Choosing a Dog

TSAMP

WKR
It is a good price. I wouldn't get to hung up on price. Puppies are over priced, it has gotten ridiculous, along with all of the "puppy contracts" you have to sign.
I hear you on this, but I liked the idea of the puppy contracts and dogs being priced high. It kept the right people buying the dogs. I have seen the number of breeders 10x since getting my first pudelpointer, and the 2 year wait lists have become "I have 1 left from the litter, anybody need a dog?"

I've witnessed 2 people end up with dogs and then never have time to train and get frustrated at the one training day they make that their dog isn't performing like others.

I get that all these dogs end up as house pets 75% their lives, but it's a shame to see these dogs not get the field use they require.

WRO

WKR
Not planning for this year, just thinking more about dogs again because the season is close. I probably wouldn’t get one until early
next year at the soonest.

I’m considering a started dog because I’m worried I don’t have the time, experience, or local support to train a puppy from scratch. I’ve leash trained an 8 year old English setter, but that’s my experience with training.

5k is way more than I expected.

There’s a grand plus in food and vet bills in the first 6 months, then lots of hours in training, kill birds, etc.

They’re not free to own or train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are an English Setter family. I'm sorry you lost your Setter, that's tough. We had to put down our pup two years ago, but now have a 1+ year old that is starting on birds. Sounds like another Setter may not work from an allergy standpoint? That said, I do think it's the best sporting breed if you have a family (biased of course). I'd probably stay away from GSP, Griffon or Vizsla, I love all three, but they are a step change in energy from a Setter.

+1 for the pudel pointer. Good breed where allergies are a concern and integrate well with a family. If you're not a dog trainer I would not expect to train the dog yourself. Find a good trainer both for obedience and hunt training and make the financial investment of having the dog trained by a professional. I've seen a few friends try to train their dogs on their own with limited results especially as it relates to hunting. If you both work then a started dog may be a better option (all trained and ready to go). It just takes some calling around to breeders to see who has started dogs or they may have a retired stud dog or dame that they'd like to find a home for.

As for training, if you're in the Bay Area, Mike Sustos and/or his son at Wing & Barrel in Sonoma may still be training dogs (I know they did when we lived out there before the club was built).

Good luck!

WRO

WKR
I know where a really nice 4 month old male Gordon is, he won’t be cheap but is a fantastic dog..

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
I hear you on this, but I liked the idea of the puppy contracts and dogs being priced high. It kept the right people buying the dogs. I have seen the number of breeders 10x since getting my first pudelpointer, and the 2 year wait lists have become "I have 1 left from the litter, anybody need a dog?"

I've witnessed 2 people end up with dogs and then never have time to train and get frustrated at the one training day they make that their dog isn't performing like others.

I get that all these dogs end up as house pets 75% their lives, but it's a shame to see these dogs not get the field use they require.
I don’t know if you meant for it to come out this way, but this perspective sounds a little elitist. I agree it’s a shame people aren’t hunting dogs that are meant for it.
We are an English Setter family. I'm sorry you lost your Setter, that's tough. We had to put down our pup two years ago, but now have a 1+ year old that is starting on birds. Sounds like another Setter may not work from an allergy standpoint? That said, I do think it's the best sporting breed if you have a family (biased of course). I'd probably stay away from GSP, Griffon or Vizsla, I love all three, but they are a step change in energy from a Setter.

+1 for the pudel pointer. Good breed where allergies are a concern and integrate well with a family. If you're not a dog trainer I would not expect to train the dog yourself. Find a good trainer both for obedience and hunt training and make the financial investment of having the dog trained by a professional. I've seen a few friends try to train their dogs on their own with limited results especially as it relates to hunting. If you both work then a started dog may be a better option (all trained and ready to go). It just takes some calling around to breeders to see who has started dogs or they may have a retired stud dog or dame that they'd like to find a home for.

As for training, if you're in the Bay Area, Mike Sustos and/or his son at Wing & Barrel in Sonoma may still be training dogs (I know they did when we lived out there before the club was built).

Good luck!
I’m north of the bay and sanoma in the redwood region. It’s not too hard to make an occasional trip down there but it’s like a 5-6 hour drive.

I may have to go with a setter again. He was the sweetest dog I’ve had and was great with both babies we brought home. The allergies with ours weren’t intense, but my wife would cough and sneeze a little bit and she hated having hair on everything. He shed a ton, especially the last year or so when he was sick.

I’m thinking I do want at least a somewhat started dog, and the best time to get one would probably be early summer so I’d have the break to spend with it.

