CO Mule Deer Secondary/Leftover Draw Q’s

Question where did you find last years list? I have been looking everywhere for it...

There will be some decent to poor tags pop up but remember there are good mule deer in every unit you just have to find them...
Go look on Gohunt if your a subscriber.
They Have each year archived!

UncleBone

WKR
I don’t mind some youth preference, but I will stand by it should be Resident youth, and I think 50% of the tags in every 2nd draw unit should be set aside for youth, not 100% preference youth have a ton of extras in Co like being able to continue to hunt on un-filled tags ect. Or don’t accept adult applicants until you deal the youth out. Mighty sketchy to take a bunch of money from people when they have a 0% chance of drawing…
Yep, all well said, if theyre that excited about youth hunters, just allocate them more tags. I also think leftovers should go on sale for R 3 days before NR too.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Yep, all well said, if theyre that excited about youth hunters, just allocate them more tags. I also think leftovers should go on sale for R 3 days before NR too.
Youth actually get very little preference in Colorado. I was surprised. Extending a doe season isn’t much of a preference in my opinion.

Completely agree on the turn back and leftover tags. The fact that it’s a free for all is just another example of how Colorado had it ass backwards.

BigLou

FNG
I've been trying to work the Leftover draw for years and always strike out....glad to know now they are all going to youth...

squirrel

WKR
Few years ago you would have been hoping to see the left. Now you are looking for the one on the right... if you are real lucky he may have a brow tine.

Attachments

• DD69E3F3-A8C1-4E13-BD93-47860DC732C9.jpeg
    DD69E3F3-A8C1-4E13-BD93-47860DC732C9.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 57

Overdrive

WKR
The leftover draw was great before they made it go public. Back when you had to choose it as an option if you were unsuccessful in the primary drawing. Now that it's public knowledge it just isn't worth it.

You being an NR, I wouldn't waste time and $ on the secondary draw. All the decent leftovers are gobbled up by resident youth. Plus big winter kill in NW CO and 40% tag reductions in some units.

Elk situation not nearly as bad. These animals are big and hardy and handle tough winters better.

There's always 2024.

Last edited:

intunegp

WKR
You being an NR, I wouldn't waste time and $ on the secondary draw. All the decent leftovers are gobbled up by resident youth. Plus big winter kill in NW CO and 40% tag reductions in some units.

Elk situation not nearly as bad. These animals are big and hardy and handle tough winters better.

There's always 2024.

From CPW's press release last week:

In an area known for some of the largest elk herds in the nation, severe winter conditions have resulted in high elk calf and above-average cow mortality. Survival rates are the lowest CPW has ever documented and below what CPW previously thought possible in elk.

While mule deer have fared somewhat better than elk and pronghorn, the combination of severe winter conditions and high prevalence of chronic wasting disease has affected the resiliency of this population.

Not saying any of it is good, but based upon all the publicity from CPW it sounds like the elk situation is worse than the deer. They shortened the season for several OTC rifle units and many limited cow tags have been reduced to 10 tags per hunt code.

Carr5vols

WKR
Just conspiracy theroizing here but CPW could use this bad winter to lower everything to make it look like winter kill off was bad and in reality its been poor mismanagement of herd numbers over the past few years...i do think this winter hurt but they will make it look much worse to fix the past issue...agains just conspiracy theorizing...

Dirtbag

WKR
Just conspiracy theroizing here but CPW could use this bad winter to lower everything to make it look like winter kill off was bad and in reality its been poor mismanagement of herd numbers over the past few years...i do think this winter hurt but they will make it look much worse to fix the past issue...agains just conspiracy theorizing...
Years of drought leading up to a tough winter. The animals did not have it easy.

T3ninja

FNG
Is there any word on what tags are leftover for the “first come first serve” on 8/1?

T3ninja

FNG
So from my understanding, leftover tags go on sale 8/1, But the list of available tags isn’t available until the 8th? I understand the whole system is government operated, so there is no surprise from me I just want to make sure I’m understanding it correctly..

So from my understanding, leftover tags go on sale 8/1, But the list of available tags isn’t available until the 8th? I understand the whole system is government operated, so there is no surprise from me I just want to make sure I’m understanding it correctly..

Thats right. According to the CPW, it's going to be a shot in the dark!

May the odds forever be in your favor.