes easier. I try to hang out for about 5 mins now.
The feeling when you get out and for the next 5-10 minutes is a rush. I never get the "runner's high", but I would say it's akin to something like that. Feels great!

*Edit to add...I do mine in a bathtub with block ice (frozen water in milk jugs that I keep).
You're breaking ice in a stock tank outdoors at 21 degrees air temp, at 5:15 (in the dark?) ??!!

Copy that.
Sounds like most things, just takes a few attempts to get it figured out. I’m definitely going to stick with it, looking forward to that feeling after getting out after a few minutes. I know when I get out of a cold shower I feel like a million bucks so ice water has gotta be even better.
Thanks for the intel!

Reactions: NB7

Loper

WKR
I’ve been thinking about cold plunges a good bit lately. However, I only know of one gym in my area that has one and the membership isn’t cheap.

I’d be interested to hear more about how you guys are creating the cold plunges. I live in a warmer climate and if I built one outside I think I’d have a very difficult time keeping the water cold.

im curious how many gallons of ice you use? i never thought of doing it that way, cause buying ice at the gas station gets expensive.

NB7

WKR
I use 4 to 6 old milk jugs, gallon size. *Disclaimer here though, the water isn't down in the low 30s, best I can get is the low 40s doing it this way. I crack the faucet open to only allow for cold water and let it run over the jugs as it fills, but the jugs begin floating after a bit. Takes about 25 minutes and the jugs are further cooling the water as it sits, like ice cubes in a drink. I'll normally start the water running at some point during a workout so it's ready when I'm done. I try to get in right after I'm done either lifting or rucking or cardio. Again, low 40s isn't as cold as low 30s, BUT it still feels dang cold to me!

Bluefish

WKR
In Colorado there were a few places that offered cold chambers. you go in and they cool the air with liquid nitrogen. Claims to promote healing.

Stickmark

FNG
First plunge is harder. 2nd and 3rd easier. I can make it a minute, not always placing wrists in.
I started again during Winter bow season. Went into mt pool, and at dusk. Could feel my body adjusting, life force if you will adapting. I am 57 in a few days. Btw.

Doctor acquaintance, a big researcher, swears by them. I have run across him with ear buds in , chilling in a cold stream. He says the cold plunge realigns the electrical currents. Or something like that...

Been doing them off and on, since high school. One time, I went into a slough, cold wind running over the MO River floodplain, and once I warmed, have never been truly cold since.

OP
khart_6882
One time, I went into a slough, cold wind running over the MO River floodplain, and once I warmed, have never been truly cold since.[/QUOTE]

This is something I’m also interested in. It doesn’t seem to matter what clothing I have on, I always get cold quick during a late October/November hunt if I’m not hiking. I’m hoping this will help to almost permanently acclimate the body to being cold and it not being a big deal.

Stickmark

FNG
I do think it seriously builds up the skins circulation. I noticed this bow season some increased cold tolerance.

I’ve done it a few times when @ hot springs in the winter and then jumped into the cold creek.

They “” say it’s great for the body.

I use 4 to 6 old milk jugs, gallon size. *Disclaimer here though, the water isn't down in the low 30s, best I can get is the low 40s doing it this way. I crack the faucet open to only allow for cold water and let it run over the jugs as it fills, but the jugs begin floating after a bit. Takes about 25 minutes and the jugs are further cooling the water as it sits, like ice cubes in a drink. I'll normally start the water running at some point during a workout so it's ready when I'm done. I try to get in right after I'm done either lifting or rucking or cardio. Again, low 40s isn't as cold as low 30s, BUT it still feels dang cold to me!
That makes me wonder if trying a bunch of smaller bottles like 20 oz. To get more surface area and just keep then in a box to freez and dump them in.
Edit: im an idiot, as long as the bottles dont explode i could probably buy a $4 case of water bottles to do that with

Reactions: NB7
Still water like in a tub is way easier than running water. Running water doesn't let you build up a thermo barrier. Just keep at it..like most things in life it takes practice.

OP
khart_6882
Well for what it’s worth I made another attempt this afternoon at it was much more successful. Water temp was 34.5°. Made it 90 seconds pretty easily, just really focused on long, powerful exhales to make sure I kept my breath. Even dunked my whole head under at the end of the 90 seconds. Gonna go for 3 minutes tomorrow morning.

I gotta say the energy levels after I got inside and dried off are unreal! I was strutting around the house feeling like I could do wind sprints straight up the western slope of the Rocky’s!

NB7

WKR
Well for what it’s worth I made another attempt this afternoon at it was much more successful. Water temp was 34.5°. Made it 90 seconds pretty easily, just really focused on long, powerful exhales to make sure I kept my breath. Even dunked my whole head under at the end of the 90 seconds. Gonna go for 3 minutes tomorrow morning.

I gotta say the energy levels after I got inside and dried off are unreal! I was strutting around the house feeling like I could do wind sprints straight up the western slope of the Rocky’s!
There you go, good for you! It took me till I think the 3rd or 4th time before I went head under water. I'm telling you if you can do 90 seconds you can do 4-5 minutes without much more effort. Good luck!

Still water like in a tub is way easier than running water. Running water doesn't let you build up a thermo barrier. Just keep at it..like most things in life it takes practice.
I've heard that too. I want to try that method, but don't really have any way of doing around here that I know oft except maybe finding a cold swift creek

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
What are the studies on doing this daily, long term, on things like lung, heart, kidneys, etc.

We used to ice bath our legs/ knees, and shoulder packs on ice as needed after hockey games. Trainers told us not to fill the ice bath higher than waist high so large internal organs weren’t in the ice bath.

madgrad02

WKR
Not so much water baths here, but lucky enough to have a sauna at the house we bought... get a good am workout in, go on the sauna for 20min or so, then it's directly outside into the Wisco winter air for what seems like a few minutes, though I'm sure it's WAY less than that (though with spring on the way, may have to look into cold shower more). It sucks for a bit, but get used to it and feel great once back in room temps