JGood

Lil-Rokslider
Silver Labs are the best dogs. Everybody knows it but they're all scared to say it. Especially the ones imported from England that point as well!

Good luck!

TSAMP

WKR
I don’t know if you meant for it to come out this way, but this perspective sounds a little elitist. I agree it’s a shame people aren’t hunting dogs that are meant for it.

I’m north of the bay and sanoma in the redwood region. It’s not too hard to make an occasional trip down there but it’s like a 5-6 hour drive.

I may have to go with a setter again. He was the sweetest dog I’ve had and was great with both babies we brought home. The allergies with ours weren’t intense, but my wife would cough and sneeze a little bit and she hated having hair on everything. He shed a ton, especially the last year or so when he was sick.

I’m thinking I do want at least a somewhat started dog, and the best time to get one would probably be early summer so I’d have the break to spend with it.
It may come off that way, but rest assured it's coming out in favor of the dog, not the people.

It's all fun and games for a guy to read up on forums and go out and buy a custom long range rifle that we all know will sit in his safe, you can't do that with a dog. So I'm just trying to give you some perspective is all.

Now don't take this the wrong way, but from what I get from this thread, you'd be just as well to get a young mix breed dog locally and I am sure your family would have a ball and you can kill a few birds with it.

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
It may come off that way, but rest assured it's coming out in favor of the dog, not the people.

It's all fun and games for a guy to read up on forums and go out and buy a custom long range rifle that we all know will sit in his safe, you can't do that with a dog. So I'm just trying to give you some perspective is all.

Now don't take this the wrong way, but from what I get from this thread, you'd be just as well to get a young mix breed dog locally and I am sure your family would have a ball and you can kill a few birds with it.
Thanks for the recommendation.

Last edited:

JGood

Lil-Rokslider

On a serious note I own setters and have a bunch that I work with and im pretty allergic myself. Theyre great dogs. If you dont want to deal with a coat, get a Pointer or a GSP.

If you do go with a setter. Get a started dog out of some well known trial lines from a reputable breeder (send me a PM and ill give you a short list) that has a short coat and keep him/her shaved down. The hair wont be a problem unless you get one of the shaggy Hemlock or Ryman dogs or you dont shave your dog.

The best time to get a started dog is right now through sept 30th. All the breeders and trainers will be getting back from the Dakotas next month and they'll decide which dogs theyre going to keep and which dogs they're going to let go.

You're not going to go wrong with any of those three breeds, you could go wrong with choosing the wrong breeder or not spending the time/money on training.

WRO

WKR
My buddies Brittany has a nice off switch, only problem is it’s kinda hard to tell off it’s taking a piss or pointing.

Last edited:
OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
My buddies Brittany has a nice off switch, only problem is it’s kinda hard to tell off it’s taking a piss or pointing.

My wife wants me to look into Brittanys because she likes the size and thinks they will be a good fit for our family.

I’ve never hunted waterfowl but I’d like to get into it and it’s very popular around here, so was leaning toward something that can retrieve ducks as well.

Lots of folks have commented on time etc and I am a bit strapped but I get out for day trips almost every weekend of the season and my family is constantly out hiking etc. I’m mostly worried about being at work all day.

My wife wants me to look into Brittanys because she likes the size and thinks they will be a good fit for our family.

I’ve never hunted waterfowl but I’d like to get into it and it’s very popular around here, so was leaning toward something that can retrieve ducks as well.

Lots of folks have commented on time etc and I am a bit strapped but I get out for day trips almost every weekend of the season and my family is constantly out hiking etc. I’m mostly worried about being at work all day.
I have had two brittanies and they are sweet dogs, have aggressive prey drive, and most are conveniently sized. They generally aren't what id look for with waterfowl especially if it was cold water at all.

If you get a hunting (or, these days, trial really) bred dog and they might be more similar than what people let on to. It really comes down to how you like the looks of the dog and their typical personality. You could visit breeders, hunt tests, or various trials to find out for yourself.

medvedyt

WKR

brittany are certainly the best compact breed you can find and great will to hunt for sure. but when i lived in brittany we had them and hunted a lot ducks as well but geese were not opened and i do think they will be more on the low side for geese but they worked great on partridges, pheasants and of course ducks. we had friends that used them in southern france on red partridge as well and some on pmartigans in the alps so tell you they can cover a lot of different hunting areas. with that said i will say griffon might more a good fit with family but as any dog it is the time you are taking with them and of course some of the origins but whatever your choice is you will have fun and not only when hunting.