Clothing for late October / early November Dakota pheasant?

DuckDogDr

WKR
Haven’t been pheasant hunting in awhile.
Looking for clothing layering recommendations for that time of year.

I know I’ll be starting with a merino top as base layer. Fine with synthetics after that, but synthetics next to skin are a no-go for me.

Buddy says to expect 9-10 miles of hiking a day. Sweat management is going to be a must for me as it is Hollywood comical style bad

For pants considering the Forloh BTM vs Kuiu attack pant or the Fjarlven (sp?)

Would take any other recommendations especially for mid layer and soft shell jacket etc

Pants that you don’t care about. Change of clothes and boots so if you get wet you can comfortable. Boot dryer for the evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
So I wear wrangler brush buster pants some good boots and what ever hoody I have laying on the floor. You might do that much walking but it will be in short increments. Get back in rig and drive to next spot. Bring some stuff for hot weather bring some stuff for sub zero weather you could get both in the same day.

Here is my favorite do all upland clothing set up for the entire season dependent upon conditions-

Socks- darn tough, smart wool or farm to feet damascus. The lighter versions built for running are best in my experience. Bring 4 pairs because you're going to get wet feet

Base layer bottom- 150 wt smartwool all season bottoms. This is new for me this year but its been a huge add
Base layer top- either sitka core 120 or minus 33 woolverino/ first lite wick

Boots- uninsulated leather boots. I like to wear either qn old pair of well worn danner pronghorns or my crispi lapponia's. I also bring a good pair of rubbers that are uninsulated. Bring a boot dryer.

Pants- my current favorite are kuhl renegades. I fall in love with them every time I start wearing them again. I always forget just how good those pants are. Super durable, dry fast. My only complaint is v the velcro back pockets. I'm an adult, I don't like velcro on my shoes and I don't like it on my pants.

Top- light weight synthetic quarter zip fleece. All time favorites are sitkas midweight or mountain hardware's glacial trail. Any good fleece that's light will do great here and you could go grid fleece or standard fleece conditionally dependent. Sometimes I wear a full poly athletic type hoodie in place of the light fleece/grid fleece if it's really really cold.

Shell- windproof vest. I like a jetstream in blaze orange. Can't beat it and don't overheat as much as with a jacket. I also bring a jetstream jacket but don't wear it on the walk as much unless brutally cold. It's always windy in October in the dakotas it seems and that wind can suck the life out of your hunt.

Accessories-
Gloves- leather uninsulated well broke in and bring a 2nd pair. Sitkas gunner WS Gloves were the best, but the new jetstream Gloves are also damn good.
Bring a couple blaze hats and a couple beanies so you can rotate. I like Gaiters or chaps depending on cover as well. If we are hunting more grass or it's warmer I'll wear gaiters. I wear chaps if it's cold or the cover is extra thick or we are hunting things that are prickly.

I wear a puffy over everything between hunts so I can stay warm and cook my gear dry.
I'll even throw it on right over my strap vest mid hunt if we stop to water the dogs on a long stretch.

I also like a light merino neck gaiter to control how much wind gets on my neck.

Good luck hunting

I've worn attack pants. Be prepared to spend 30 minutes picking briars out of them. Not a knock on them, I'll probably wear them again this year. I've got an old pair of brush pants that I prefer.

Bring leather boots (I like my danner sharptails), but also a rubber knee boot. Find a lot of birds in cat tails.

Other than that, layers. You'll be in and out of truck, so can change as weather changes.

It isn't a technically demanding experience.

I usually just wear some jeans or Duluth Trading cargo firehouse pants, t-shirt and orange vest. 20 years ago it was usually cold or snowy on opener, these last few years have been pretty warm.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Been going the last weekend in Oct the last two years.

First year highs in the low [emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]]’s.

Last year, snowed and below freezing highs. I’ve run everything from wrangler brush pants to wool bibs. I like comfortable hiking boots the best because we do a ton of walking.

The weather can change fast so maybe briny two sets of gear. One to handle warmer days and another for change snow and freezing temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KurtR

WKR
I've worn attack pants. Be prepared to spend 30 minutes picking briars out of them. Not a knock on them, I'll probably wear them again this year. I've got an old pair of brush pants that I prefer.

Bring leather boots (I like my danner sharptails), but also a rubber knee boot. Find a lot of birds in cat tails.

Other than that, layers. You'll be in and out of truck, so can change as weather changes.

It isn't a technically demanding experience.
Where are you finding briars at in south dakota.