What clothing am I missing for an October Utah rifle season?

rcb2000

WKR
Evening Roksliders,

I have an October 21-31, Uintas, mule deer rifle hunt coming up and hemming and hawing on a shell/rain layer for likely snow.
Will have a teepee with a stove, and plan on making 3-4 day trips between refueling at the truck.

Here’s what I have already:
Exoficcio underwear
Vuori t shirt
Darn tough socks (3 pair)
Black Ovis heavy merino long sleeve top
Smart wool bottom layer
Prana Zion
Salewa Crow GTX
Artic shield boot covers (I prefer an uninsulated boot, then these over the top when stationary)
Kenetrek gaiters
Micro spikes
Black ovis puffy pants
Kuiu peleton 240 hoodie
Costco Gerry puffy(weighs nothing and incredible warmth)
First lite Uncompaghre
First lite wool tag beanie
Blaze baseball hat
First lite merino neck gaiter
Kuiu peloton beanie( redundant but blaze orange)
Smart wool merino gloves: thin, screen touch
Fox river wool mitts: glassing
Mechanix gloves (wood processing and rolling stove pipe)

Assuming I’ll be getting some snow while glassing/hiking, I’m thinking I’m missing a rain shell or soft shell.

Thoughts?

OP
rcb2000

rcb2000

WKR
Right now considering the Stone Glacier M5 jacket, more of a hard shell, then a soft shell.

twall13

WKR
That time of year can be hit or miss with the snow. It's likely that you'll see some weather, but I've also seen it almost 80 degrees as well. I'd personally plan on some type of hardshell.

nobody

WKR
Come prepared for lots of snow, AND for hot weather. Last year, we couldn't access anything above about 8k because of a freak snow storm that rolled in. There were guys hunting and killing up higher, but they had snowmobiles for access. There were 2 pickups and a side by side burried in 5 foot snow drifts at 9500k until spring, all due to an early October snowstorm.

Lots of it will be unit dependent, but the Uintah's are always way more susceptible to crazy weather patterns. Come prepared for literally anything. One day you might be hunting in a G-String, the next you'll be freezing your hind end off in a parka.

But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet.

I would think the Zions would be fine considering you have puffy pants for sitting. The Zions with a base layer would be fine for moving and short sits. I would have rain gear for the possiblity of snow.

If your hitting the truck every few days then I would throw in another pair of heavier pants.

OP
rcb2000

rcb2000

WKR
I would think the Zions would be fine considering you have puffy pants for sitting. The Zions with a base layer would be fine for moving and short sits. I would have rain gear for the possiblity of snow.

If your hitting the truck every few days then I would throw in another pair of heavier pants.
Good call on the heavier pants, I appreciate the insight.
I picked up an OR Foray shell today, it fits well over my Uncompaghre, so should be good.

Zip off base layer bottoms and maybe rethink the Zion's.
this is solid advice.

Last year during the last half of general elk season, I was up on the north slope uintas anybull unit, at ~10K, just below treeline. weather went from warm front → rain → freezing rain/sleet → blizzard, dropping 1.5ft → artic cold.

to the point in quotes-
two fellow hunters ran the kuiu peloton zip-off and Zion pant system. very impressive and convenient. I gone the standard route of donning/doffing boots, gaiters, and pants to swap in/out the base. ftr, i ran a lwt base and Wrangler ATGs. (Ive purchased the kuiu zip-off since).

as far as rain/snow gear shells, i went with my go to system, frogg togge UL :cool:.

YMMV

best of luck