Cheap Stuff that Works

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
Im sure this has been covered previously, but I just tried out the Cascade Mountain UltraLite carbon treking poles. $60 from amazon. They are nice and light, the locks didnt slide even with putting all my body weight on a single pole. Only annoying thing is they have a vibration/slight noise resonance when you put them onto the ground.But for the price and weight Ill keep using them.
I got some Tomshoo trekking poles from Amazon about 3 years ago for under 15 dollars each they are still going strong for me.

Here's a nice warm hoody for those that prefer natural fibers. This alpaca wool sweater makes a great insulator under a rain shell. It is lightweight, warm, and dries quickly. For $50, it's a deal compared to other alpaca and merino products out there. I have a Pacas alpaca hoody that is heavier and not as warm that cost $75 more. I think it's warmer than my columbia fleece layer but performs better when wet.

This thread is awesome!

Merino Tech base layers and underwear from Amazon. Not exactly "cheap", but a damn sight cheaper than comparable products from hunting brands.

4GIVON

FNG
I've used quite a few different types of machetes over the years. This one seems to cut thru woody stem items better than anything :

(Actually on sale right now)
Fiskars 78606935J, 9 Brush Axe, Black https://a.co/d/cc844jg

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

KBC

WKR
Last year I used a crossover stabilizer on my bow but I’m going to go back to my homemade one this year that I wrapped in that vet wrap stuff. I got a tacticool Multicam roll for under $20. Makes it a lot quieter if I bump my stab on something. It also makes it look cool and if I need it for a sprain or something I can take it off and use it for wrapping an ankle or something.

taskswap

WKR
Anyoo poncho, $15. Fast to put on and big enough to cover my pack without having to take it off. Doubles as a tarp, ground cover, and rain fly. I've also used it as a drop-cloth when field dressing, and whatever it's made of cleans up really easily even weeks later.

River Country Trekker Tent 2. $65 for a 2lb-12oz 2-man tent with a full bathtub floor. Loved it so much I bought a second one just in case:

Redcamp 96L Duffle. This thing is HUGE, honestly almost too big. It's not super sturdy but that's OK, I didn't get it to use in the field. I keep all my hunt clothes and gear in three of these, and they have a camo color option so I can tell them apart. Not bad for $19.

V-yoke style rifle rest with 1/4-20 mount. $12, a steal in my book, especially when dedicated "shooting sticks" can be $100 (or three times that). I mounted this to the top of a Costco carbon-fiber trekking pole and have a triple use, lightweight item for like $50.

Gerber Dime. $25 but on sale they're sometimes as low as $17. Cheaper than any other multi-tool, has my critical stuff (tweezers, nail file, bottle opener, box opener, backup blade, etc) in a tiny form factor that easily rides in a pant pocket:

Took me 2 days, but I made it through all 60 pages of this thread. Some really great ideas in here. I'm going to surprise my wife with a bunch of the stuff I found during the long scroll. I mean, NONE OF IT will be for her, but boy will she be surprised. (and I know how much she loves surprises). Its the little things really. Anyway, thanks for all the great ideas. Keep it going.
You sir are a legend. I made it through about 3 pages 🤣

highside74

Lil-Rokslider

I've used this extensively as a midlayer and really love it. If it had a hood it'd be unbeatable. You can occasionally find them for ~$12ish dollars on that site.
No longer available there. I'm only 5 or 6 pages in on this thread so far. Lol I'm 3 years behind. Is there a new place to buy these?

highside74

Lil-Rokslider
A quick internet search gave me lots of options, Amazon, eBay, Walmart, primary arms. The list goes on .
Thanks, I was so in the thread that I hadn't done a general Google search yet. Found a lot for what looks to be the same price as a few years ago.

I use preformed plastic bottles for seasonings..
It's much better than the entire thing in the kitchen cabinet and they don't get crushed like most cardboard containers and are mostly odor resistant.

Soda Bottle Preforms and Caps (30/pk) https://a.co/d/b0LHXgM

I also buy a bag of pool shock for 10 bucks or so.
This makes gallons and gallons of bleach for cleaning and water treatment. remember bleach loses its potency fast.

Hope this helps someone

hikenhunt

WKR
remember bleach loses its potency fast.
FWIW, this is highly dependent on several factors including dilution and storage and your definition of fast.

Also important to note that pool shock is calcium hypochlorite. Typical household bleach is sodium hypochlorite.

highside74

Lil-Rokslider
Costco has 2 packs of Eddie Bauer synthetic short-sleeve shirts. I think they were about $15
2 packs of Eddie Bauer what feel like a medium weight long sleeve synthetic shirts. Less than $20
Eddie Bauer unlined pants are back in stock at my Costcos but I no longer by them. The crotch doesn't last compared to UBtech or the Orvis pants.
I wear the Orvis, ubtech and Weatherproof daily. I like the Orvis and UBtech as my go to for daily wear and early season hunting.

Last edited: