Climber or hang on with sticks for beginner?

Rich M

WKR
I'ma old fart. Started with screw in steps and the original "lock-on" brand and still have 2 (they weigh like 6# but the seats are uncomfortable and noisy).

Using a Summit climber these days. There is an 18# version and i think that's what i have. It is as stable and secure a platform as any. I often nap in it during the mid-day hours when the deer are sleeping. Get a folding saw to cut the dead nubs off the side of the trees when you are climbing.

I don't like the stick and stand thing. Yes I did it with a Millennial and just don't like it, especially stepping from stick over the damned cable to the platform. Have had sticks shift on me too many times. I'm 270# and if you put that weight at an angle on something not bolted down, it usually moves. So, sold the sticks & stand and bought a Summit.

OP
M
Man it really seems to be a split audience here. I guess the best thing to do would be to heavily scout and see if my hunting grounds have enough climber accessible trees in the right spots?

I would recommend a climber for your first stand depending on how big of a dude you are.

Macintosh

WKR
Are you going to set up and take down your stand every time in, or are you gonna leave it set up? If you’re leaving it set up, I don’t think there’s any question that a big lock-on with sticks is better in the long run… because you just walk up to the tree and climb up the ladder, it’s already up there. At that point weight is +\- irrelevant, you only have to carry it in once before and out once after the season.

If you’re talking about moving it around a lot during the season, then maybe there’s a choice in my mind. To be honest, I have never used a climber, as most of the trees in my area have plenty of low branches, and the land where I hunt prohibits cutting any branches larger than 1 inch, so a climber is more or less a total no-go. I hear they are comfortable, but from a versatility standpoint and using them legally where I hunt, they simply don’t work.

If you’re going to be mobile and get a hang on, I would echo the small Novix, I have found the cast stands to be more stable and quieter than the lightweight welded together ones. Lonewolf custom gear is super expensive, stands are nice, but I actually don’t care for their sticks at all and dont think it makes sense to spend that much if youre just trying it out. if you’re not certain what you’ll end up with long-term, I think a Novix small stand (helo?), and their double step shortie sticks is the way to go. As of a couple days ago they have last year‘s sticks on sale at an exceptionally good price, too. That’ll get you a stand and sticks for less than the weight of a big hefty hang on stand, at a reasonable price. If you really want to be comfortable, their larger stand adds 4 or 5 pounds, but there’s significantly more leg room.

MDX8277

FNG
I vote hang on. Climbers are more comfortable normaly unless you get a millenium hang on.

bz_711

WKR
If hunting field edges often a hang on is easier with branches...although you can find trees to use climber.
I've had my summit climber for 20+ years and absolutely love it. All my buddies have summit as well. If hunting timber there are always plenty of trees (I'm in IL) to use climber. It's more comfortable and easier to pack.
It's also safer as I use the rope tether all the way up so you are always harnessed in - takes very little time to climb two clicks, then move rope up as high as you can, two more clicks...etc...you can be 20 feet in no time.

All day sits are nothing in good/comfy climber.

I got away from hanging stands years ago and just use ladder stands if I'm planning to leave something in place.

Good Luck!

WCB

WKR
Lock on and sticks...anybody saying otherwise is doing you a disservice unless you are basically hunt pine plantations. You can hunt virtually any tree including magically the same trees a climber can with a hand on.

As far as brands:

Novix/ XOP basically old type lone wolf stands, easy set up adjustment and quiet. (I have 2 of the Lone Wolf Assault 2s not sure exact equivalent model in Novix or XOP ).
Millennium...light easy to set up seats are very comfortable especially if you get the one with the back on it. As comfortable imo as any climber. I have 3 of these. M150 Monter...BIG stand and one of most permanent set ups great late season cold weather stand. M100U I'd say your normal size stand the a super comfortable backed seat. and the M7 MICROLITE...super small comfortable seat no back and used when I go mobile. All have the same hanging system which is super easy and can by extra straps to preset. Just climb up the tree and drop the peg in and the stand is pretty much hung.

Stick wise...I have lone wolf, Shikar, some old Gorilla, and Muddy stagger steps. All work just fine and my favorite are actually the Muddy Stagger sticks if I am not mobile and making sets that are going to be there for multiple days. Large place for your foot basically cant slip off, great for late season with big boots.
Mobile wise the lone wolf or shikar sticks are what I use...either way I get up the tree.

