Spyderco Stretch 2 K390 Review

Dr. Zeus

FNG
I just wanted to post my review of the Spyderco Stretch 2 in K390 on here because I think that someone could benefit from it.

I have always been in the search of the perfect edc for my use. An edc knife in my definition is a knife that checks all of my boxes for all year and everyday cutting purposes no matter what the task. It's something that's robust and strong enough to bring to bring to work with you yet gentle enough to throw in a pair of shorts or sweatpants when running to the convenience store. It's something that when you forget it, you feel insecure and anxious throughout the day, constantly feeling for it on your right front pants pocket because it has grown to be an extension of your hand. Haha, well maybe that last part is just me.

When I first started my search of my perfect edc, I thought I needed a heavy duty folder, such as a cold steel with a triad lock. I thought I needed a knife just as tough as a fixed blade but with the convenience of being half the size when folded. I thought these knives would be invincible just as their demonstration videos "proved" them to be. I thought I could use them for things other than cutting, (never do this) the result would be a snapped tip or blade stock. They didn't accel at cutting either because of thickness behind the edge nor were they light. They felt like having an extra cell phone in your pocket.

I have tried various small fixed blade knives in pocket sheaths with attached ulticlips, benchmades, other spydercos with s35vn or s30v steel with all of the same results. After a day of hard use I would constantly have to re sharpen them. I might as well carry my worksharp pocket sharpener in my left pocket. I felt like I was wasting to much money and was never going to be happy. I would read knife forums and reviews and just order another one when I was convinced that I had found "the one".

It wasn't until I started researching blade steel until I stumbled on k390. K390 is a super steel that I had heard very little about, not many knife manufacturers use the steel for that reason I am unsure. Spyderco was one of the very few knife manufacturers that sold a knife in k390. I ended up choosing the stretch 2 for its utilitarian/skinning blade geometry, 3.5" blade length, 4.5" handle length. Spyderco also has an incredible reputation for their heat treat which has been problem for me in the past with some custom/bigger knife manufacturers.

Yes, it's ugly. The only scales available are blue fiberglass reinforced nylon. Trust me I would rather have micarta/linen for anesthetics. But the FRN scales don't have any performance issues that might be associated with micarta/linen.

The factory edge wasn't that great I think I went a month before having to resharpen but I ended up putting a 17 dps bevel on it with my Tsprof Blitz 360. I have only resharpened it that one time. I do strop it from time to time but so far I have had the knife for 11 months now and I am in complete awe with the edge retention. I am a lineman by trade, I skin the insulation off copper and aluminum wire daily. I circle cut the wire, skin wire, and use the tip to pop of the insulation. Not once have I ever experienced any edge rolling or tip micro breakage. I use it for everything from cutting rope, cardboard, skinning deer, fileting fish. I use it every day for everyday cutting tasks performs flawlessly at everything. The only concern would be the pocket clip which loses its memory when attached to larger clothing such as the pockets of winter carhartt bibs. But it's an easy fix, simply take of the clip and reattach it to the opposite side of the knife and bend it down.. good to go. Also invest in a high end sharpener fixed angle sharpener because this knife is HARD. But that has its benefits considering its been 10 months since I have resharpened it.

Anyways If you have $150 burning in your pocket and have always been wanting an edc or the one you have now isn't quite doing it for you, try one of these out.. just remember it's not a prybar. And no this one is not for sale lol.

7dbfe37e98963e70209c086bf622b693.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Hondo

WKR
I'm a knife collector (custom & factory) and the Stretch has been my most frequently carried knife for over 10 years. It is ugly but this Stretch 2 K390 version with the straight spine is less ugly than prior versions. I resisted buying one for a couple of years just because of that. After the 2007 release of the carbon fiber handled ZDP-189 steel version I bought my first and now own and use many variations. You have to use one to appreciate the design and functional beauty of this knife. My personal favorite is the HAP40 laminated sprint series with burnt orange handle.

Bergara

FNG
I just wanted to post my review of the Spyderco Stretch 2 in K390 on here because I think that someone could benefit from it.

I have always been in the search of the perfect edc for my use. An edc knife in my definition is a knife that checks all of my boxes for all year and everyday cutting purposes no matter what the task. It's something that's robust and strong enough to bring to bring to work with you yet gentle enough to throw in a pair of shorts or sweatpants when running to the convenience store. It's something that when you forget it, you feel insecure and anxious throughout the day, constantly feeling for it on your right front pants pocket because it has grown to be an extension of your hand. Haha, well maybe that last part is just me.

When I first started my search of my perfect edc, I thought I needed a heavy duty folder, such as a cold steel with a triad lock. I thought I needed a knife just as tough as a fixed blade but with the convenience of being half the size when folded. I thought these knives would be invincible just as their demonstration videos "proved" them to be. I thought I could use them for things other than cutting, (never do this) the result would be a snapped tip or blade stock. They didn't accel at cutting either because of thickness behind the edge nor were they light. They felt like having an extra cell phone in your pocket.

I have tried various small fixed blade knives in pocket sheaths with attached ulticlips, benchmades, other spydercos with s35vn or s30v steel with all of the same results. After a day of hard use I would constantly have to re sharpen them. I might as well carry my worksharp pocket sharpener in my left pocket. I felt like I was wasting to much money and was never going to be happy. I would read knife forums and reviews and just order another one when I was convinced that I had found "the one".

It wasn't until I started researching blade steel until I stumbled on k390. K390 is a super steel that I had heard very little about, not many knife manufacturers use the steel for that reason I am unsure. Spyderco was one of the very few knife manufacturers that sold a knife in k390. I ended up choosing the stretch 2 for its utilitarian/skinning blade geometry, 3.5" blade length, 4.5" handle length. Spyderco also has an incredible reputation for their heat treat which has been problem for me in the past with some custom/bigger knife manufacturers.

Yes, it's ugly. The only scales available are blue fiberglass reinforced nylon. Trust me I would rather have micarta/linen for anesthetics. But the FRN scales don't have any performance issues that might be associated with micarta/linen.

The factory edge wasn't that great I think I went a month before having to resharpen but I ended up putting a 17 dps bevel on it with my Tsprof Blitz 360. I have only resharpened it that one time. I do strop it from time to time but so far I have had the knife for 11 months now and I am in complete awe with the edge retention. I am a lineman by trade, I skin the insulation off copper and aluminum wire daily. I circle cut the wire, skin wire, and use the tip to pop of the insulation. Not once have I ever experienced any edge rolling or tip micro breakage. I use it for everything from cutting rope, cardboard, skinning deer, fileting fish. I use it every day for everyday cutting tasks performs flawlessly at everything. The only concern would be the pocket clip which loses its memory when attached to larger clothing such as the pockets of winter carhartt bibs. But it's an easy fix, simply take of the clip and reattach it to the opposite side of the knife and bend it down.. good to go. Also invest in a high end sharpener fixed angle sharpener because this knife is HARD. But that has its benefits considering its been 10 months since I have resharpened it.

Anyways If you have $150 burning in your pocket and have always been wanting an edc or the one you have now isn't quite doing it for you, try one of these out.. just remember it's not a prybar. And no this one is not for sale lol.

7dbfe37e98963e70209c086bf622b693.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I love this knife. How much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fshaw

WKR
I have a couple of the original Stretch Carbon Fibers in ZDP189. They have certainly changed the blade shape.

WyoKid

WKR
I have a first gen Stretch and love it. I have been considering the Stretch XL or Native Chief. Anyone have the Native Chief that can post a review?