Cimmaron vs red cliff

We all know this more about preferences and less about what actually will work. If you leave gear outside you can always fit more people inside. Some of us use our shelter as a basecamp home with certain luxuries as opposed to some who mostly just sleep in their shelter. Crowding up some is fine as long as everyone is relatively settled in their place.

There's no right/wrong - better/worse shelter in these choices....only a matter of what you like and will be happiest with. I happen to value space a lot, as it equates to my comfort on longer hunts in colder climates. I'll stand upright to get dressed or take a nighttime leak, thank you. My chair, cot, stove, woodpile, longbow, backpack, cookstove and other things will be in there wth me, dry and protected. I can hang some damp gear from overhead lines and dry it with heat.

That said, I'm a realist and there's no way I'd be in this setup on a shorter hunt....a longer distance pack-it-all-in hunt....a must-be-mobile hunt. There are better ways to skin those animals. So go with what will work AND what you will enjoy the most while keeping within your budget.

I’m having a difficult time with the statistics here: being taller than 6’2 is less 4% of the population. 6’5 is less than 1%. Hunters make up less than 4% of the population already and The average American male 5’9.

What is the probability of 3 hunting partners, An already small % of the general population, all being in the sub 1-3% of the population?

Lol. Superiority??? One is my cousin so same genetics is part of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idamuley

FNG
For those of you that store your packs and gear outside of your shelter what is the best way to keep your gear dry in snow and rain conditions?

ELKOHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
For those of you that store your packs and gear outside of your shelter what is the best way to keep your gear dry in snow and rain conditions?
A large contractor trash bag works well. Wrap all your gear inside like a burrito. When the wind blows it will still keep wind and rain out.

crrakcrrak

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Cimarron and used it for about 16 or so days year before last hunting sheep, nothing bad to say. Stove was sure nice to have.

I've owned both, still have Redcliff,, with that being said, if you are hunting with anyone ever, Redcliff without a doubt,, if solo 99.9% of the time Cimmarron will be perfect,
this is if you want gear inside. the above diagrams k1 posted are spot on,,although its tighter than the diagram appears,, the walls are for sure closing in on you on the sides
I spent 30 days in the redlciff last year with 2, and with gear and wood, its fine,, we had lightweight chairs as well,, we could have put another person and gear where we had chairs,, so for 3 I think late season with stove, no problem..

Attachments

• 68634190065__13ED2795-4AB8-4B9D-A1A8-5426BA48CEC2.jpeg
    68634190065__13ED2795-4AB8-4B9D-A1A8-5426BA48CEC2.jpeg
    353.5 KB · Views: 58

Iltasyuko

FNG
If using a nest in the Cimmarron with a stove, you’ll probably want the 2 door version, the light version stove jack placement means the stove and nest are closer together than is ideal. SO has a video explaining this.