Get a good harness and especially being new to it get a good safety line for when you are going up and down the tree. We pre set these when we hang our stands. If I am going mobile and not leaving my stand after the hunt I will admit I don't use one BUT they are really nice to have.

They both have their place. I have both and if I'm going to an area where I know there are some straight trees, I will usually grab my Lone Wolf climber. For me it's just easier and faster to setup. That being said I've been in the situation where it's really annoying when you can't find a good tree and the stand and sticks would have been the way to go. I'd see if you could practice with both setups by using a friends, that would give you a better idea of which one you're more comfortable with.

trepuah

FNG
If I were a beginner now I would buy the Hawk helium hang-on stand and Hawk climbing sticks available on CamoFire member deals page right now.

I see the Hawk helium on camofire pretty regularly, I've never used one but have heard decent things. I have a climber and have used lock ons. It really just depends on the trees in the area I'm going to be hunting.

I grew grew up exclusively hunting from the ground but started climbing trees last year and had to answer the same question. I hunt swamps and agricultural land, so open areas of mature forest are pretty rare.

Unless you’re in a pine plantation where there’s no branches (cover) for 20 feet, I’d vote a hang on and sticks. I have a climber ( given to me) and a XOP vanish hang on with helium sticks.

When I’m hunting a new area, my goal is to hunt deer, not trees. I can get up to 15 feet ( platform height above the ground) in nearly any tree with my hang on, so when I find the spot I want to hunt I can put my stand in THE tree that gives me the best possible position and cover instead of hoping I find a tree compatible with my climber.

I want to be in the place I think gives me the best chance at killing a deer. The hang on with sticks is the most versatile option so that was my choice. I’m also not afraid to sit on the ground if there’s not a tree in the spot I want to hunt

If you're hunting rifle; climber gets you up higher faster with a bar to rest your barrel on. Good for tall pines overlooking clearcut. If you're bow hunting, lock on with sticks let's you get in the thick stuff with janky trees

Thumper87

FNG
I would personally go with a hang on and sticks after starting out with a climber. I got frustrated with my climber because I could never find good trees to get into.

Shop used and cry once. If you get a quality stand it will last your years.

Macintosh

WKR
@flathead#2 what was the issue? If you have gear made for carrying and quick setup it’s about same or less weight, and with a little practice you can be in the tree hunting in 10 min or less, easy. Were you trying to use a heavy hang-on and sticks made for leaving in place, or were you using gear made for hang-and-hunt? Night and day difference.

Macintosh

WKR
@flathead#2 you didnt answer the question? I havent used a climber before, but curious on the details of your comparison, as it seems off to me. It makes a big difference what equipment you are using, so Id like to know what you are comparing to and some detail on using a climber. If you are comparing a top of the line climber to a $79.95 steel hang-on from Dicks, sure. But Im curious for some specificity on what you experienced, because what youre saying about a hang-on doesn't match my experience.

Easier, maybe I dont know. A stand and sticks is just a buckle strap, repeat as needed. Is a climber significantly easier? The one thing some people find tricky is getting a heavy stand initially mounted on the tree—but a light stand is way easier, and there are also several ways to mount the strap or a bracket first so the stand essentially just clips on to it. What did you find difficult?

More comfortable—this is the one advantage to a climber I see most people agree on.

Quicker—maybe…but like I said with even minimal practice with a hang-on, 10-15 min start to hunting is easy even if passing branches and being quiet, and if you get comfortable 5-7 min is very realistic most if the time. Is a climber really much faster if its not pre-set at the bottom of a straight tree?

Quieter—is highly dependent on the exact stand and sticks youre using, but a cast hang on and good sticks are quiet enough to set up pretty darn close to bedded deer. The only noise is if you are careless and bang your stuff together. What was it you found loud?

Less equipment—stand, sticks, harness and tether. It all straps together like a backpack for transport. Is a 2-piece climber with a harness and tether that much less? It may be fewer pieces I guess simply because you have a couple sticks, but Im curious what you found so different? A basic but good quality lighter stand and sticks will weigh about 9lb for the stand, and about 2lb per stick, including buckle straps, so call it 17lb, and as far as I know the rest is the same as a climber…and if you spend a bit more theres multiple ways to drop 5 or 6lb from that. Are climbers typically that much less weight or bulk?

BCD

WKR
The lock on and sticks is much more versatile than a climber. I tried 3 different saddles and couldh't have been less impressed. Definitely not for me.