CO Elk Gear List 2019

LaHunter

WKR
Pad and a good down sleeping bag is all you need for "sleep system. I backpack around griz all summer and never carry a gun, just bear spray. If you know how to handle those situations your fine especially with just black bears. So just figure out how to handle yourself around them and get some spray and leave the guns at home. There has been like 2 people out of millions recreating in the mountains attacked by cats so relax. Someone that has not idea surrounding the situational aspects of a bear in counter has no need for a gun as shown by the guide killed in WY this year who was carrying a gun and killed. Obviously not to say he didn't know that or how to use the gun just a general warning and information for people. Your talking about CO which has had 1 cat attack that I know of... Maybe people can chime in with more but I doubt it.. So beside leaving the gun at home you have to many layers, hunt, sleep and live in all you layers and it saves you a lot of space.

To be accurate, the guide that lost his life in WY was not carrying the pistol at the time of the attack, based on the report from the investigation. The pistol was in a pack that was several yards away from the guide when the bear attacked.

btplass

Lil-Rokslider
I think it's the perfect time to be planning your gear list, lots if time to contemplate.

3 pairs of extra socks seems like a lot to me, 2-3 pairs of darn tough merino socks should be plenty. You can wash them in a creek and let them dry hanging off of your pack during the day.

Good luck with the hunt, and have fun!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mwebs

WKR
To be accurate, the guide that lost his life in WY was not carrying the pistol at the time of the attack, based on the report from the investigation. The pistol was in a pack that was several yards away from the guide when the bear attacked.

One of the hunters actually had a gun out but couldn't/ didn't know how to use it and threw it to the guide. But yes your point is valid, probably a different outcome if gun was handy and hunters knew how to fire them. Lots of back and forth on spray vs gun, since the context of the post was CO I don't see the point of a gun if your worried about weight.

nursul

FNG
Pad and a good down sleeping bag is all you need for "sleep system. I backpack around griz all summer and never carry a gun, just bear spray. If you know how to handle those situations your fine especially with just black bears. So just figure out how to handle yourself around them and get some spray and leave the guns at home. There has been like 2 people out of millions recreating in the mountains attacked by cats so relax. Someone that has not idea surrounding the situational aspects of a bear in counter has no need for a gun as shown by the guide killed in WY this year who was carrying a gun and killed. Obviously not to say he didn't know that or how to use the gun just a general warning and information for people. Your talking about CO which has had 1 cat attack that I know of... Maybe people can chime in with more but I doubt it.. So beside leaving the gun at home you have to many layers, hunt, sleep and live in all you layers and it saves you a lot of space.
Carry what gives you peace of mind and comfort.

New to backcountry hunting! Thanks to everyone who chimed in. Great information and made me realize I don't need as much clothing.

sneaky

"DADDY"
One of the hunters actually had a gun out but couldn't/ didn't know how to use it and threw it to the guide. But yes your point is valid, probably a different outcome if gun was handy and hunters knew how to fire them. Lots of back and forth on spray vs gun, since the context of the post was CO I don't see the point of a gun if your worried about weight.
Your reading comprehension needs some work. The hunter did not have weapon, the guide threw his weapon to him. The hunter freaked out, threw the weapon after ejecting the magazine, and ran like a little bitch all the way back to Florida before they ever found the guide's body. There have been more than 2 cat attacks just in recent memory, and you don't even have to be in the backcountry to have to worry about them. The person who was killed last year in Washington comes to mind right off, as well as two cat attacks on runners in the past couple of months. Great that you believe in bear spray. Most times the wind is in my face when I'm hunting, would most likely be the case if I encounter a bear. I'll take a gun over a face full of pepper spray any day.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mwebs

WKR
Your reading comprehension needs some work. The hunter did not have weapon, the guide threw his weapon to him. The hunter freaked out, threw the weapon after ejecting the magazine, and ran like a little bitch all the way back to Florida before they ever found the guide's body. There have been more than 2 cat attacks just in recent memory, and you don't even have to be in the backcountry to have to worry about them. The person who was killed last year in Washington comes to mind right off, as well as two cat attacks on runners in the past couple of months. Great that you believe in bear spray. Most times the wind is in my face when I'm hunting, would most likely be the case if I encounter a bear. I'll take a gun over a face full of pepper spray any day.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Here are the facts: https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/environmental/article_c17c97cb-c2f0-5476-aa08-17301f75343d.html I never said it was the hunter's gun just that he had it and threw it to the guide, which is true. Anyways I won't personally attack your reading comprehension, take what you feel comfortable with using and none of it works if its not on you.

OP
S

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
Last September
hunted 6 days
rain/sleeted 3 days
15-25 degrees at night
called a mountain lion to 10 feet on opening day
saw bear scat every 25 yards but did see a bear, but had them in camp at night
My point is..... Rain gear, extra warm sleep system, Garmin inreach, and a gun will always go with me to the back country. I will happily shed an extra few pounds from my person or my pack to ensure I have them.
Definitely have heard multiple stories of guys cow calling and then having mountain lions stalk up on them. One guy even shot one in the face as it lunged at him last year I think in CO. Going to bring the rain gear and carry no matter what everyone says just for the peace of mind aspect.

Jblack86

FNG
I was cow calling and when i stood and yelled at the cat, i drew my bow. When the nock hit my face all i could see of the cat was its tail. Even if i wanted to used my bow or my gun i would not have been able to, but i had to walk through that area everyday and the peace of mind of having the pistol was good.

