Chevy Motors

In looking back through all the recent truck threads, I see little mention of the newer 2.7 l4 turbos in Chevy.
The research I've done is a mixed bag of positive/negative. Their are several around my area at decent prices and curious if anyone has real world experience.
Thanks!

Tjdeerslayer37

Lil-Rokslider
i havent heard anything good or bad about them really. but i also dont know anyone that wants a fullsize truck with a 4 banger in it. id imagine if all youre doing is hauling the kids to soccer, its probably fine. but i bet once you put a trailer behind it or any halfway significant payload its gonna be a dawg and shifting all day long.

OP
longspeak74
That's what intrigues me about them. I don't pull ANYTHING and aside from plants, lumber, dead animals nothing overly heavy for payload.
From what I read, slight mileage difference from the original V8's and guy's spoke highly of the torque/speed of the turbos.

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
In looking back through all the recent truck threads, I see little mention of the newer 2.7 l4 turbos in Chevy.
The research I've done is a mixed bag of positive/negative. Their are several around my area at decent prices and curious if anyone has real world experience.
Thanks!
My son has that motor in a ZR2 Colorado. In that application, it’s pretty much a monster of a motor. Great power, reasonable economy. If I didn’t need to pull a cattle trailer, I would not hesitate to own that truck with that motor.

John

My son has that motor in a ZR2 Colorado. In that application, it’s pretty much a monster of a motor. Great power, reasonable economy. If I didn’t need to pull a cattle trailer, I would not hesitate to own that truck with that motor.

John
Agree in a compact pickup they're a great idea. In full size, it definitely starts to limit utility.

I am about 3 months into a '22 1500 with that motor.

23 ish mpg unloaded. I pulled a 17' lund (about 2,000 lbs) out to ND this summer, got 16-17 mpg into the wind, and 19ish without fighting the wind

stv117

Lil-Rokslider
i drive the 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500.. lots of good things could be said about this vehicle...

I went from a V8 RAM to this, and I haven't noticed a huge difference in power, it pulled the boat just fine as far as getting up to speed in traffic, etc. I have not had the truck i the mountains yet.

I see you are in wi too, what part?

CorbLand

WKR
I havent looked at Chevy full sizes but was in the market for a midsize and the weak link on the Colorados seem to be the transmission more than the motors. Dont know if its the same on the full size or not but, worth looking into.

OP
longspeak74
Currently in a V6 Ram, that has been a solid truck just getting up there in miles.

In between Madison and Milwaukee.

We have several 1500s in our fleet. They have been good motors. We routinely pull trailers ranging from 1k-3500LBs and they have no issues with the 3500LB hauls. I have driven them quite a few times and they have plenty of pep for daily driving. They kinda act like a little diesel in that they operate in the low RPM range a lot. They do sound funny in a full size but honestly seem like a good choice for a lot of applications.

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
If you haven't driven a modern turbo charged engine, take one for a spin. There are a lot of variables, but in a perfect setting, each atmosphere of forced induction increases horsepower by the naturally aspirated output. So if it's 150 HP NA, shove 15 psi down its throat and now you're at 300 HP. Bump that up to 30 psi and you're at 450 HP. Lots of things cause efficiency to be less than 100%, but you can see how forced induction changes the game quickly.

Maintenance is the thing that would concern me. Heat is the enemy, and it can be a challenge to keep turbos cool, especially under long stretches at heavy load (i.e. towing). I tend to own older vehicles, and I'm not sure I would want one of these with 200k miles unless I was sure it was an old man's grocery getter.

OP
longspeak74
Between work, kid's activities and hunting - I drive a lot of miles. Very good about scheduled maintenance and tow nothing.
The dealer I bought my Ram from had lifetime power trane warranty as long as all service was performed at said dealer.

Weldor

WKR
My neighbor traded his Turbo Tundra for one of the new Chevy's. He lives at 6000 ft and drives grade weekly at 100 degrees plus. He be a good test bed for that engine. He doe not tow but at least I'll get the run down on how it is preforming.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
Turbo-ing the hell out of all these small engines scares the crap out of me. Maybe my fears are unfounded and the engineers have it all figured out, but I would think longevity would be an issue with the engine continually under heavy stress.
Anyone hear of any examples of someone having one of these small turbo charged engines with 200,000+ miles on them with minimal costly issues?

We have a few with 130 ish and no issues. We don’t always have trailers attached but like I said above we do quite a bit. Also they are loaded with hundreds of pounds of rack system, tool boxes and tools all the time. Other than it sounding weird and seeming strange to have that small motor in the full size they really have done well.

Turbo-ing the hell out of all these small engines scares the crap out of me. Maybe my fears are unfounded and the engineers have it all figured out, but I would think longevity would be an issue with the engine continually under heavy stress.
Anyone hear of any examples of someone having one of these small turbo charged engines with 200,000+ miles on them with minimal costly issues?
Know what kind of power a diesel makes without a turbo cramming 20+ psi into it?

How's diesel longevity?

i havent heard anything good or bad about them really. but i also dont know anyone that wants a fullsize truck with a 4 banger in it. id imagine if all youre doing is hauling the kids to soccer, its probably fine. but i bet once you put a trailer behind it or any halfway significant payload its gonna be a dawg and shifting all day long.
I've got the 24 silverado 1500 lt model with that motor I'm currently driving and it pulls my 21 foot travel trailer with absolutely no problem and extra power, first chevy I've owned without the 5.3