CO Mule Deer Secondary/Leftover Draw Q’s

Hey y’all new-ish muley hunter here. Opted to just put in for a point during the primary draw in CO this year because I was in for what I thought were some fairly high odds tags in NM. Struck out there so now on to plan B and C. What do y’all think the secondary draw and leftover situation will look like in CO this year? I noticed most of the tags on last years list looked to be in the NW part of the state where they’ve had bad winter kill. Should I just abandon all hope or is there a chance there could still be some tags to be had? I don’t need to kill a booner. Would just like a shot at a decent public land rifle hunt.

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
Secondary draw is essentially a youth draw. They will look at every resident and NR youth application before they look at an adult application. They’re cutting a lot of tags in the NW region so I’d look elsewhere. I’m a resident and don’t have much optimism on getting a deer tag this year

Bearsears

WKR
Secondary draw is essentially a youth draw. They will look at every resident and NR youth application before they look at an adult application. They’re cutting a lot of tags in the NW region so I’d look elsewhere. I’m a resident and don’t have much optimism on getting a deer tag this year
This👆. Im a resident also and Im not expecting much this year. Colorado is going to get rough between this winter kill and Wolf releases starting.

Carr5vols

WKR
Question where did you find last years list? I have been looking everywhere for it...

There will be some decent to poor tags pop up but remember there are good mule deer in every unit you just have to find them...

Hnthrdr

WKR
You can give it a shot, but not too be cynical, but it’s threads like this that have ruined 2nd draw and left over odds, used to be a little more hidden knowledge, but everyone and I mean everyone knows about them.

Here is the thing 2nd draw is a waste for adults on anything half way decent. As far as left overs go, I’m a resident, pretty tuned into the draws and leftover game and since they switched the 1 a week release I have gotten a total of 1 tag, previously I was averaging about 1 tag a year and went to 1 tag in 3 years, so good luck.

OP
Flatlander23
Question where did you find last years list? I have been looking everywhere for it...

There will be some decent to poor tags pop up but remember there are good mule deer in every unit you just have to find them...
I got it from GoHunt. Insider is awesome. I think it’s available through cpw but takes some digging to find. I can try to pm you the pdf if you’d like

OP
Flatlander23
You can give it a shot, but not too be cynical, but it’s threads like this that have ruined 2nd draw and left over odds, used to be a little more hidden knowledge, but everyone and I mean everyone knows about them.

Here is the thing 2nd draw is a waste for adults on anything half way decent. As far as left overs go, I’m a resident, pretty tuned into the draws and leftover game and since they switched the 1 a week release I have gotten a total of 1 tag, previously I was averaging about 1 tag a year and went to 1 tag in 3 years, so good luck.
That’s what I was thinking. Thanks for confirming. Y’all can always come chase deer down here. Our wildlife dept likes to sale cheap tags otc through Walmart for only about $100 more than they are for residents

Hnthrdr

WKR
That’s what I was thinking. Thanks for confirming. Y’all can always come chase deer down here. Our wildlife dept likes to sale cheap tags otc through Walmart for only about $100 more than they are for residents
i appreciate the offer and it might not be too long before we are doing that, our poor deer herds in Co and much of the west are really hurting, for a lot of different reasons. I might have to start figuring out this whitetail stuff.

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate this thread! To the fella saying threads like this are why 2nd draw is no good, bummer I guess. Probably just means more children are getting the tags instead of adults. Suppose we can’t really complain

Hnthrdr

WKR
I don’t mind some youth preference, but I will stand by it should be Resident youth, and I think 50% of the tags in every 2nd draw unit should be set aside for youth, not 100% preference youth have a ton of extras in Co like being able to continue to hunt on un-filled tags ect. Or don’t accept adult applicants until you deal the youth out. Mighty sketchy to take a bunch of money from people when they have a 0% chance of drawing…

Hnthrdr

WKR
Everyone's first muley should be a forked horn (2×2) regardless of how old you are. So grab any tag you can and get it done.
I will respectfully disagree, shoot what makes you happy, but why would you waste your time and money to come shoot a 1.5 year old deer?

I will respectfully disagree, shoot what makes you happy, but why would you waste your time and money to come shoot a 1.5 year old deer?
My comment was in regard to the OP saying "I don't need to kill a booner". Guess what? I'd say 95% of hunters don't kill booners. I'd say 75% are under 140".

Hnthrdr

WKR
My comment was in regard to the OP saying "I don't need to kill a booner". Guess what? I'd say 95% of hunters don't kill booners. I'd say 75% are under 140".
I agree, honestly after the last 3 years the amount of booners in Co has dropped substantially. When the best deer coming out of Gunnison Basin are some 4 year old 150” bucks Co is not mule deer king anymore. I should be helping a friend who has never killed a mule deer on a decent 4th rifle tag this year and I refuse to let him shoot a non mature deer. It’s better to eat your tag than shoot some spindly 2/3 year old on the last day for “pics for the gram”

Ucsdryder

WKR
Hey y’all new-ish muley hunter here. Opted to just put in for a point during the primary draw in CO this year because I was in for what I thought were some fairly high odds tags in NM. Struck out there so now on to plan B and C. What do y’all think the secondary draw and leftover situation will look like in CO this year? I noticed most of the tags on last years list looked to be in the NW part of the state where they’ve had bad winter kill. Should I just abandon all hope or is there a chance there could still be some tags to be had? I don’t need to kill a booner. Would just like a shot at a decent public land rifle hunt.
Glad you don’t need to kill a booner. Your chances now of killing a forky are probably almost as low now! Secondary, good luck. Leftover…ha!

OP
Flatlander23
Everyone's first muley should be a forked horn (2×2) regardless of how old you are. So grab any tag you can and get it done.
I’ve killed mature mule deer bucks in my home state but it hasn’t been in what I would consider a true western hunting situation. What I meant by the “I don’t need to kill a booner” statement was just that I didn’t need to be in the holiest hard to draw unit there is. I’d just be happy with the opportunity to take a mature animal representative of its area.

To those that think this thread is somehow outing the fact that there are other options aside from the primary draw, I think a post on a forum where most people are already doing their own research is the least of your worries next to all of the huge platforms out there offering the information.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful feedback