Cheap Stuff that Works

Took me 2 days, but I made it through all 60 pages of this thread. Some really great ideas in here. I'm going to surprise my wife with a bunch of the stuff I found during the long scroll. I mean, NONE OF IT will be for her, but boy will she be surprised. (and I know how much she loves surprises). Its the little things really. Anyway, thanks for all the great ideas. Keep it going.

Dented

WKR
"I'm going to surprise my wife with a bunch of the stuff I found during the long scroll. I mean, NONE OF IT will be for her, but boy will she be surprised. (and I know how much she loves surprises). Its the little things really."

🤣🤣🤣👍🏻

Loper

WKR
When skinning critters at home I like to use a Victorinox paring knife. I think I got several for $6 each. They sharpen easily and work well on furbearers.

I’m interested in this as from what I’ve looked it is very lightweight. However, I can’t find anything about what type of steel it is. Does it stay sharp for long? Have you tried it on anything other than furbearers, like deer or elk? Would you recommend it for a back country hunt?

Arcticmanak

Lil-Rokslider
It is a thinner blade and sharpens easily and seems to stay sharp for plenty long enough. I haven't done any big game animals with it, just fox, lynx and coyote. I wouldn't have any reservations using it on deer size game. But since it is more of a spear point shape, it might not be ideal for skinning thicker skinned game. I like it especially for finer detail type work.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered a bunch of stuff from 32 degrees for their latest sale, and bought the ultra-light down puffy. For $40, I figured it was worth a try. First impression: doesn't seem overly stuffed full of fill, but it felt plenty warm enough when I tried it on. I got the 2xl, and it's pretty roomy, easily can fit a few layers on underneath which is what I wanted (I'm 6ft, 250lbs). I didn't feel like a marshmellow man wearing it, so that's good. The pockets seem very well thought out and I was suprised at how many it had. It has 6 pockets, (two on the outside and 4 on the inside). Zipper felt good as well. Little bit of swishing sound when it rubs against itself. The stuff sack was an extra dollar and was a nice add. The jacket stuffed into the bag easily was was slightly bigger than a Nalgene bottle.

Never owned a down puffy before, so don't have anything to compare it too. For $40, hard to see how one could get much better though.

I'll take it up to NY in a couple of weeks and see how warm it actually is.

Inside of a cereal box with white rouge to strop broadheads. Also 9v and extra fine steel wool for emergency fire starter.

Also +1 on the energizer headlamps. I have had the same one for over five years and use it for everything from working in basements and crawl spaces to striper fishing at night and getting in and out of the woods in deer season

robtattoo

WKR
I’m interested in this as from what I’ve looked it is very lightweight. However, I can’t find anything about what type of steel it is. Does it stay sharp for long? Have you tried it on anything other than furbearers, like deer or elk? Would you recommend it for a back country hunt?

They're cheap, stamped stainless.
I use one in the field ALL the time. Caveat: I do carry a tiny little crock stick & touch it up regularly.

I've taken several deer & pigs & 2 elk to pieces with it & yes, it does require several licks on the stick in the process, but i need to stand up & strech my fat-ass back anyway! It gets incredibly sharp, incredibly quickly & easily, but don't expect it to hold that edge for long.
That's kinda the trade of with knives that literally nobody seems to get. It's either easy to sharpen OR it'll hold an edge for a long time, not both.
20190917_190934.jpg
20191103_091243.jpg

For guys just starting out (and seasoned hunters as well) I’ve found that “Play It Again Sports “ is an excellent source for used packs , camping , and mountaineering gear . A lot of it was used once or twice then sat in somebody’s closet or garage . I got a really nice pack for $60 that looked brand new . You never know what you might find because their inventory is always different . If you check in to see what they’ve got fairly often, you can come up on a Killer deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great idea, will have to try that

I don’t know if it has been mentioned yet but I just ordered coghlans fuel stove tablets from Amazon. It’s a 24 pack for around 7 bucks. I’ve used cotton balls in vasaline in the past with ok results and other products but these little tablets the size of a tums tablet will burn HOT for around 8-10 minutes. I’ve never used the pyro putty but I can’t imagine it doing any better.

dieNqvrs

Lil-Rokslider
Craft Beer aluminum can label bandaids. The labels are super sticky, water resistant and work great on skin for blister prevention and relief. Cut to size.
bd16eabffc22a6884389bfad317de148.jpg

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for Costco trekking poles.
Eddie Bauer jacket from Costco pretty warm for the cost. Returned the ghost whisperer 2 and got the Eddie Bauer jacket. This jacket kept me warm in late October CA.weather down to 30 degrees. I was only wearing the Kryptek bora jacket, the Eddie Bauer jacket and the rain jacket on top.

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have Ferrosi, but the Wranglers don't even resemble windproof. They're somewhat wind resistant, but when it picks up, you're going to feel it.
The wrangler flex pants are more for hot weather in my opinion. They are lightweight about 11 or 12 oz. I have the Kuiu Tiburon pants and the only noticeable difference are the side vents. I have used them both in a 98 degree weather and they are similar as far as breathability the Tiburon just perform slightly better due to the dot air fabric and vents.