Close contact Elk arrow setup.

OP
KennethDeemer
Personally if you expect to be hunting that tight of quarters I’d be more worried about shooting tiny gaps at a close distance and being able to hit something about the size of a milk jug lid out to 40 in those situations. Any of those arrows with your set up will more than kill a bull if you keep the arrow out of the shoulder blade they are a tough animal but they bleed and die if you hit them proper. Before you go I’d also recommend making a decision on frontal shooting a lot of guys are comfortable with it at that range if you decide it’s something you are study up a lot. If it’s not I’d advise don’t change your mind if it’s presented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree - I just started practicing after TAC shooting tight tolerance long range. Planning for the arc is a good exercise.

Elkangle

WKR
If I was setting to hunt super thick country I would get a fixed 5 pin and start at 10 yards, 500-550ish arrow...then do you absolutely best not to give yourself target panic by practicing shooting different scenarios with limbs involved.. it sucks

Good luck

dturbin22

FNG
Quick question amongst already existing arrow discussions.

Where I will be heading this fall presents a high likelihood of close (sub 25 yards) but sub optimal shot angles. I’m presently shooting a 400 grain setup @ 28” and 67# - I’m considering moving substantially heavier, but hearing a lot of mixed messages. A lot of people love the heavier setups, but two local shops (east coast) think I’m insane for going heavier than 400/425. I am wondering if there are any personal experiences to speak to this either way or any clear cons against a heavier arrow aside from a shortened effective range/faster dropping arrow. I want the extra weight for penetration insurance against being off by an inch or two in the steep and thick with less than ideal shot angles.

To circumvent the coming messages, my first line of defense here is regular practice and I know that no arrow setup will stand in place of that ;)
Tip number one don’t go to an east cost shop.