CO point holders: how have you changed your draw strategy?

@Hnthrdr I've been along on a number of hunts that cost a pile of points, and ended up harvesting average animals. It's made me really think hard about my expectations for this elk hunt whenever I cash in. I'm training my brain already - Hunt hard and don't shoot anything below 300" in the first few days. But remember that it's worth it regardless of the outcome. Being in the mountains, chasing elk with my bow, time with good friends. That alone is worth the 9 points, even if I settle for a raghorn near the end of the hunt.

cnelk

WKR
Im using up my 4 elk pps this year.
I gather them until I can use them on a unit I want to hunt.

Then, depending on the new BGSS that comes out next year, I'll decide what Ill do in the future

wildcat33

WKR
I gave up collecting points years ago and glad that I did. I would rather hunt limited low-point units that OTC on a semi regular basis.

Deer on the other hand I have 10ppt and no idea what to do with them.

Hnthrdr

WKR
@Hnthrdr I've been along on a number of hunts that cost a pile of points, and ended up harvesting average animals. It's made me really think hard about my expectations for this elk hunt whenever I cash in. I'm training my brain already - Hunt hard and don't shoot anything below 300" in the first few days. But remember that it's worth it regardless of the outcome. Being in the mountains, chasing elk with my bow, time with good friends. That alone is worth the 9 points, even if I settle for a raghorn near the end of the hunt.
Yes sir, all true, I think some times the wait and points over inflate our expectations, but really always good to be out there chasing them

I'm still hunting the same Colorado unit I have been since 2003, just not as often as I used to due to point creep.

If/when Colorado makes significant changes, the changes are unlikely to benefit NR's. The chatter in recent years has been largely focused on reducing NR tag allocations. As a NR, 7 points may be worth more now than 10 points will be 3 years in the future.
I doubt it. Had 7 last year and the unit i was hoping to draw was a 4 point unit when I drew it in ‘14 and a short time before that a friend drew it every other year with a point or 2. Now I doubt I’ll ever draw it again.

Now I'm waiting for the Game Unit creep to catch up to my points from recently otc turned draw units

Last edited:
I have 3-4 more years of points before I can look at drawing my first true limited tag in CO. Once that’s done I’m hoping I’ll be able to move to another state and get out of the rat race that CPW has made CO out to be. The immense hunting pressure and wolves has made me very bitter about long term hunting here.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I have 3-4 more years of points before I can look at drawing my first true limited tag in CO. Once that’s done I’m hoping I’ll be able to move to another state and get out of the rat race that CPW has made CO out to be. The immense hunting pressure and wolves has made me very bitter about long term hunting here.
Good luck, hope that unit doesn’t creep on ya too much while you are waiting….

I cashed 9 deer points this year. Fun hunt. Shot a buck but wasn't worth 9. We have an elk unit that is ok and usually just costs a couple of points. We did a 7pt unit a few years ago that was only 2 or 3 when we decided to hunt it. It was fun but no better than what we normally hunt.

Wapiti1

WKR
Same plan. Get enough points to hunt the unit/season I want and go hunt. CO is for opportunity for me. I've had several really fun low point hunts there and don't expect that to change.

Jeremy

Hnthrdr

WKR
Yep you are right about to be some big changes on the horizon… issue will be when residents start losing low tier options to point creep, there will be more gripes to be had… we continue to squeeze the resource more and more

chindits

WKR
I burned all my moose points last September. Although I stopped putting in for points the year they started making us pay for them.

With the wolf reintro I was like why turn it back in even if it is for a tough eating bull🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Never again, tough enough man packing elk.

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
If your from MT I would not waste your time in Colorado on any hunt that takes 7 points. Regular season in MT is 10x better than anything close in CO.

Burn them. The last two years I hunted two units between myself and family that were in the 4-6 pt range and had fun hunts. Not sure if your looking rifle or archery tho.

HoytHntr4

WKR
I’m in the same boat with 7 NR points. Haven’t really been trying to build CO elk points, just have had other hunts the last few years so I haven’t applied. Trying to figure out the best archery unit to use them on now. A lot of options in the 2-5 range that I’ll be looking into

OP
el_jefe_pescado

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good feedback here.

My wife and I met, got married, and had our first born in the Steamboat area. I have a lot of fond memories in that country and we still have a lot of family in the state. But as others have stated the opportunities in CO simply do not compare to what can be had with an MT general tag. That’s not lost on me and I feel very fortunate that we got the opportunity to move up here.

My desire to get rid of my CO points is mostly based on the hope that OTC (and point banking) gets eliminated in ‘25. Like others have said, I’m really starting to think that I’d rather hunt a lower tier CO unit every couple years (or not at all) with some buddies/family and shoot rags then wait 9-15 years to hunt an “upper tier” unit (that my father in law used to hunt with 2 points)…and still shoot rags.

I always prefer to hunt archery but I’m thinking now that a more realistic plan will be to dig up a 2nd rifle tag somewhere and give’r hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bet if they would implement point sharing/averaging it would clear out a bunch of points. Pretty sure Wyoming and Arizona allow the averaging of points amongst people apply as a group.

As far as the OP, I used my Res 13pp in 2022 and my Sister used her 12pp in 2023. We both hunted the same unit. We both killed 300" bulls. I wanted to use our points before all the top point holders start using their points in "lesser units" due to wolves. It's going to happen and point creep is going to be ugly. It'll eventually level out but who knows when that might be and when it does the herds might be decimated by then.

I doubt there will be any moose by the time I actually draw a tag.