Cheap basic fishing gear

OP
Coyote Commander
Well whatever you do, dont buy Quantums UL telescoping rod.

It did not survive two fish and a 12" cutthroat was enough to kill it. I used to fish a LOT, and ive never broken a rod while playing a fish before.

bbrown

WKR
Ha - that sucks. I have ABUSED my lil 5'6" ugly stick for for longer than I can remember and its still going strong other than a few slightly bent eyelets.

steveo

FNG
If you want to use flies, google tenkara rods. They collapse really small, don't need a reel. They expand to anywhere from 9' to 12' and only has a line attached. You can collapse them fully rigged, reach a good spot on the stream, extend and fish, then repeat. The good rods cost over $100 but you can buy the cheaper ones for less. Check them out.

eyetat

FNG
Just some experience try and find a good closed face reel much less problems in the dark or on windy days. Second if you must go open face take a heaver lure and cast as far as you can and wrap tape around the spool wind up the line and you can only have a mess as far down as the tape. Trust me this can save a lot of time.

dotman

WKR
While not cheap and basic, I won a Tenkara USA setup this year that will be traveling with me in the backcountry. Complete setup is around 4oz and that is with a full length pole. Now I have never used this type of setup but it looks fun.