Close contact Elk arrow setup.

Quick question amongst already existing arrow discussions.

Where I will be heading this fall presents a high likelihood of close (sub 25 yards) but sub optimal shot angles. I’m presently shooting a 400 grain setup @ 28” and 67# - I’m considering moving substantially heavier, but hearing a lot of mixed messages. A lot of people love the heavier setups, but two local shops (east coast) think I’m insane for going heavier than 400/425. I am wondering if there are any personal experiences to speak to this either way or any clear cons against a heavier arrow aside from a shortened effective range/faster dropping arrow. I want the extra weight for penetration insurance against being off by an inch or two in the steep and thick with less than ideal shot angles.

To circumvent the coming messages, my first line of defense here is regular practice and I know that no arrow setup will stand in place of that ;)

Legend

WKR
Really is no downside to a heavy arrow at 25yds. Besides it is fun to tinker and try new things.

IFD324

FNG
I went to the heavier arrows couple years ago. Pretty happy with it for elk and deer. Made it tougher with the single pin when I got further out past 50 yards but for hunting it’s still worth it to me.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
As long as your bow will tune to it, there's really no downside to a heavy arrow from 25 and in......or even 30 and in. You can easily get by with one pin set at 25.........IF you're not going to take any long shots.

sterlryu

FNG
My heavier 500 grain 20% foc arrow doesn't drop much more than my 420 grain regular arrow at 25 yards. Here's another con - the heavier arrow blows through bag targets at the range which is annoying and results in torn off fletchings.

dwhall20

FNG
A functioning broadhead that you can shoot accurately is far more important than the arrow weight IMO. However, if you can tinker with your weight and still shot that broadhead accurately then tinker away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cgasner1

WKR
Personally I’d rather keep what I hunt everything with so I never have to retune or tinker with things I like just grabbing my bow and hunting

OP
KennethDeemer
Thanks for the input, all!

Do y’all think my odds for success improve dramatically on unideal angles (frontal/q-towards) with a heavier arrow?

Marble

WKR
Thanks for the input, all!

Do y’all think my odds for success improve dramatically on unideal angles (frontal/q-towards) with a heavier arrow?
I think your odds of success are greater the more you shoot your bow, the more 3d courses you do the better.

Accuracy
Broadhead
Arrow flight
Arrow weight

Just my opinion.

Have 100% confidence in your ability to shoot and you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
KennethDeemer
Agree and thank you!

All things being equal, would you rather be pushing a 400 grain arrow at 315 or a 500 grain arrow at 265?

sndmn11

WKR
Agree and thank you!

All things being equal, would you rather be pushing a 400 grain arrow at 315 or a 500 grain arrow at 265?

We shoot 525+ grain arrows because I have seen them work with traditional bows regularly. My wife's compound slings them about 180fps.

If I were in your shoes, I'd worry more about my chosen broadhead than anything. If you are using 125 up front https://rmsgear.com/products/cutthroat-screw-in
If you are using 100gr https://ironwilloutfitters.com/products/single-bevel-broadheads

cgasner1

WKR
Personally if you expect to be hunting that tight of quarters I’d be more worried about shooting tiny gaps at a close distance and being able to hit something about the size of a milk jug lid out to 40 in those situations. Any of those arrows with your set up will more than kill a bull if you keep the arrow out of the shoulder blade they are a tough animal but they bleed and die if you hit them proper. Before you go I’d also recommend making a decision on frontal shooting a lot of guys are comfortable with it at that range if you decide it’s something you are study up a lot. If it’s not I’d advise don’t change your mind if it’s presented.

Dennis

WKR
I have made a complete circle back to heavy arrows and am seeing increased success because of improved arrow performance upon impact.

Btaylor

WKR
I think your odds of success are greater the more you shoot your bow, the more 3d courses you do the better.

Accuracy
Broadhead
Arrow flight
Arrow weight

Just my opinion.

Have 100% confidence in your ability to shoot and you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I would change your order to Arrow flight(tune), accuracy, arrow weight, broadhead. I would go in that order because tune is critical to accuracy and penetration. Enough arrow weight to yield an arrow speed of 265-280ish fps usually has reasonable pin gaps and makes broadhead tuning easier than a really fast arrow. Broadhead is last because if you are shooting a moderately heavy arrow accurately that is finely tuned, you can screw about any head you want to on the front and expect great results.

OP
KennethDeemer
Nothing is forcing you to take shots you don’t consider ideal
I completely agree. People take shots we’ll within their comfort zone every year and don’t recover the animal. Archery hunting is a game of unforeseeable variables and stacking the odds in your favor every chance you get…that’s what I’m looking for, not a substitute for practice or good judgement.

sndmn11

WKR
I completely agree. People take shots we’ll within their comfort zone every year and don’t recover the animal. Archery hunting is a game of unforeseeable variables and stacking the odds in your favor every chance you get…that’s what I’m looking for, not a substitute for practice or good judgement.

Every archery hunt I have been on was with those who shot traditional equipment and aimed for the center of the rib cage. Every arrow loosed at an animal resulted in a recovered animal within a half hour and a baseball field.

When we have come across people searching for an animal, and stories here etc., there is a commonality in belief to aim on or near the shoulder.

Shoot the ribs in and out, at the very least on the in, and you will win and be happy.