Coffee solutions camping/backpacking?

SwiftShot

WKR
I watched a coffee guy on YouTube rating coffees. Well he rated different backpacking coffee setups and the results. His recommendations for those that like cream and sugar was perfect for me. It is actually pretty good and pretty cheap. Screenshot_20230329-005850_Chrome.jpg

sargent

WKR
I like to heat about 20 ounces of water and add a Starbucks via and a Fat Fuel Keto coffee packet. It's pretty tasty, packs a pretty good caffeine punch (I usually drink 4-6 cups of black coffee every morning), and is an easy way to tack on 234 calories and 22 grams of fat to fuel your day.

Brew a bunch of cold brew concentrate. Yes its water weight to carry around, but just add hot water about 3:1. Its better than instant, cleaner because you're not dealing with grounds.

View attachment 531605
Mount Hagen is as close as we’ve gotten to the taste of regular coffee. Can be found at some grocery stores and online. It’s the only coffee we carry in the field anymore. Just too hard to beat the taste, and the little packets are smaller and cheaper than Via packets.

Last year at sheep camp, we had a sheep guide and a hunter walk into our camp. They had walked the mountains a long way and stopped for a respite. I made the guide a cup of this coffee and he was surprised how good it was. Wanted to know the brand for future hunts.
Just purchased this from Amazon after reading your recommendation. Was really good and will be my go to from now on in the field or on the mountain. Nothing like typical instant coffee. Thanks

Starbucks Via and The Trader Joes Instant coffee pack. Do one of each and you will have a tastey cup. I drink my coffee black normally but those two together a nice.

Folgers tea bag type coffee. Both decaffeinated and caffeinated. 24 bags lasts me ten days while remote and they all easily fit into a quart-size freezer Ziploc. Just add water.

madgrad02

WKR

I have brewed a couple cups with these at home breaking in the titanium cookware and stove. Work great and supposedly biodegradable. Can use your favorite coffee. Definitely made in China though if you prefer USA made (which I try to do) - get random gift cards from work and most stuff on Amazon is not made in USA 🥺

Last edited:
For travelling and in the field, I find that the combination of an Aeropress and MbK's Aergrind or Aerspeed manual grinder, which fits inside, is pretty unbeatable.

aergrind-made-by-knock-fit-with-aeropress-510x551.jpg

aergrindburrti-2-1280x853.jpg

These give excellent grind quality while running quick and smooth; it's a whole different world compared to the slow wobbly stuff like Porlex. I've run over ten kilos through my Aerspeed so far, and no issues. It's not even that much slower than my Lido 2 or 3, which are about three times the bulk, and is faster than the Comandante C40 I used to have.

Considering how compact the package is, it's bascially a perfect system for no-compromise backcountry coffee in my opinion.

I just suck it up and do instant in the backcountry. Camping we have done it all. We have an old percolator that makes great coffee, but used my stanley french press this year. That was a nice addition to the kit. Also have a pourover setup that I like as well that is super light albeit bulky and fragile for a pack.

Last weekend I had a couple packets of Frozen Bean brand caramel macchiato. It was really good and a nice change from bland instant powder.

If straight instant powder is what I've got, it's either Cafe Bustelo (yellow and red packaging) or the jar of Kroger/King Soopers Simple Truth.

UncleBone

WKR
I really like the kuju pour overs or the brcc bag, with a stick of the deathwish instant in there. Get some decent fresh coffee flavor from the fresh brew, and 300mg of caffeine from the deathwish. Basically, that 300mg will have you seeing Jesus if you only drink a cup or two regularly. But if you need to get jacked first thing like me, it is perfect.

Even an a self professed coffee snob, I see two applications here.

If I have a generator, I'll just pack the Jura. Lol.

Camping with pals around the fire, I'll break out the percolator for nostalgia. French press if the wife is along.

For living out of a pack, instant is dang hard to beat when all I need is hot, caffeinated, and fast. Plus there's no cleanup and minimal trash. Have used Via and the black rifle singles. Two in a 12oz cup is just right. Am thinking loose instant in a quart ziploc will be even easier.

UncleBone

WKR
Even an a self professed coffee snob, I see two applications here.

If I have a generator, I'll just pack the Jura. Lol.

Camping with pals around the fire, I'll break out the percolator for nostalgia. French press if the wife is along.

For living out of a pack, instant is dang hard to beat when all I need is hot, caffeinated, and fast. Plus there's no cleanup and minimal trash. Have used Via and the black rifle singles. Two in a 12oz cup is just right.
try the deathwish sometime. Its as strong as 2 in 1.

Just purchased this from Amazon after reading your recommendation. Was really good and will be my go to from now on in the field or on the mountain. Nothing like typical instant coffee. Thanks
Also agree. I had mount Hagen recently and it was pretty dang good compared to typical instant coffee

+1 on the Aeropress! I even use it at home most days, makes a great tasting cup 🤙🏾
For sure. It's my favourite brew method overall, and tends to more consistent than any other single-cup method — e.g. manual pourover, French press, vac pot...

The extra body from Aeropress extraction also suits most beans pretty nicely.

def90

WKR
photo+2+(9).JPG