Montana Mule Deer/Elk advice

Hey y’all. Ive recently graduated nursing school and will be moving from Arkansas to Montana to work as an emergency department nurse in Billings. I have absolutely no experience with mule deer or elk hunting and ,as a 22 year old recent college graduate, I dont have the money to spend on a guide. Thus, I plan to do everything DIY. As I only work 3 days per week as a nurse, I plan to do quite a bit of hunting starting next year. I was hoping someone on this forum may be able give me advice or direct me towards places to gain additional info regarding getting started in western hunting. Ive already scavenged through old forums and various websites, however I need all the help I can get. Any advice you may offer is much needed and well appreciated, thank y’all!

Im sure I’ll catch some flak for being the typical Out-of-stater moving to Montana and increasing the hunting pressure, so I apologize in advance!

Just read everything here and you'll be fine.

Also understand there is no substitute for time in the field. Luckily you'll live close to your hunting areas and have the time to explore. That will be more valuable than anything you can find online. Honestly the only thing better will be a genuine mentor.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Yep, first things first. Don’t go voting for nut jobs in these western states. They were great for a reason, New Yorkers and Californians are ruining them, remember that and likely locals will be glad to have you. Second you don’t need expensive gear, tons of inexpensive stuff out there to keep you comfortable and get you going. Sounds like you have time. Dive into animal behavior, study what habits they like, how they behave at different times of the year, and burn a bunch of boot leather and you will do just fine.

Oh and read the regs, really read them. They will help you with applications ect… if you have questions go to a local office and pick the on duty wardens brain they are pretty helpful

TSnave

FNG
Billings, huh? Lots of deer and antelope country in easy travelling range, elk country might be a bit farther but is still reachable. Spend your days off this coming spring and summer getting out of town and exploring. You won't be a resident in time to apply for tags, so hold off on those until you have your 6 months and then get OTC general elk and deer; those will allow you to hunt next fall and with some work and a little luck I'd be surprised if you didn't at least get a deer or two (read the regs, usually you can buy an otc antlerless tag). Get familiar with the Block Management program and the FWP website. Consider OnX if you don't already have it. Join the local range (archery or rifle, I don't know your preference) and use it.

Otherwise, get MT license plates as soon as you can.

Playing in the Billings area, you will need a gps with a onX chip or onX to figure out private and public land. FS and BLM travel maps will help you figure out how to get there. Mt FWP should help with where to look. After that its just fuel, tires and time. None of it is easy - even for the locals. Don't get excited for 2-3 years. It will take a while.