CO Elk Gear List 2019

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, long time lurker on here. Going to Colorado for an OTC archery tag the first full week of September. First elk hunt but not our first back country experience. Here is a list of what I have so far:
On person (wearing in):
  • Top- Merino base layer First Lite Llano
  • Sitka Core Lightweight Hoodie
  • First Lite Corrugate Guide Jacket?
  • Black Ovis merino briefs
  • Merino Socks (Darn Tough)
  • Pants- Wrangler Outdoor- cargo side pockets- gloves, facepaint
  • Ball cap
  • Shoes- Merrell hiking boots w/ gaiters
  • Bino Harness- Wind puffer and range finder

Pack (Alps Commander Extreme):
Top lid: Jet boil w/ fuel cannister, First aid kit (assorted bandages, scissors, suture kit, alcohol wipes, ibuprofen, antacids, super glue, *need Daimox or Gingko for altitude sickness, Leucotape), Extra AA batteries for headlamp, Multitool
Small exterior pack: Sawyer Squeeze mini, headlamp, kill kit (game bags and knife, butcher gloves), Tag, zip ties, paracord, TP (cellulose tablets x2)
Belt pouches: compass, GPS (renting Garmin InReach?) flint block, camera, holster on hip belt (.38 special or .45)
Side Spotting Scope pocket: Portable charger, fire starter (cotton in Vaseline again), matches, lighter
Bino Harness- Binoculars and windicator, elk diaphragms
Lower Compartment- sleeping bag, pillow case, Klymit V sleeping pad, extra blanket
Main Compartment (Bottom to Top): True Timber packable down pants, Kuiu zip off base layer, Kuiu Teton insulating jacket, Kuiu Peloton 97 hoodie, extra socks x3, collapsible bowl, collapsible coffee cup, Dry bag with food, camp soap, book, Kuiu Teton rain jacket, beanie, small tarp, water bladder in pouch
-Nalgene in water bottle holder, Dirty water bottle in other or High stream trekking poles on the other side or lashed to side of pack. Tent lashed underneath pack. Crocs on carabiners to pack.

Biggest question marks right now are my outer layers. Should I just eliminate the rain jacket and wear the Corrugate jacket or visa versa? Only been to Colorado during the summer so not sure about the weather in September. Also, is the Garmin Inreach worth the price? Not sure if we should just buy one or rent one. Thanks for any input.

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion way to many clothes. First week of September base layer and Core Hoodie with lightweight pant will be warm enough 90% of the time unless you sit a lot, carry an insulating layer like a micro puffy for those times when sitting longer periods or back at camp. You will die of heat stroke wearing three layers hiking in even at the coldest part of the morning in September. I would plan on hiking in with a t-shirt of some sort or maybe a baselayer. I would ditch the guide jacket, the puffy pants, the baselayer bottoms, the peloton and beanie.

If packing in and coming from out of town where you only get a week to hunt I would keep the rain jacket so I could stay out hunting if weather is not ideal, but ditch the guide jacket. It is very common to get 1-3 hours of rain in the afternoons or evenings.

OP
S

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion way to many clothes. First week of September base layer and Core Hoodie with lightweight pant will be warm enough 90% of the time unless you sit a lot, carry an insulating layer like a micro puffy for those times when sitting longer periods or back at camp. You will die of heat stroke wearing three layers hiking in even at the coldest part of the morning in September. I would plan on hiking in with a t-shirt of some sort or maybe a baselayer. I would ditch the guide jacket, the puffy pants, the baselayer bottoms, the peloton and beanie.

If packing in and coming from out of town where you only get a week to hunt I would keep the rain jacket so I could stay out hunting if weather is not ideal, but ditch the guide jacket. It is very common to get 1-3 hours of rain in the afternoons or evenings.

Thanks that's exactly the advice I was looking for I just wasn't sure how cold it gets that time of year. Seems like that would lighten my load quite a bit then. I will probably still bring the rain jacket and maybe ditch the puffy pants for rain pants instead that could act as windbreaker if needed.

The Inreach is definitely worth the money in my opinion. One of the best purchases I've made for peace of mind and its nice to be able to get weather updates while off grid. (I hunt solo alot)

Depending where you are and what elevation will certainly affect temperature but you can usually expect summer-ish type warm days and cool nights in early september. When the sun hides the warmth goes with it. Rain is hit or miss. Normally if it rains it won't rain all day and I've gone weeks with no rain at all but on the same note Colorado can be a bit crazy and its not uncommon to encountered sun, rain, snow and hail all in a short time span. I usually carry/wear a base and mid layer and will bring a puffy for insulation and then a light rain jacket as an outer shell if needed. If the weather looks bad heading in I might add in my rain pants or a light tarp I can quick pitch to wait out a storm.
I personally also like to pack some gaiters in case the grass/ground is wet in the mornings so I dont end up with soaked pants.