Scoot

WKR
Short answer- too many clothes, food/water weighs a lot more than you give it credit for, bring rain gear (no gaiters though- usually), bag is overkill, you're 100+ times more likely to die in a car accident getting to or from your hunt than from a cat attacking you- leave the pistol at home.

Good luck and have fun!

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
If a pistol makes you feel better, or if you think it will, bring it. I always bring mine because it makes me feel slightly more at ease. Lots of times I’m by myself, and I’ve seen some creepy people back there. Walking right through camp in the dark and everything. I wouldn’t be paranoid, but if it’s a comfort thing it’s worth it.

Also, somewhere I thought I saw someone say don’t bring a puffy jacket. I lost the post and don’t have time to look for it now, but bring a puffy jacket. Always bring a puffy jacket. And always bring a rain jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ljalberta

WKR
Inreach's are incredible and worth the money to me. Keeps my wife sleeping well at night and gives me a chance to send messages to friends out in the woods as well. If it's worth is is up to you and how much you would use it. For GPS use, I use my iPhone and GAIA app. I find it much better.

If I had your kit going in, I would leave behind the extra blanket. For clothing this basic run down works for me in early season Alberta for anywhere from 3-14 day hunts:

To Wear:
1 Base layer shirt
1 Pants
1 Underwear
1 Pair of Socks
1 Ball Cap
1 Set of Gaiters

To Bring:
1 Spare base layer shirt
1 Underwear
1 Pair of Socks
1 of either the puffy pants or the long underwear
1 Puffy Jacket
1 Rain Jacket
1 Touque
1 Set of Gloves

Optional: depending on my mood, hunting type, and the forecast
Rain Pants
Neck Buff
Fleece

OP
S

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
If a pistol makes you feel better, or if you think it will, bring it. I always bring mine because it makes me feel slightly more at ease. Lots of times I’m by myself, and I’ve seen some creepy people back there. Walking right through camp in the dark and everything. I wouldn’t be paranoid, but if it’s a comfort thing it’s worth it.

Also, somewhere I thought I saw someone say don’t bring a puffy jacket. I lost the post and don’t have time to look for it now, but bring a puffy jacket. Always bring a puffy jacket. And always bring a rain jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mostly carry for the 2 legged predators out there anyway and I think bringing the puffy jacket, cutting out some midlayers and leaving the puffy pants at home seems like the route I am going to go.

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on the part of Colorado you hunt and the style of hunting you plan on doing a spotting scope is useless.Ive found that in the parts of Colorado I've been in even binoculars are not worth the weight as most of the mountains are covered in dark timber.early September Its close to freezing in the morning but hunting with a t shirt is fine most days.By the end of September it will be snowing some years.I wouldn't take a gun,if you need protection take bear spray but I've found that you're more likely to get charged by a moose than anything else

If you are interested in reducing the amount of shit you’re carrying up and down the mountains, I would leave the peace at home. Although I have no statistics on hand to back it up, I would venture to guess that you are more likely to shoot yourself with the handgun than be attacked by a mountain lion. And if you do get attacked either A) you won’t see it coming so the gun won’t help, or B) you go the route of the runner, choke it out, and have a badass story to tell the rest of your life.

But, At the end of the day though it’s what you’re more comfortable with.
Or carry a lightweight "piece." The 380 you have is better than the .45 you left at home.

OP
S

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
So now that I am back from my trip we learned a lot and had a great experience. We hunted the north end of Unit 18 in the Indian Peaks Wilderness Area and hiked in 3.5 miles to set up camp. Here is my system I ended up going with (thanks to several Roksliders I was able to get some great deals) and what I would change next year:
Wearing in:
-First Lite Wick SS
-Sitka Lightweight Core LS
-SKRE Hardscrabble Pants
-Darn Tough Merino Socks
- Merrell Trail Runners
-trekking poles
- Bino Harness

In pack:
- Kuiu zip off bottoms
- Kuiu Peloton 97
- Sixsite Gunnison Softshell
- Pnuma Insulating Vest
- Kill Kit (bags and knives)
-extra merino briefs and 1 pair of Merino Socks
- Kuiu Teton rain jacket
- Water Bladder
- Food
- Jet Boil and fuel
- .38 Special (water bottle holder)
-tent
-sleep system
- Crocs
- Head lamp and Miscellaneous extra batteries, gear ties, paracord, zip ties, book to read, fire starter

I grossly underestimated the weight of my food and water. I made my own trail mix and filled full quart bags and rationed for each day. These bags alone probably weighed 5 pounds together and I didn't even finish one bag a day. I will not make that mistake again. I will also be changing boots/ wearing gaiters next year. Got caught in an absolute downpour 2 hours into our hike in and my socks and boots were not dry for the next 3 days. I kept swapping socks out trying to get the other pair to dry but it was overcast and cooler the next 2 days so it took a while to dry my feet out. Definitely glad I had the Crocs with me to be able to air my feet out though. I thought my clothing system was perfect but I will eliminate the vest next year as I didn't wear it except at camp. I was able to add and shed layers and can honestly say I was comfortable from the mid 30's up to the low 70s. We did not see a single elk and only heard one bugle but we saw lots of mule deer and witnessed the full on moose rut with 3 bulls coming into the same meadow and sparring with each other on our last morning. I can't wait to go out West again and have that nagging, aching feeling of wondering what was over that last ridge we didn't go over. Good luck to everyone this season and thank you for everyone's input.