Cheap Stuff that Works

Jtenkink

FNG
Should be able to easily make one if you heat up some thin PVC pipe or kydex, especially if it is not to belt carry, but simply protect you blade/pack while stored in your pack.
Thats exactly what I did for my boning knife. A grinder to shape the pipe, propane torch and about 12” of pvc pipe. I think I used 3/4“ pipe if memory serves. I also made a sheath out of an ABS pipe, a piece of plastic electrical conduit, and even a piece of pex pipe just to see if it would work. Took about 10 minutes to make the sheaths and then I sprayed them neon or bright red so I don’t lose them if I set them down. They work great and don’t come any cheaper!

Might have missed it in all the replys but nylafum pack liners work for an alternative cheap dry bag inside the pack, fairly durable and can be used in few applications.
- Dry sack for clothes
- make shift pillow
- cut a hole in one corner and add an attachment to it for filling sleeping pads so you don't use your hot breath that can add moisture to the interor of the pad
- cut it open and use it for a make shift tarp to keep meat clean when field prepping meat

they're cheap 3$ a bag.

This a great thread and I thought of something I don't think I saw mentioned as I was reading through it.
Want a 3 d target but don't have the budget for one. Get a 2 d target face and hang it over your target. Now you get the benefit of shooting at a deer or elk shape for about $10 . I did it this past year and really enjoyed shooting at something more than dots.

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
This a great thread and I thought of something I don't think I saw mentioned as I was reading through it.
Want a 3 d target but don't have the budget for one. Get a 2 d target face and hang it over your target. Now you get the benefit of shooting at a deer or elk shape for about $10 . I did it this past year and really enjoyed shooting at something more than dots.
Ha I just picked up a couple of these Morrell targets for exactly that reason, I'd rather put the money towards better quality arrows and such than an expensive 3d target

Full disclosure, I haven’t tested this out yet, but I was walking Cabelas yesterday and nothing jumped out at me product wise like this did...only weighs 8 ounces, full-enclosure to keep those glass-scratching particles off your lenses and it just look and feels quality and well-built. Looks very functional. I like the blaze color for safety. I think it’s a one-size fits most. Can’t believe it’s $29 even at Cabelas

70787851b11af715bab4f0044e1e9092.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the same one that comes with the diamondback. It's alright for the price but the straps aren't the best. There is no padding and its just webbing that connects at the back. There isn't a piece that really stretches out the webbing so it can chafe against your neck.

These things are awesome, bought 4 of them, then bought 6 more. I like an organized pack and these durable reusable ultralight bags do just the trick...showed them to buddy and he decided he needed too. Use one for kill kit, first aid kit/survival kit other random gear. I like the size of the 4L if I had to pick one, but 1.5L very useful as well.

5ef92a6a8a63ec3865e96f926246b97f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45-70govt

FNG
this thread is a gold mine boys.
In reference to the Eddie Bauer Guide Pro Pants, ive been looking to get something better than the budget cabelas ones i have now. Question is lined or unlined? How warm are the lined ones? Winter use only?

jackle1886

Lil-Rokslider
In reference to the Eddie Bauer Guide Pro Pants, ive been looking to get something better than the budget cabelas ones i have now. Question is lined or unlined? How warm are the lined ones? Winter use only?
For sure winter use only. Or stationary mid to late fall here in the north.

fmyth

WKR
Unlined for me during September archery and then lined plus baselayer for for my winter rifle hunts. My Costco (AZ) has a similar version lined and unlined for under $30 right now.

Rkak

FNG
Big Agnes $5 footprints can be used for tarps, groundsheets, meat sheets etc...
https://www.bigagnes.com/Gear/Collections/5-footprints

Sawyer Permethrin bug spray $16 can treat a few pairs of clothes and tent setup
https://www.amazon.com/Products-Premium-Permethrin-Repellent-Clothing/dp/B001ANQVYU?th=1

Insulated food container/stove carry $12 or make your own with twist n loc ziplock container and reflectrix
https://antigravitygear.com/shop/pr...-kitchen-4-cup-screw-lid-container-with-cozy/

Starbucks used to have single use Sriracha packets, I think you can still get them there

Lightweight silnylon double ended stuff sack so you can separate clean/dirty socks, or organize kitchenware
https://www.bearpawwd.com/misc_gear/misc_gear.php#twinsack

Se7en39

Lil-Rokslider
Big Agnes $5 footprints can be used for tarps, groundsheets, meat sheets etc...
https://www.bigagnes.com/Gear/Collections/5-footprints

Sawyer Permethrin bug spray $16 can treat a few pairs of clothes and tent setup
https://www.amazon.com/Products-Premium-Permethrin-Repellent-Clothing/dp/B001ANQVYU?th=1

Insulated food container/stove carry $12 or make your own with twist n loc ziplock container and reflectrix
https://antigravitygear.com/shop/pr...-kitchen-4-cup-screw-lid-container-with-cozy/

Starbucks used to have single use Sriracha packets, I think you can still get them there

Lightweight silnylon double ended stuff sack so you can separate clean/dirty socks, or organize kitchenware
https://www.bearpawwd.com/misc_gear/misc_gear.php#twinsack

Any idea on what the specs are on the size of the footprints are? Can’t seem to find anything on the website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rkak

FNG
Any idea on what the specs are on the size of the footprints are? Can’t seem to find anything on the website.
Here's the Tumble 3 footprint specs, ended up finding them on REI. Big Agnes must delete them when they move them to the sale page.. They also usually have a few more options in there.
Material(s)Polyester taffeta
Dimensions90 x 72 inches
Weight12 ounces
Packed size measures 9.5 x 7 x 1.5 in.

VernAK

WKR
I like the Guide Pro Pants but the Guide Pro Work Pants are a step up IMO and the color selection is also better IMO. The very best waist band I've found.

i'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but the third hand archery hip clip is one of the most handy and useful hunting gadgets i have used... EVERY archery hunter/3D shooter should have at least one.

i always have one on my pack, now i have one on my bino harness side strap too, but for glassing or calling, they are seriously handy, don't know how i got by without them, haha... and cheap!

Attachments

• E8D5D389-4866-4904-9395-01C972CA0427.jpeg
    E8D5D389-4866-4904-9395-01C972CA0427.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 283

CWayne121

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking for a windproof ultra quiet jacket for bow hunting and was about to fork up money for a Sitka Stratus until I saw an email ad from Uniqlo of all places. They have this windproof, high pile fleece jacket for $50 that has great reviews. I got it thinking worst case I'll just wear it around town. This thing works! It's windproof, whisper quiet, and ultra warm. It's a modern cut so not as much bulk as one would think. With a wrist guard to keep fabric away from the string, this jacket hits all the requirements and then some. Got my nephew and father onto them as well.