I would also suggest leaving the puffy pants and packing an extra pair of socks and underwear. It's real nice to be able to wash and swap those out every day or every other day.

Feare

FNG
Rain jacket yes. Gaiters yes. I had a good rain coat when I was there buddies did not and they were miserable wet in their coats. I didn’t have gaiters and I wish I did my pants got soaked with the wet vegetation, but would dry pretty quick but it would have been nice to stay dry without the weight. Also agree with the above about limiting some of the clothes. In reach is on my purchase list to keep my family up to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the input guys the InReach would be nice if I can just replace my cell phone all together with that on the trip. Can you use OnX with the InReach?

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I

I don’t think I want to have to wrestle a mountain lion like that one runner just had to do so I’ll throw lead at it instead.
I understand but I'd feel more comfortable with a 357 or 44 mag

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
I dont mean any offense to this, but the suture kit might be a tad over the top. I've heard from people on here that you might be doing more damage closing up a wound than good unless you really know what you're doing plus super glue can work pretty good. But I'm also not a doc and dont know anything about it other than to stop bleeding and keep the wound clean (might be locking in bacteria by closing the wound). Also I do agree with too much clothes. All I bring for sept is a first lite aerowool t shirt, 250gr kiln, uncompaghre puffy, guide pants. One extra pair of socks and one extra set of underoos

ChrisAU

WKR
I dont mean any offense to this, but the suture kit might be a tad over the top. I've heard from people on here that you might be doing more damage closing up a wound than good unless you really know what you're doing plus super glue can work pretty good. But I'm also not a doc and dont know anything about it other than to stop bleeding and keep the wound clean (might be locking in bacteria by closing the wound). Also I do agree with too much clothes. All I bring for sept is a first lite aerowool t shirt, 250gr kiln, uncompaghre puffy, guide pants. One extra pair of socks and one extra set of underoos

I'd agree with that, but as first timers last year we didn't know. And we used the crap out of them repairing one of my buddies pants haha

@fulldraw

FNG
I

I don’t think I want to have to wrestle a mountain lion like that one runner just had to do so I’ll throw lead at it instead.

If you are interested in reducing the amount of shit you’re carrying up and down the mountains, I would leave the peace at home. Although I have no statistics on hand to back it up, I would venture to guess that you are more likely to shoot yourself with the handgun than be attacked by a mountain lion. And if you do get attacked either A) you won’t see it coming so the gun won’t help, or B) you go the route of the runner, choke it out, and have a badass story to tell the rest of your life.

But, At the end of the day though it’s what you’re more comfortable with.

OP
S

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
I'd agree with that, but as first timers last year we didn't know. And we used the crap out of them repairing one of my buddies pants haha

I figured we could use the sutures as a sewing kit if needed for situations like this.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can you elaborate on the sleep system? What model, rating and condition is the bag? Extra blanket, you mean a liner or literally blanket? Is the pad insulated? To me this could be simplified and if you are concerned with being warm enough I would bring the puffy pants and leave the blanket.

OP
S

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
Can you elaborate on the sleep system? What model, rating and condition is the bag? Extra blanket, you mean a liner or literally blanket? Is the pad insulated? To me this could be simplified and if you are concerned with being warm enough I would bring the puffy pants and leave the blanket.
Using a Paria 0 degree down sleeping bag with an uninsulated Klymit V sleeping pad. The blanket is basically just a liner that I use underneath my pad so its very small and light. Right now its looking like I will be leaving the puffy in the truck from what everyone's been telling me.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
Using a Paria 0 degree down sleeping bag with an uninsulated Klymit V sleeping pad. The blanket is basically just a liner that I use underneath my pad so its very small and light. Right now its looking like I will be leaving the puffy in the truck from what everyone's been telling me.
I would leave the blanket too unless you sleep very cold. I get warm with a 20* bag and uninsulated pad.

mwebs

WKR
Pad and a good down sleeping bag is all you need for "sleep system. I backpack around griz all summer and never carry a gun, just bear spray. If you know how to handle those situations your fine especially with just black bears. So just figure out how to handle yourself around them and get some spray and leave the guns at home. There has been like 2 people out of millions recreating in the mountains attacked by cats so relax. Someone that has not idea surrounding the situational aspects of a bear in counter has no need for a gun as shown by the guide killed in WY this year who was carrying a gun and killed. Obviously not to say he didn't know that or how to use the gun just a general warning and information for people. Your talking about CO which has had 1 cat attack that I know of... Maybe people can chime in with more but I doubt it.. So beside leaving the gun at home you have to many layers, hunt, sleep and live in all you layers and it saves you a lot of space.